The Tudors are back!

LauraMax

Cathlete
This has got to be my favorite show ever! The drama, the costumes, JRM.......OK he looks nothing like Henry VIII but he sure is purdy. :)

Now if they'd just bring back Rome...........

Definitely one of my FAVORITE shows! I'm so excited it's back! I hear you can watch the premiere online already. I'm gonna hold out for HD at home! :)

I too absolutely love the Tudors. I saw the premiere episode for season three on instant watching with Netfllix. Can't wait for the rest of the episodes. I loved the Anne Boleyn episodes.

I've only seen the first season. Looks like I'm going to have to get my hands on #2.

Rome was excellent. At first I was turned off with the rather graphic approach, but I love history and kept watching...so glad I did. Augustus rocks. :eek:

I am SO excited!!!!!!!!! Love the opening theme song!!

and my DH just brought home a 47 inch LCD - HD here I come!!

Yeah, I am also a history person and cannot watch this show because of the "no relation to reality" problem, but...

I did watch the very first episode and I didn't mind that they cast Rhys-Davies as Henry since he was a young, VERY fit, athletic guy. Finally, someone was acknowledging that he was considered the most attractive monarch in Europe until his leg ulcerated and he got depressed and could no longer exercise (started getting bad around Jane Seymour, went to hell by the end of Katherine Howard). But then the fellow who played the Duke of Buckingham strolled in -- tall, broad shoulders, red haired, and I was immediately irritated -- he should have been Henry!!!

BTW, one day, someone will shoot a mini series about Henry where they actually look at a picture of Katherine of Aragon (the only wife I saw -- and there are at least 3 extant portraits of her) and note that she was fair skinned and red haired -- not dark skinned and black haired. Just because she was Spanish royalty does not mean she was typically Spanish in appearance -- she was, in fact, closely related to Henry and had many northern European ancestors.

End of Rant,

Tobermory

Yeah, I am also a history person and cannot watch this show because of the "no relation to reality" problem, but...
:D You sound like my SIL (a history teacher). She can't enjoy some programs without combing them for errors. I wouldn't dare watch anything on the Civil War with her in the room. We'd never get through it!

Well crap, I have a BA & MA in history (early American/constitutional), doesn't bother me at all! I saw one of the producers interviewed once, he said at least 50% of the show was "artistic license." I say license away, at least it'll give the show a good shot at not being cancelled. ;)

I watched season 3 premier on Friday night. It was awesome. :)

My DH and I love The Tudors! I must have gotten the premiere date wrong( ugh , he's gonna kill me) , I will have to watch it on Apple TV tonight to catch up. Oh, and as far as Rome goes, I was so BUMMED when that show abruptly ended , I wish they would bring it back ,it was great and at the very least I need some closure , LOL.

I did watch the very first episode and I didn't mind that they cast Rhys-Davies as Henry since he was a young, VERY fit, athletic guy. Finally, someone was acknowledging that he was considered the most attractive monarch in Europe until his leg ulcerated and he got depressed and could no longer exercise (started getting bad around Jane Seymour, went to hell by the end of Katherine Howard). But then the fellow who played the Duke of Buckingham strolled in -- tall, broad shoulders, red haired, and I was immediately irritated -- he should have been Henry!!!

BTW, one day, someone will shoot a mini series about Henry where they actually look at a picture of Katherine of Aragon (the only wife I saw -- and there are at least 3 extant portraits of her) and note that she was fair skinned and red haired -- not dark skinned and black haired. Just because she was Spanish royalty does not mean she was typically Spanish in appearance -- she was, in fact, closely related to Henry and had many northern European ancestors.

End of Rant,

Tobermory

I'm with you (and don't even get me started on "The Other Boleyn Girl" and all that came after it). I guess I look at it as the actual story is so good and interesting and soapy as it is, why not just go with the facts?

I haven't seen the show, and am dying to. We are too cheap to pay for Showtime, I already pay $50/m for TV. But we have it free for a year now, but I don't want to pick it up in the middle. DH is in the middle of renting the Battlestar Galactica shows on Blockbuster online, when he is done with that, we will rent and watch the Tudors together. I love TV/movies set in the that time frame. And the cast - YUM!

Nan

I'm with you (and don't even get me started on "The Other Boleyn Girl" and all that came after it). I guess I look at it as the actual story is so good and interesting and soapy as it is, why not just go with the facts?

I think I mentioned, it's b/c of ratings. Not everyone is, you know, as intellectual as you. :rolleyes: After all, we can't all be as creative as John Waters or as talented as Divine. :eek:

I hardly consider myself an intellectual. I was just agreeing with another poster that I couldn't get past the creative spin on the show. It certainly isn't anything personal against those who happen to enjoy it.

And just because I mentioned liking John Waters films on this forum when films were being discussed and my avatar is of Divine (I think there are some gals out there who are in on the private joke ;)), doesn't mean that they encompass my entire being. (ahhh, if only!)

Honestly, it was nothing personal; I'm sorry that you took it that way.

I didn't take it personally, but I do find negativity directed towards something many of us clearly enjoy & are excited about a bit distasteful. Also it carries a hint of psuedo-intellectualism.

I'm pretty sure I didn't imply that it encompassed your entire being, any more than the cookie monster or the Shining encompass mine.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.