Thin Celebs

lay

I'm so amazed at how thin some celebs are! I just saw some photos of Whitney Houston, and she looks like she's all bones. How do these celebs get so thin? They look ok 1 day, then a month later, they're totally different. If I don't eat, I get tired- how can they exercise so much and eat so little, and still work long 16 hour days??
Just wanted to vent!

I don't want to be nasty, but according to a certain tabloid, Whitney got that way by using too much nose candy. Not the way I want to get thin. The picture they displayed makes her look haggard and entirely too thin. Maybe they're wrong and she's been really working out...who knows.

I'm soooo glad someone asked this question!!! I look at all the celebrity photos in the magazines, etc. and just don't understand how these women can get so thin. It completely amazes me. Do they really exercise obsessively and eat nothing but salad? Is it all just no-carb diets? It seems some of these women can completely change in only one month. Do they all smoke cigarettes and avoid food? Even Renee Zellweger looks even skinnier than what she started at before she gained the weight for her movie. They are all around a size 2. I am baffled. And to look around and see these very thin women is hard on my self confidence. We are trained to think we must look like that in order to be attractive. I just want to find out HOW THEY DO IT?? Excessive cardio? More weights? We need to get one of these "trainer to the stars" in a room and give us all the secrets!!

Does anyone have ANY ideas on just what these women are doing??

Their income depends on how they look, and don't forget that they have LARGE incomes! They can afford to hire personal trainers and personal cooks!

They are driven by the media, who photograph them and comment on how fat or thin they look. This has been going on for decades, way back to when we admired the skinny (but ever classy) Audrey Hepburn. It's so easy to get caught up in that, but it's not worth it if you have to devote hours a day to exercise and diet to look like they do. Why do we have to get down to a size 2? What's wrong with a 6 or an 8?

It's worth it to work hard to get in shape, but it's not worth getting depressed if you're not skinny. Read, read, read, and be smart with your workouts and your eating.

For what it's worth, take it or leave it.

I've read that Jennifer Aniston does The Zone diet...lots of other celebs too. Still, it seems like it must be more than diet alone. And if they're working 16 hr days where are they finding the time to workout for hours on end as well? Not to mention find and marry a guy like Brad Pitt? Maybe California has more hours in a day than the rest of us.

I personally wouldn't use any Hollywood types as role models for exercising and being healthy. Most of them are starving themselves, smoking like crazy, and/or doing blow/amphetamines to keep weight off. Plus you see the airbrushed versions of them ninety nine percent of the time. Alot of the women look like hell without makeup, such as when you see them running thru an airport. Look at the arms and legs to see if they really are working out. Most have no muscle tone at all. As for Brad Pitt, you cannot even see him when he stands sideways the guy is soooo bony!! lol! And who decided that Calista Flockhart and Julia Roberts are THE ideal of what women need to look like? I think they are both dogs.....Cathe is sexier than any of them! I wanna know when Cathe's first feature action film is due out dammit!!! lol!!!
Trevor :) :-jumpy

I have to agree with you Trevor...bad role models. I'm always amazed at how wrinkly those skinny women are when they have a close up taken, even with all the airbrushing...yuk. I don't know, those of us with kids, and goodness knows those hollywood "beauties" have them, what kind of role model do we want to be? Yes, exercise and a healthy lifestyle, but obsessive? Not a good thing for our kids to be raised around. I've heard that alot of celebs are into enimas as a way of keeping their weight down..gross me out! Maybe that is why their skin is so wrinkly though...

I know that Jennifer's former personal trainer Kathleen Kahler dropped her when she went on the high protein diet. I agree- no great roll models there!

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Oct-01-01 AT 11:43AM (Est)[/font][p]I agree with HB that a lot of their secret is in their bank accounts! They pay someone to cook the healthiest meals and a trainer to follow them around to fit in exercise when they get a break in their schedules. Same way they pay top of the line professional to make their hair and skin look fabulous and pay top designers to outfit them. But most of the celebs have scrawny shapeless arms - eeewww. You know who I thought looked the most fabulous? Angela Bassett when she played Tina Turner in "What's Love Got to Do With It?" That woman was buff!

Sorry Trevor, but I gotta disagree about Brad - what a dish, and he does have some great abs! ;-)

Lorrie

I'm in agreement with those who say NOT to use these "skinny" (not "lean", not "healthy" ) celebs as role models. This is the kind of thinking that leads to anorexia and other unhealthy habits. Instead, look to fit celebs (like Yancy Butler or Brooke Shields, or even Cybil Shepard, who is big compared to the skinny stars that are mentioned, but has very healthy bones (I fear that the skinny=minnies are going to end up with a bad case of osteoporosis in the future). Kudos to Kathe Kaeler for voicing her opposition to the faddish and--in the long term--unhealthy high protein diet.

Trevor, you need to get after Hasbro to put out a Cathe action figure! Sort of like a modern day Wonder Woman!;-)

I would LOVE being a trainer to the stars. I live near Nashville, home of "Country Music" and we get stars and wannabe stars in our gym occasionally.

Think about that "Bob" guy that worked with Oprah for so long. Can you imagine getting paid $250,000 a year just to slap the fried chicken out of her hand? rofl!!!!

Oops, then I'd be on the floor looking for that fried chicken and tucking it away for my own snack!!! You know if it's been on the floor for less than 5 seconds it's still good to eat, right?

Since you brought it up, even Oprah, with more money than a lot of countries, can't get a handle on her weight. There are some things money can't buy, and discipline ain't one of them. She needs to pay attention to Dr. ("tell it like it is") Phil. I wonder if he's ever taken her aside and said, "Now, let's cut through the crap, girl!"

In all fairness, maybe Oprah does have a handle on her weight. This maybe the healthy weight for her. I have seen more than a few distance runners that are anything but thin looking. In great shape and looking they way they are suppose to look for them. I do believe a lot of people assume that since one works out seriously and watches their diet they will look a certain way, or be a certain size. I sure learned my lesson on that after seeing some of the local marathon runners here.

Thanks for that reply Bridge. I have been a size 14 all of my adult life. My very naturally thin husband never works out and is not in good shape. I am in good shape, and more importantly, my heart and bones are in good shape. When we do things with the kids, like bike ride or walk, he cannot keep up. Looking at us, people would make the assumption that I would be the slow one! My diet is better than his, but I remain this size.

Oprah may very well be in good shape, and that is the size her body wants to be.

Dorothy

I think Oprah's come to terms with her body. She works out and is healthy but she also enjoys really wonderful food.

Dorothy, my husband is the same. I work out like crazy but maintain a fair amount of body fat on my ab/hip area (apple). He does everything one should not do and looks slim as a wippet! Of course, I can run circles around him!

B http://www.plaudersmilies.de/yellows/talker.gif obbi

RE: Thin husbands

My husband is like that also - he eats whatever and whenever and stays extremely thin. He says the more he eats, the faster his body burns it off and gets frustrated because he can't gain weight. It's not fair!!
I have to starve myself in order to stay thin. I used to do this, but I'm not willing to do it anymore. I gained a lot of weight last year and I'm healthier than I've been in my entire adult life. I exercise a lot and eat well (most of the time) and just have to learn to accept my body the way it is. I went to the doctor last week and he told me not to lose weight because my body has finally recovered from starving for so many years.
Erica

Lolipop Chicks

Hi all! I had to add my two cents. These scrawny Hollywood "beauties" (barf!) look like lollipops---big old heads on stick bodies. Ugh. The only curves they have are silicone implants. They look like prepubscent boys, not women, for crying out loud. Isabella Rossalini (I've misspelled her name, sorry) has such a healthy attitude about eating--she refused to starve herself. Just my opinion, but I think she is a million times prettier than Calista Flockhart. Carre Otis also said the hell with starving and decided to eat like a normal person. She's now a very successful "plus size" model (she wears a size 12, I think). Kate Dillion is also more beautiful than most of the starved supermodel types. Let's face it, "real women" are the best. We eat healthy, indulge ourselves every once in awhile, and work out. I wouldn't want to look like the lollipop chicks for the world. Suzanne

Brad looked pretty fit in SNATCH...the pike bare knuckle incomprehensible boxer...yeah riight...like HE could cause ANY damage. Lol...someone described him as being "As skinny as a ferret" He must be real skinny that's why his muscles show, he doesnt look like he has any mass at all. But his wife does look pretty good in Friends...is that because everyone on the show is just as skinny?

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.