Things you didn't know *pets edition*

mom418

Cathlete
Rabbits-

will warn other animals by stomping their feet loudly if they are scared or angry,
and will defend themselves even kick the offending animal
(it was quite a sight to see our puppy afraid of the rabbit afterwards, lol. We'll have to get that on video.)

They eat all kinds of kitchen scraps. These are some of the ones I was surprised by:
green onions, baked sweet potato peelings, the rind of any citrus or melon, peanut shells, and squash seeds.

If there is more than 1 rabbit living together it's possible to over groom the other rabbit. They seem to do this constantly.

Rabbits eat wires of any kind, so be careful.
===============
Dogs

Huskies are all born with blue eyes.

I'm sure there's still so much to learn about cats,dogs or other pets. Anyone else want to share?

Last edited:
Greyhounds can run 45 mph. They are very loving, lazy, low maintenance dogs; they don't need any more exercise than any other breed, and they don't need a large yard to run in - they will run circles when they want to run.

Hummingbirds - the large ones flap their wings 10 to 15 times a second; the small ones flap 80!

Having tropical fish for the first time in my life, I'm learning that fish are extremely fascinating! They all have their own little personalities and agenda's. I'm actually quite smitten by them :).

My 15gal tank now consists of 3 Danio, 3 Guppies, 3 Platy. The Platy and Guppies are very sweet and non-aggressive. They come up to the tank and say "hello" if they see you looking in. They rarely chase the other fish around and they tend to "sleep" or "rest" more when we turn off the lights in the evening. They also can be seen eating the algae off the glass, plants and decor. My Danio fish OTOH are totally different. They are constantly non-stop, chasing eachother around, playing games all around the tank. They are labeled as non-aggressive, but I find them to be a little more aggressive than the Guppies and Platy (they tend to "nip" fins). They are also HUGE gluttons! They will eat more than the other fish and never miss a flake! One is actually getting a bit pudgy :confused:. I should introduce her to Cathe :D.

Natasha

LOL on the rabbit and dog. Mine used to play together. The rabbit would wake the dog up and then the chase would start. I had to stop it as they got older because the dog got hold of the rabbit once and had fur in her mouth. The rabbit was ok but we had to keep a gate up blocking the dog from the rabbit. We had all cords covered or hidden. They do chew through them really quickly. They also chew the seal up around the refigerator. Mine used to run and sit in the bottom of the refrigerator whenever it was open wanting a treat. I always heard regular potato peels could be harmful to a rabbit. I guess sweet potato is different. Ours liked popcorn.

Things I didn't know....Some mastiffs slobber and some don't.
Isabella doesn't slobber, but her brother Romeo slobbers big time!
We have a bib for Romeo to wear when company comes over. It has a superman logo on it and says, "These fools put my cape on backwards!" :D

Even though Romeo slobbers....he is one cool dude! :cool: I wouldn't trade him for all the slobber free dogs in the world. He LOVES to be touched, actually craves it. I think he would make a fantastic touch therapy dog, but I'm unsure of the slobber. He slimes people!:eek:
031_zpsa3200186.jpg

There is a discussion about the end of the world(Mayan)...and of course Zombie apocalypse was mentioned.:D

I had to post this here because we are talking about pets. :D
Things you didn't know....Did you know zombies will eat canine brains?:D

I bought this zombie bed set for my son's new apartment and he took a photo of his dog laying on it.
IMG_6467_zps4acb6809.jpg

Here is the full bed set. I had to stalk this etsy shop for months before I was lucky enough to get one. They are hand painted by the artist and sell out within minutes of posting in the shop.
[
zombie_zps8431a50d.jpg

fit44, OMGoodness...the pics of your dogs just made my day. How CUTE! And Romeo's bib, how funny! I know they give you endless smiles :D

Rabbits-

will warn other animals by stomping their feet loudly if they are scared or angry,
and will defend themselves even kick the offending animal
(it was quite a sight to see our puppy afraid of the rabbit afterwards, lol. We'll have to get that on video.)

They eat all kinds of kitchen scraps. These are some of the ones I was surprised by:
green onions, baked sweet potato peelings, the rind of any citrus or melon, peanut shells, and squash seeds.

If there is more than 1 rabbit living together it's possible to over groom the other rabbit. They seem to do this constantly.

Rabbits eat wires of any kind, so be careful.
===============
Dogs

Huskies are all born with blue eyes.

I'm sure there's still so much to learn about cats,dogs or other pets. Anyone else want to share?

A good retriever would rather retrieve a ball, retrieving dummy, frisbee, a stick, etc. rather than eat, sleep or swim. We had two Labs and our boy would retrieve one time but then preferred to play "catch me if you can" so he didn't fall into this category. But our girl had the breeding...I've never seen a dog that passionate about retrieving an item and so eager to keep going and going and going. She would literally drop from exhaustion before she was willing to stop, if we had let her.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.