Thinking about adopting a 2nd dog

hopefull

Cathlete
I had a Lhasa for 16 years and lost her under tragic circumstances. She's been gone a little over a year, and we are thinking of adopting this adorable schnapso, schnauzer/lhasas mix. She is in a foster home right now. The deal is she tested positive for heartworms. She isn't very old(between 1 and 2 years) and was terribly neglected before coming to her current home. She was all matted and pregnant. Lost all but two of her pups. I've been corresponding with her foster mom, and she truly sounds like the dog we want to take home, but I'm concerned about the heartworm deal. Can dogs truly be cured when they've tested positive? She's done with the treatment, but will need to be on preventative for the rest of her life? I will never have a purebread dog from a breeder again. I've fallen in love with the idea of rescuing "mutts". Our current dog is a cockerspaniel, basset hound mix adopted from the local shelter. He is a sweetheart, but gets lonely when we are gone! He gets depressed when I have to go back to work at the end of the summer after being home with him so much. I don't want to fall in love with this little cutey and then lose her due to the heartworm issue. We are going to meet her in person tomorrow.

Yes! Dogs can recover from heartworms, if they're treated early enough. If she's already undergone the treatment and is worm free and "cured" already and just on prevention now, she should be fine. I would double check with your vet, but I had a friend who had to go through this. We keep our dogs on prevention anyway every month to avoid them even getting heartworms.

Rescues often become the best dogs! I think it's great that you want to do this! I so love dogs! Some of our best family dogs growing up were mutts that we rescued.

Good luck with your visit tomorrow! Try to talk to your vet before you go about the heartworm issue!

Tricia

My SIL worked for the humane society in South Carolina. The majority of the dogs that were rescued tested positive for heartworm. But the majority were cured and restored to healthy status so they could be adopted and have a happy life. In fact my brother and SIL have 5 (yes 5) adopted dogs all of which had heartworm in a previous life. Adopt away my friend.....;)

Yes, they can be cured, and it sounds like she's all set to go! If it's a responsible shelter they won't let her go until she's heartworm-free. And ALL dogs need to be on a monthly heartworm preventative!

American Heartworm Society is a good place to learn more.

I hope you decide to adopt the Schnapso and post some photos!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.