This is my BIGGEST PET PEEVE!!! UGH!

Clarissa

Cathlete
Or at least one of my major ones (next to unsolicited advice, lol!)

I know we are ALL busy people. I am super duper busy from 4 am until 10 pm with 3 very small children, a full time training business that I run out of my home and I am a clean-aholic (so I make chores for myself! :)) BUT - BUT - I DESPISE when people (and I mean anyone) do not return my emails. And I am not talking about in a timely fashion. I mean, at all. I mean, seriously, don't leave me hanging. It is just plain rude. Then you have to wait several days, or a week, then write it again so you don't seem pushy. And you know they check them because you see them on Facebook and KNOW they are still around and on the computer... Then, you have to call them instead on the phone when you don't want to talk b/c you have 3 small kids and it is too hard! UGHUGHUGHUGHUGHUGH!!!!!!!!!

;)

CLarissa

It is very irritating and one of my pet peeves, too - I find it more so dealing with businesses, especially those that take the time to have a web presence, no matter how small. For example, I wanted a gazebo, and they have a form on their website to build one and get a price quote. I did that, submitted it, didn't hear a word, sent them an email with the same information, didn't hear a word. THEN, I called them and she wanted all my information AGAIN, and I said well, you have it on a form, you have it on an email, and she said, "oh, we never pay attention to those". OMG.

And there is a university in my area that won't respond for my request for information (again on a web form), they won't call me back when I call, so I am ending up going elsewhere.

I work hard and I work a lot, I really don't have time to pick up the phone and call people again and again.

I hate this, too. Right now I am waiting for a teacher to reply to my email about summer homework. She assigned summer homework (which I hate with a passion) and I have a question about it and she hasn't gotten back to me. So, I guess students are supposed to work over the summer, but not the teachers? :mad:

Erica

Well, I'm one of those people not answering emails--because I am also busy and it's just not a high priority. Sorry. I apologize on behalf of all my fellow offenders. I actually do answer Facebook messages faster than emails because they don't seem to get buried in the inbox. I used to be one of those people who answered emails immediately but then other people answered me back immediately and it got rather overwhelming. I do eventually clean out my inbox but it takes me an embarrassingly long time.

Oh, and if I get a time-sensitive email (like asking if I can meet up at a certain time) I will usually respond to that one quickly. It's emails that require a long answer that take longer to answer.

If it's business, I'd be annoyed, but, if it's personal, and I see them on FB I'd figure they don't check their e-mail that much or that they're just not that into me.

I warn everyone that I check my email once a month and if they email me something they better call me to let me know. I guess I feel if something is important they can take the time to call me. A phone call usually can settle all questions immediately, while it sometimes takes multiple emails to get all info. This wastes a lot of my time. If my business was just taking orders by email my answer might be different.

I hear ya -- I'm really busy as well, but I'm one of these people who like some response (whether work-related or business!). For them not to respond at all, I get really irritated. Sometimes if it's someone who usually responds quickly, I resend the e-mail (especially my work-related ones). I, myself, have been known to delete messages accidentally. But yes, I do agree with you on this issue!!

Julie

I'm by no means a *fast* responder to emails(I've been known to take 2-3 days to get back to people) but one of my pet peeves is people who use *I'm busy* as an excuse for rudeness.

I'm sorry, but we're all busy. That doesn't give you a justifiable excuse to be rude. Whether it's responding to emails, R.S.V.P.-ing an invitation or returning a phone call, being *busy* does not make it okay to be rude to people.

I don't necessarily think it's *worse* for a business to do this than an individual but it's certainly a bad idea if you want to grow a successful business.

Some people just don't feel that we "owe" everyone who emails us an immediate reply. I do think being busy is a valid excuse if it's not an urgent email situation. I choose to spend my time in other ways than endlessly answering emails.

Oh, yet I spend time blathering away on forums. Silly me. :p

Some people just don't feel that we "owe" everyone who emails us an immediate reply. I do think being busy is a valid excuse if it's not an urgent email situation. I choose to spend my time in other ways than endlessly answering emails.

Oh, yet I spend time blathering away on forums. Silly me. :p

Well, since no one ever said anything about immediate replies, I don't think anyone disagrees with you. And, of course, *busy* is a valid excuse for not immediately answering non-urgent situations. The point is not replying to an email, a phone call, etc., at some point is just rude, whether you're busy or not. Everyone is busy and it's disrespectful to the other person to just ignore them.

OK, can agree with that. I do eventually get around to answering people--I never just delete them or ignore them completely.

Yes, Lainie! How dare you!!!!:p

Carola,
052.gif

Now that is weird. I read TeTe and got Carola. And I have even met you. Definitely a good gal to get mixed up with, though, right?

(Love ya, TeTe)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.