Thinking of getting a cat . . .

My wienies don't shed bad and they've never clawed anything. ;) They are perfect little angels. HA! Honestly, with animals, your house is going to get crapped up at some point (literally and figuratively). My DH's most common saying is "We just can't have nice things!" ;)

Or skip the cat and get a snake! Not much shedding, and when it does occur, it is usually in one really cool, long piece. Poops are minimal. Feeding is a breeze...

Carrie

My mini-schnauzer mixies are non-shedding, delightful, and never scratch anything. Good company on long walks, short walks, or staying inside because it's too cold for ANY walks. However, there is certainly much more barking involved in my life than ever before. :eek:

primarily an outdoor cat and could be declawed at

Well, its probably not a good idea to have an outdoor cat declawed. Without their claws they have no self defenses.

However, that said we adopted a kitty who is outdoors sleeps in the garage, and does just fine. The garage is closed to the elements. She has a little cat bed up on a table and her food is close by. She has her covered cat box close to the garage door so that I can scoop it easily.

I "take great delight" in my kitty. Her name is Maria. She is a good size, long hair, Maine Coon. She was a rescue. We think she was just lost and picked up because she is so tame and friendly. We got a chip put in her because her sense of direction is not always the best. She does come when you call her name. She has been on occasion known to scratch the furniture but we shout at her and she stops immediately (no lasting damage.) We got her on adoption day at Pets Mart.

Bwahahahaha! Who would of thought a simple question about a cat could garner 4 pages!!!

Rocks don't shed, but they are hell to cuddle. They aren't to hard to walk if you get a toy breed. A big rock, like a St Boulder, is a real drag to walk.

One more thing, did I mention that Maria would sing all night? Especially in the beginning. And for the first two weeks, you have to keep her in a small room (this is what we were told) to help her understand that this is her new home. I did not sleep for those two weeks because my bedroom is one story above the bathroom. Poor thing, she was scared but I think that having come from a foster to adopt situation was more traumatic than coming to live here. We live in a rural area and Maria was fixed when we got her. We bring her inside when the weather is bad (extreme heat/cold.) She still sings on some nights.

Meooooooooowwww Meowwwwwww. often there is nothing wrong she just likes to hear her own voice.

Carrie - Brilliant, now why didn't I think of that! ;)

Liann - you can give advice on how to raise rare snakes and make the big bucks! I only had a ball python. I really liked her though!

Of course, if the snake gets too big, you won't need to worry about other pets:eek:!

Carrie

Bwahahahaha! Who would of thought a simple question about a cat could garner 4 pages!!!

Rocks don't shed, but they are hell to cuddle. They aren't to hard to walk if you get a toy breed. A big rock, like a St Boulder, is a real drag to walk.

The miniature poodle rocks don't require grooming. :p

we just spent the last 6 months catching ferals in our part of the neighborhood, taking them to the SPCA for spay/neutering (catch & release), we missed the mommy by a couple weeks, so there was another brood, ugghh:(

it was either that or the end of the road for them.... just couldn't do it, now we have a bunch of ferals, most we've seen grow up, at least they won't be making any more little kitties...

If you do get a cat spay/neuter, I'd like to find a sanctuary for ours, not really a cat person, & the d-o-g still thinks he wants to eat them!

I'm a fan of the outdoor variety, and they did pretty good given how cold it's been this winter.

Linda

Wow! Thank you all very much for your responses and information. I do think, based on this thread and further talks I've had with DH, that getting a cat of any kind (or dog or snake or even pet rock) is not in our short- or mid-term future.

Appreciate all the input!

A-Jock

I agree but...

I wanted to thank you for your opinion. I agree that "millions of unwanted and homeless aimals are born, suffer, and die because people don't spay/neuter. All this suffering could be completely avoided by getting animals fixed." I spent months last year trying to 'live trap' stray cats to have them spayed/neutered. I caught a litter of kittens (that I found homes for), the kitten's mother and the meanest tomcat that I ever want to meet. That doesn't include five raccoons, a woodchuck and opossum that happened to get in the live trap. All critters were released on another part of our farm and I count my blessings that I didn't get to meet a skunk in my cat trapping adventure. :) The cats were neutered & vaccinated. Mr. Feral Tomcat was released to his delight and the lovely 'Mom' cat is mine until I find a home for her (she still has her claws and is sleeping on my bed).

I feel a cat's life and finding a responsible owner is more important than the tips of it's toes. Declawing might save the cat's future. I appreciate your thoughtful opinion and hope you can think kindly if someone disagrees.

Sandi

Sandi, I do respect your opinion, though I disagree about declawing. It's common practice here so people naturally assume it's humane, but that doesn't make it so. I do agree though that it's harder on older cats than it is on kittens.

Neutering/spaying is very different than declawing. Declawing is like cosmetic surgery, whereas neutering/spaying is essentially life-saving surgery. Millions of unwanted and homeless animals are born, suffer, and die because people don't spay/neuter. All this suffering could be completely avoided by getting animals fixed.

Declawing is a radical solution to a problem. It's like someone who doesn't like cat fur on their furniture giving the cat an operation to permanently remove all of the cat's fur. It's like people who have their dogs de-barked. Claws are like fur--part of the package.

On the other hand, spaying/neutering is a humane solution to a real problem.

Last edited:
I feel a cat's life and finding a responsible owner is more important than the tips of it's toes. Declawing might save the cat's future. I appreciate your thoughtful opinion and hope you can think kindly if someone disagrees.

Oh, sure I can think kindly. :) I don't know about all the others who posted here who are anti-declawing, and of course, I still don't agree about declawing, but I admit that, if it could choose, a cat might trade 10 amputated toes for a home. It's a pretty steep price though, isn't it?

You really rock for trapping and fixing all those cats! What an ordeal that must have been. I think we're all grateful for people like you (and the kitties are too I'm sure...well, maybe not the Tom!).

A-Jock, sounds like you made the right decision for you at this time. Hope we didn't jump all over you too harshly. Us kitty-folk are obviously a bit, um, opinionated!

AJ, that's how I feel about a dog. Every few months or so I think it's time we finally get a dog, something DH and I thought we'd have 30 years ago when we first got married. Then I remember the walking in rain or snow, the dirty feet on hardwood floors, the problem with boarding when traveling, and I realize we just aren't dog people. I think it's wise to not give in to the idea of a cuddly kitten or a faithful dog if it's just not right for you.

Robin, I adore your quote! A.A. Milne's Pooh books are still some of my very favorite things in the whole wide world. :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.