This may interest some of you....

pixie9

Cathlete
As I was studying my CSCS book, I ran across some info that may be interesting to some. They theorize that people who have more fast-twitch fibers ( or 'type 2' fibers - used for power and short spurts of energy - sprinters, power lifters, etc) tend to have an easier time with hypertrophy (muscle enlargement) than those with more slow-twitch fibers (type 1 - used for endurance sports like cross country running). This may explain why people have completely different results with the same resistance program. Interesting huh?

Carolyn

Carolyn-
I'm so glad you posted! I was just talking to a client about this & told her I thought that was why her muscles developed so differently than mine... I think it does help explain just one of the many differences in the human physique.

> They theorize that people who have
>more fast-twitch fibers ( or 'type 2' fibers - used for power
>and short spurts of energy - sprinters, power lifters, etc)
>tend to have an easier time with hypertrophy (muscle
>enlargement) than those with more slow-twitch fibers (type 1 -
>used for endurance sports like cross country running).

I definitely think this is true, at least for me. I'm pretty much slow-twitch predominant (self-diagnosed, LOL!) and a hardgainer.

>I definitely think this is true, at least for me. I'm pretty
>much slow-twitch predominant (self-diagnosed, LOL!) and a
>hardgainer.

Ditto. I don't think I have a fast-twitch fiber in me. And just look at these tiny biceps! :p

Very interesting indeed. I believe that's why it takes me a longer time for gaining muscle.

Thanks for sharing,

Janie

4760884_bodyshot_175x233.gif
[/url]

The idea is to die young as late as possible.

It makes you wonder what Cathe's fast to slow twitch fiber ratio is. I'm thinking she has lots of both somehow.:) She has the power and strength of the fast twitch crowd with the endurance of slow twitch people. Some people have all the luck huh? :)

Carolyn

>It makes you wonder what Cathe's fast to slow twitch fiber
>ratio is. I'm thinking she has lots of both somehow.:) She has
>the power and strength of the fast twitch crowd with the
>endurance of slow twitch people. Some people have all the luck
>huh? :)

Oh, Cathe's not lucky. She's a cyborg. It's the only explanation!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.