The Simple Diet by Dr. Anderson, letting go of food purism, and decision paralysis

Candiceena

Cathlete
Hi my fellow Cathletes!

Has anyone heard of this? It is a book. The premise is that you eat a minimum of 3 shakes (or soups), 2 entrees, and 5 servings of fruits & veggies per day. That is the minimum. You can also eat bars. Other requirements include tracking whether or not you followed the plan (not necessarily food logging) and also having accountability via an in-person or online group. There are "requirements" for the shakes, bars, entrees, soups, and fruits and veggies. Mainly though, any Lean Cuisine type of entree or Slimfast Shake pretty much fits the bill.

I'm thinking of giving this a shot. As someone who has ideals that belong to those of a food purist (b/c I have been reading so many paleo books lately, I feel it's brainwashed me), but lacking the time, money, energy, and desire to cook - I find that I get "stuck" - I feel like nothing will be good enough for a diet except organic, grass-fed, non-GMO (etc etc) ... yet I don't enjoy cooking very much and dont have time or money to really cook all the time. So here I am, thinking like a food purist, thinking that processed food and Lean Cuisines are the devil, yet it is unrealistic for me to eat like a food purist. And so then I think of trying other things, like the Mediteranean diet.

But, here we go again - my mind starts to wander - I start to look at other ways of eating. All have their pros and cons and all have someone claiming that they are the "holy grail" way of eating. So all these choices and all this conflicting info and I get really overwhelmed!! So I do nothing. I change nothing. I maintain my weight when I really want to (and probably should) lose some fat.

I know many people say lean cuisines, shakes, bars, etc are "bad" for you. I know it's better to eat an actual food item like a piece of chicken with salt, pepper, and olive oil than it is to eat Morning Star Chik'n Nuggets. But I need to start somewhere. I'm thinking of giving this program a try. Here is why:

1) it is economical and budget friendly
2) it is realistic for my current lifestyle (time-wise)
3) it really is simple
4) built in portion control
5) i feel it will be easier to adhere to the diet (just knowing myself)
6) it will give me a balance of convenience while also allowing me to pay attention to nutrition by focusing on lots of fruits and veggies and i can purchase Evol, Amys, and other organic-style entrees

Thoughts are greatly appreciated. :)

Hi Candace,
I have not heard of this book but it sounds like you've tried many different ways of eating in the past with no results or you cannot stick to it. If this new method of eating makes you feel that you can be more consistent and possibly reach your goals then try it. The only thing I would caution you about is to read labels on the shakes and lean cuisine boxes etc. A lot of pre-made shakes and protein bars have a high sugar content which makes fat loss much more difficult. The frozen meals tend to have quite a bit of added sodium as well. Good luck, I hope it helps you,
Jamie

It sounds like you are looking for an escape hatch from the all or nothing paleo style thought process. Hey, why not? I went off pure paleo a while ago. I have to eat meals with business clients and while I do eat fairly healthy, I have discovered that some legumes are fine for me (lentils, garbanzo beans, black beans.) and some dairy is ok too.

I think the organic prepared meals are probably ok, just watch how your body responds. The slimfast shakes are not really a great idea, they used to have HFCS and that seems counterintuitive to me. However, that doesn't mean that you can't find a good protein shake that works for you. I have a shaker bottle that I use with a locally blended protein shake powder (stevia, organic chocolate, organic whey protein.) and it tastes like chocolate milk! Delish!

I like the high vegetable content the high fruit content and the regular meals on this plan. It seems like a great way to escape any kind of eating disordered thinking.

Let us know how it goes:)

I think that the problem with eating like that is when you go off you will gain back what you lost or you stay on it forever. I cannot eat those foods. They are full of sugar, HFCS, and sodium and they are expensive. I don't want to sound harsh but I feel that they are simply not good for you.
I just finished Beachbody's 21 Day Fast Fix. It is 3 weeks of a 30min workout every day. This sounds gimmicky but it worked for me. It comes with a set of color coded containers that measures how much of each food group you can eat each day. This really helped me to get portion sizes under control. They look small but actually they hold more than you think. Guess that is where potion control comes in. I lost 7 lbs in 3 weeks doing this.
I liked the workouts. I liked the instructor. The set sold out in a matter of hours but will be back in stock at the end of March.
Check it out. You may find it helpful.
You can see clips and interviews on youtube.

You sound frustrated and tired but don't you dare touch those slimfast toxic sludge. There are better ways. If you are willing to do a little cooking one day a week, we can help you put a plan together that you can maintain. You can practice portion control by buying the right sized containers for your meals. You also need to figure out if you are a fast metabolizer. If the food goes through you very quickly and you feel hungry a lot, you need to up your fiber intake to slow everything down including the absorption of simple sugar.

I would suggest you start by making one change at a time. Start with the Lean Cuisine or something similar like Kashi. They go on sale often. The main problems with them are the low protein content and minimal vegetables (plus the salt). You can supplement the protein using rotisserie chicken that you buy from the store (very salty). Better yet, buy the organic or regular chicken from Costco and cook it like you are making chicken broth. You will have a low sodium broth for soups plus all the protein you need to supplement the lean cuisine meals for over a week. You can even freeze some of it for later. All you need is to add about 8 bites of chicken to one of these meals and you got your protein for that meal. For vegetables, you can add a handful of baby carrots and a handful of tomatoes or any other vegetables you like or a piece of fruit.

Another way to add protein is to add shrimp to these entrees. You can buy the shrimp frozen (medium) and cook it to have it ready. All you need to do is defrost it, put it in cold water with a bay leaf and a few peppercorn on very low heat and allow it to cook very slowly until it turns pink. This way it won't be rubbery. You can supplement 4 to 5 meals from 1 lb of shrimp. In the long run it is not expensive.

For soup, look at the Bertoli soups or something similar. The Bertoli soups can be a full meal if you add a little extra protein to them just like the entrees. With a mixed green salad and a piece of fruit, you can have your dinner ready in the time it takes to heat the soup. You can buy canned beans like Northern or Garbanzo and add 2 Tbs to the salad along with your favorite vegetables.

If you are willing to bake, I'll give you my high fiber muffin recipe. I make them once a week and I have them when I need them. If you list the vegetable you like to eat, we can come up with recipes that you try later.

Just start slow. If you decide you are happy with eating this way, you can slowly substitute your own cooked meals to the frozen ones to eliminate the salt. It won't cost you any more. You just need to learn few recipes. You don't have to like cooking.

You sound frustrated and tired but don't you dare touch those slimfast toxic sludge. There are better ways. If you are willing to do a little cooking one day a week, we can help you put a plan together that you can maintain. You can practice portion control by buying the right sized containers for your meals. You also need to figure out if you are a fast metabolizer. If the food goes through you very quickly and you feel hungry a lot, you need to up your fiber intake to slow everything down including the absorption of simple sugar.

If you are willing to bake, I'll give you my high fiber muffin recipe. I make them once a week and I have them when I need them. If you list the vegetable you like to eat, we can come up with recipes that you try later.

Just start slow. If you decide you are happy with eating this way, you can slowly substitute your own cooked meals to the frozen ones to eliminate the salt. It won't cost you any more. You just need to learn few recipes. You don't have to like cooking.

Hello To candeecena and Soapmaker,

I can post from experience about those so called "slimming ready meal" they truly are LOADED with sugar. As soon as you see labels such as low fat, slimming, low carbs check the sugar content.:mad::mad: We know this could possibly land in our beloved thighs:eek::eek:. Eventually you could end up having to work more to shift it. Don't make it harder for yourself...Embrace a new lifestyle with no turning back.

Make you own cuisine in bulk and portion it. In a long run it cost less than you think.

To Soapmaker...I enjoyed reading your post. I would like to have recipe if you do not mind. You have made me add shrimp to my shopping list. I have not had any in more than six months:):)

Beans, are very good for you. You can start stocking canned ones. I would not recommend the ones which contains tomatoes sauces. SUGAR:eek::eek: BAKED BEANS no no no

I do eat beans at least twice per week with portion of fish or lean meat. Kidney beans, black turtle beans, soy beans....you name it there is a vast choice. I am on a process of cutting out completely canned beans.

Last time I soaked about 500 gr of black turtle beans for two days and boiled it. I like it fully cooked with it's own natural sauce. It is tasty and it save me from having to check the sugar content from cans. Yes it takes an hour to cook it the way I want. Cooking in bulk save time.

Beans do not have to be fully cooked to pre-mashed state. There is also a way of cooking them to eat as salad. Butter beans are also good for salads.

How about cheese as a source of protein: Greek feta cheese and Mozarella can be purchased from cosco. You can portion it. This could save time cooking. You can have that with raw spinach leaves and your own made vinaigrette/dressing.

Soapmaker, your post was spot on;):):)

All the very best candeecena,

Last edited:
To the OP,

I say if it works for you, go for it! It doesn't matter what I or anyone else here thinks. Personally, you're going to find food purists and those that judge you and/or what you eat everywhere, especially on fitness forums. I say try it. If it doesn't work, it doesn't. But you never know. I think you sound frustrated and perhaps are trying to convince yourself more by talking it out. Having had Eating Disorders for over 17 yrs, I know what it is to struggle with perfection, food, and judgement both internal and external. No one here has your thighs, your body, your thoughts, your feelings, your uniqueness. Do what makes YOU happy and forget the rest! Life is too short to worry about cellulite or "too much this or that". You'll know it;s right for YOU when you find yourself calm and happy, no longer stressing about food rules!

Good luck and hugs to you!

:D

Beans, are very good for you. You can start stocking canned ones. I would not recommend the ones which contains tomatoes sauces. SUGAR:eek::eek: BAKED BEANS no no no

I do eat beans at least twice per week with portion of fish or lean meat. Kidney beans, black turtle beans, soy beans....you name it there is a vast choice. I am on a process of cutting out completely canned beans.

Last time I soaked about 500 gr of black turtle beans for two days and boiled it. I like it fully cooked with it's own natural sauce. It is tasty and it save me from having to check the sugar content from cans. Yes it takes an hour to cook it the way I want. Cooking in bulk save time.

Beans do not have to be fully cooked to pre-mashed state. There is also a way of cooking them to eat as salad. Butter beans are also good for salads.

Nathalie, do you have a crock pot/slow cooker? You can cook your beans in the slow cooker overnight. Simple and no fuss. They may be used any way you wish once cooked this way. They can even be frozen for later use. :)

Nathalie, do you have a crock pot/slow cooker? You can cook your beans in the slow cooker overnight. Simple and no fuss. They may be used any way you wish once cooked this way. They can even be frozen for later use. :)

Hello,

I tried a slow cooker in the past and could not get many dishes from it. There is not much energy saving leaving the pot over the night. I am under the impression I could get more from a pressure cooker than a slow cooker.:):)

Last edited:
Nathalie, as I understand it, a pressure cooker will cook the beans speedy quick. I don't own a pressure cooker, but I have used the crock pot method with great success. :)

Thanks Carol,

I will look into crock pot again.
I used a slow cooker before but it was not a very good one.

Still doing homework right now. I have not made a decision yet. There is a lot to get from a pressure cooker:)

Kind Regards,

Hi ladies,

Thank you for chiming in with suggestions and help. I really appreciate it.

A few of you mentioned it sounds like I am frustrated - I AM! LOL :) The internet is great but I know info overload is a real thing and sometimes I struggle with it.

I will definitely stay away from the Slimfast shakes. There are some great protein shakes from Svelte that are organic, low carb, soy-based that I think I might use for my shake.

I will also try some of the Beritoli soups :)

And the suggestion to add protein to the Lean Cuisines is actually great. I can bake chicken thighs and I really like them so I think that might be something I do.

I know the Lean Cuisines aren't the best but I generally do try to go for the ones that are more protein/veggie based rather than the ones that are just like "Macaroni and Cheese" or "Pepperoni Pizza". I dont know how much it actually helps but I feel better if there are at least some veggies in them.

I'm going through a big change/transition period in my life right now. Ultimately I would like to get on a schedule of cooking simple dinners (this is for the work-week, mind you) and then having leftovers for the next days lunch & dinner. I just need something for now to help me get off of the refined-carbs & sugar kick I'm on. I've been so stressed at work and at home (I'm getting promoted AND moving out of my boyfriend's house into my own apartment right now) and have just been eating like CRAP. But like I mentioned, I get so wrapped up "perfection" that I just end up not making any changes.

Soapmaker, you asked about me being a fast metabolizer. I don't think I am. If I eat a meal that is a quality meal, I can be full for a while, say 4-5 hrs. Example, if I eat lunch at 1:30 or 2 PM and then get home from work around 6 to 6:30, I'll just start to notice a slight bit of hunger right as I'm getting home. With this amt of hunger I can "stand" to wait long enough to prepare something to eat for dinner. If I go much longer though (say I go to the store before going home) I get really hungry and eat bad food ... ie: I'll go grocery shopping but then I'm starving in the checkout line so I grab a nutella snack pack or a candy bar or some thing like that.

Note, that my hunger only stays at bay if I have an actual meal. I'm talking like a pre-made salad of about 250 cals and a can of soup w/ about 160 total cals plus a 120-cal greek yogurt. That type of food gets me full and I don't find myself hungry or having the desire for the 3 PM cookie.

One thing I'd like to add is that, if I eat a high-carb low protein meal (say cheese lasagna with garlic bread) then I do get hungry shortly afterward. Like within a couple hrs. But I think that is normal?

The soup/salad/yogurt combo I actually feel satiated and dont find myself thinking about food until 4-5 hrs later when I'm actually hungry.

Candice,

Please don't feel like you have to justify what your choices are and why. If it's best for you, whatever choice that might be, then that's all that matters. What you consume and the workouts you choose to do, if any, are no one's concern but your's. If you feel that by eating a certain way or certain types of foods is the way to go, then that's the right way. "No rules" is something I learned in recovery. And to be honest, again in recovery, we learned there is no "right, wrong, good, or bad" foods, only levels of nutrition. Some provide more, some less. Some will bloat your stomach and not the next person, and so on. It's ok to be frustrated! But if you can, try to ease up some of the pressure, for your sake.

If you like what your doing, then that's all that matters. If by example you find you get hungry after eating a carb-loaded meal, then you know that personally, you probably wouldn't want to survive on those meal alone. Some people do well with them, other's crash (as in blood sugar spikes and crashes). I know for me every time I turned around someone was going on about how oatmeal, steel cut, would keep you full for hours. I can eat it, fresh/organic/cooked myself with fruit and an egg. I'm hungry 2.5 hours later, ALWAYS! That's me. What works for one, doesn't another. What one deems "unhealthy" is perfectly acceptable to another. You'll find all sorts of opinions here about nutrition, just like fitness. You can find "facts", opinions, blogs, articles, and experts to backup any opinion expressed, to refute any opinion, as well as everything in between.

All I will add at this point is don't eat something that doesn't taste good to you (just like you wouldn't want to do a workout that doesn't feel good). The reason being, you'll tend to ditch it quickly. No amount of "proper" nutrition is worth deprivation, nor is it worth while to constantly get on a roller coaster of diets. If you like the shakes you consume, do it! If you hate a certain meal, protein, carb, whatever- skip it! There are so many things that you can sub in to get the nutrition you need and/or want without consuming things that make you cringe... even just a little :D I'm going through this with my toddler, although on a different scale. She doesn't like dairy too often and needs a certain amount of calcium. She had all of her teeth about 1 year ahead of schedule along with growth spurts, she really needs her calcium! Veggies only provide so much and I'm a proponent personally for us, in our house (no judgement or rule passing to anyone) of local and organic when at all possible. Living in the middle of absolutely no where, it can be hard. So I've some ways to get her what she needs but it still being a form of nutrition that I support for her little body (ie- no supplementation). Experiment!!!!

You'll get the hang of what is best for you and your situation. Low carb, high carb, low fat, high fat, low protein, high protein, Organic/non, pre-packaged/scratch cooked, etc.... Be Happy! It's Spring time, although it doesn't feel like it! It's a great time to let go of all unnecessary stress!!!

thank you, mrsprincess. :) your kind and encouraging words mean a lot.

Hi, why you try to once a week cook a lot of chicken breast like 4 oz.each put in the oven, and cook vegatables like broccoli,coliflower,spinach, cabbage and brown rice and separate on small portion, rice is 1/2 cup cook. Eat a lot of vegetables the way you are no with hungry all the time.Good luck

There is no ONE Holy grail diet, only the one that works for you.
I can't eat white sugar or gluten for health reasons. Sure I love sugar and and a wheat bagel, but how I feel means more to me than the few seconds the food passes through my lips.

Just know, that what works for you now, may not work for you when you reach 40, 50, 60. Believe me, food effects everything in your body, and it's not all about how much you weigh or how you look in a bathing suit. As we age, the quality of food becomes more and more important.

You may want to look into If It Fits Your Macros. It basically has you eat the essential daily nutrients and fiber, leaving room for your favorite treat...slim fast, pop tarts, ice cream.

IIFYM Flexible Dieting | Does It Fit Your Macros?

IIFYM

fit44 - you're right. thank you for bringing that up. there really isn't a holy grail way of eating. i will definitely check out the link. thanks so much :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.