Thinking about becoming a Personal Trainer

mbmundt

Cathlete
Hi,

I've been seriously thinking about becoming a personal trainer. I have looked at some schools online but there are lots to choose from. Is it best to get ACE certified? I looking for suggestions of schooling to go to. What about taking an online course? I was thinking if I could get schooling that would give me the opportunity to be a personal trainer or a wellness coach or something along those lines.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Brenda

I have found my NASM certification to be the best investment in the fitness industry. (National Association of Sports Medicine) It is an intensive course, but well worth the efforts as it is highly recognized to get you employment.

Many people ask me if they think being a personal trainer would work for them and I have them ask themselves the following questions.

1. Do I have the interest/skills in running the business end of training? Record keeping, marketing, newsletters, outreach etc.

2. Do I have the flexibility for the unusual hours? Trainers work when their clients don't...many early morning, evening, and weekend hours.

3. Do I have the ability/interest to work with diverse populations? Additonal certifications will be needed to work with special populations.

There is simply so much more to being a good trainer than putting people through a series of exercises...you must motivate, encourage, correct, change directions...all at the same time. It is an awesome job if you think you want to put in the time and effort!

Good luck and keep us posted on what you decide!

Hi Gillian,

Thank you so much for the input. I know it's a big decision to make for all the right reasons. Health and fitness are my passion. I've been sitting behind a desk the majority of my career and I need to change something. Staring at a computer screen all day has been giving massive headaches. It makes for along day when dealing with that every day. Aside of the fact, I would really love to do something I love doing.

Thanks again!!
Brenda

That is great news! I, too, changed careers as I simply had to. It's just that I see many come and go in the industry as they didn't quite understand just how much "business" came into the picture in order to make a decent living!

Sounds like you have thought everything through and are ready to roll!! Please feel free to email me with any thoughts or concerns! Our industry needs all the top talent we can find...nothing is more important than our health!!

Find out what the certification in your area which is most popular or accepted. When I was a certified aerobics instructor, ACE was the one in my region. Things change. Good luck.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.