Think I'm going to sell my GWF...

meowracer

Cathlete
I got this little device and have used it for a week. It is great but I have now found that pedometers do not work for me. The function works some of the time but does not accurately count my steps. I tried DH's Omron and it basically counted nothing. Works great for him but something about the way I walk does not register. The calorie counting is right on and the sleep function is too. It is just the movement that gets missed. Anybody else have this problem? It works perfectly when I work out on the TM and stepmill so there is something in my everyday stepping pattern that must not be strong enough or something. I only want back what I paid for it ($175 for arm unit and display) but am not sure if ebay is the best way to go as a buy it now or what. I even still have most of the 3 months free remaining and am tempted to keep it until then at least but am already finding that I am not wearing it consistently so I figure, what's the point?! Thanks in advance for any advice :)

Hi Shana,

Have you tried contacting the company to see what they have to say?

I know mine misses around 400 steps per mile (based on my other pedometers), but I just keep moving until I hit my target. The other night, I jogged in place in my jammies & bare feet at 11 pm to get my last 1000 steps in!

Good luck!

I would call the company. You may have one that is defective in some way. It's worth a try before you give up on it!

Tricia

Thanks, guys. I did contact the company to ask about the problem but then tried a regular pedometer and it basically did not count any steps. DH wears it - and he is less active than myself - and he easily exceeds 10,000 steps. I am lucky to see 5000. Guess I could try returning - I got it on Amazon. The only problem is that it is an issue with me and not the device. Joan - I laughed when I read your post!

Hi Shana,

Have you tried contacting the company to see what they have to say?

I know mine misses around 400 steps per mile (based on my other pedometers), but I just keep moving until I hit my target. The other night, I jogged in place in my jammies & bare feet at 11 pm to get my last 1000 steps in!

Good luck!
LOL!!! I do the same thing! Or sometimes I have all of my steps in but I'm still short the calories I'm supposed to burn so I start doing doing jump squats at 11:45 PM. :eek:

Shana, I replied to you on FB. ;) :D

I've had my GWF for about a month and I'm having trouble with it! I had to charge the battery last Friday. I charged it overnight, wore it all day Saturday, and then Sunday morning it stated beeping and the battery was dead! I was out of town for the weekend and didn't have any way to recharge it. We got home late last night and I plugged it into the computer and let it charge overnight again, and after 5 hours it still wasn't fully charged. I'm SO bummed out!! I guess I'm going to have to replace it. I bought mine from Amazon. Should I return it to them or email CS at Body Media first?

Last edited:
I've had my GWF for about a month and I'm having trouble with it! I had to charge the battery last Friday. I charged it overnight, wore it all day Saturday, and then Sunday morning it stated beeping and the battery was dead! I was out of town for the weekend and didn't have any way to recharge it. We got home late last night and I plugged it into the computer and let it charge overnight again, and after 5 hours it still wasn't fully charged. I'm SO bummed out!! I guess I'm going to have to replace it. I bought mine from Amazon. Should I return it to them or email CS at Body Media first?

I've had mine for just a couple of weeks. Lately I'm only charging it every few days. It takes about 15 minutes to 'go green'. Did you notice this recently? I would definitely contact the company.

Re: charging away from a computer
I'm planning a vacation away from a computer soon so I contacted the company. I have a couple of mini USB wall chargers I use for my PDA. The company said I could use them IF they were good ones (I sent them my specs and they said it should work) BUT beware the cheap ones. Apparently the cheaper ones aren't too picky on the ranges and it can cause a problem.

--> :D because I didn't want to take a vacation from my GWF! :p

I've had mine for just a couple of weeks. Lately I'm only charging it every few days. It takes about 15 minutes to 'go green'. Did you notice this recently? I would definitely contact the company.

Re: charging away from a computer
I'm planning a vacation away from a computer soon so I contacted the company. I have a couple of mini USB wall chargers I use for my PDA. The company said I could use them IF they were good ones (I sent them my specs and they said it should work) BUT beware the cheap ones. Apparently the cheaper ones aren't too picky on the ranges and it can cause a problem.

--> :D because I didn't want to take a vacation from my GWF! :p
Hi Babindy!! I'm LOL because I was so distressed that my GWF died over the weekend! I'm a total slave to this thing! :eek:

Well, I didn't take a USB cord with me on my trip because I was sure I wouldn't need to recharge it again. I was only gone for 3 days and a fully charged armband should last for 5 to 7 days. I plugged it into the computer at 2AM and it still isn't fully charged! It's been 12 hours now so I better contact Body Media. I HATE being without it. I've already noticed a decline in my activity since I stopped wearing the armband. :(

I plugged it into the computer at 2AM and it still isn't fully charged! It's been 12 hours now so I better contact Body Media.(

Definitely sounds like a defect. Bummer :(

I've already noticed a decline in my activity since I stopped wearing the armband. :(

I always thought I was moderately active away from my desk. Turns out - not as much as I thought. I WAS surprised by how active I was on the weekend. All those stores and chores adds up. At least for moderate activity. I really have to work to get the vigorous level. Now? I'm always trying to 'beat' my former values. Yes I am a nerd. :p

I am returning mine to Amazon and thanks to those who mentioned that. I had no idea how easy it would be!

Michele - I had not even seen the later replies to this thread until now and see you got yours on Amazon too. I first of all contacted the GWF company and heard back from them, then contacted Amazon through my account page. It is super fast and easy. They even give you a postage free label to print out.

I am returning mine to Amazon and thanks to those who mentioned that. I had no idea how easy it would be!

Michele - I had not even seen the later replies to this thread until now and see you got yours on Amazon too. I first of all contacted the GWF company and heard back from them, then contacted Amazon through my account page. It is super fast and easy. They even give you a postage free label to print out.
Shana, thanks for posting! I just wrote to Body Media and I'm waiting to hear back from them. I'm SO BUMMED OUT though! I was doing really well and I'm not ready to be separated from my security armband. :p :D

I'm really glad you were able to return yours for a full refund.

LOL to Babindy and Michele! Glad I'm not the only one who does this :p.

Michele - I'd be so bummed if mine did that! I hope you get it resolved quickly w/ the company.

Shana - I'm so glad you got a quick refund from Amazon--they are so great to work w/. You must have the footsteps of an angel that they don't register w/ pedometers. I'm not that graceful or lightfooted. :eek: My DH, OTOH rivals Paul Bunyon w/ the noise he makes walking/stomping! (Good thing I love him to pieces! :eek:)

Last edited:
Michele, that really is a bummer. Let us know how it gets resolved. I hope you are your GWF can be reunited very soon.

Amy

Thanks Amy and Jonahnah! I haven't heard back from the fine folks at GWF yet, but my armband is finally charged and I'm wearing it. It's funny because when I checked it late this afternoon the memory and battery lights still hadn't turned green. Just for the heck of it I logged in to the site, launched the activity manager, and clicked on the tab to upload the armband which indicated that it was fully charged. I disconnected it from the computer and pressed the button and the lights were green! It seems to be working now but I'll be anxious to see what happens in the next 24 hours. I'll post again when I get a reply from Body Media.

Update!!

I got an email from Body Media this morning. They sent me a UPS return label and promised to send me a new armband as soon as my return is processed. They're also extending my subscription to the Activity Manager by 2 weeks. I'm very pleased with their response, especially since I ordered it from Amazon!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.