The Pericone Promise?

Winter

Cathlete
Hi

Did anyone see Dr. Pericone on Oprah. He has a few books out about eating the right foods and you will look 10 years yonger.

Has anyone read his books and took his advice? If I remember right he said to drink green tea for antioxidants and that if you give up coffee you will lose 10 lbs just by doing that. It is the coffee that messes with you blood sugar not the caffine. Anyone heard of this one?

Thanks,
Winter

A few women in my office tried it for a few months but I didn't notice much difference. The diet was a bit too restrictive for me as I recall. I have no patience for diets on which carrots are forbidden. Come on. They're filled with vitamin A and fiber and have no calories.

I think the diet slows down the aging process by delaying cell inflammation, if I've got that right. Anyway, it didn't say anything about FEELING better, which is all I really care about at my age. It's not enough to just look better anymore, I want to feel better, have more energy and get more done so I can be more successful!! That's what Cathe is all about.

Color me jaded. But the diet influenced me in subtle ways. For example, I probably eat more berries today than I ever did before, and will continue to do so. And I have given up simple carbs. I don't doubt the Dr.'s credibility, just doubt whether the strict version of the diet is worth it.

That's my 2 cents.

-Nancy

Dr.Pericone's ideas are just that..ideas and opinions only. None of his material or ideas have been published in peer reviewed journals. He has conducted no experiments (that are published) to support his ideas. As far as coffee goes it has been known for a long time that caffeine, not coffee, can lower blood sugar levels by increasing insulin. All caffeine will do this, not just coffee. Anyone can write a book and have it published , it is called freedom of the press. There is also something called buyer beware. I'd like to know where is peer reviewed publications are.....

Cathy, I agree. Let's see published studies.

I was going to try his green tea idea but I haven't done it yet because I love my coffee too much. I do hate what coffee does to your teeth though!

Eat right, exercise, and age gracefully.

Lori

I've never drunk coffee (unless you count the pale, heavily sugared, 1/2 milk version my dad would let me have at the end of meals with cookies when I was a kid!) and LOVE green, white, red and black teas. There are many benefits to drinking green tea, and white tea has even more antioxidants than green.

I have read Dr Perricone's book, "The Acne Prescription", I got it from the library and I found it to be extremely effective and it made a lot of sense. He backs his findings up with lots and lots of science, it is not quackery. I have struggled with acne all of my life, I am 37, it was time to do something, and someone recommended his books. IT WORKS IT WORKS IT WORKS. It worked by simply following the diet recommendations...I don't buy any specific topical products (which is even more amazing...how many times have we been told diet has no impact on acne! Give me a break. that is so obviously false... and you have the "all-knowing" "published" "medical journal" "JAMA" community to thank for it. THANKS FOR 37 YEARS OF MISERY, PEOPLE)

Specifically it worked by getting rid of my acne. I can't speak to the anti-aging thing....however, I will say it would have to be less dramatic results over time...I mean, what do you expect when you try something for a week, or a month....you age over years and years and we are talking lifestyle changes here. And undoing years of processed food trans fatty acid work.

Cutting out sugar, coffee and most processed foods has done wonders for my skin, as has adding in green tea, salmon, flax seed, berries, and brazil nuts. I highly recommend it. If the anti-aging book works as well as the acne book, I would think it would be worth the health, glow, and energy you'd get from it.

Didn't mean to rant but I have strong feelings about this. I don't follow his eating plan in a strict sense, but if I did I suspect my results would be even more dramatic. And they were pretty dramatic already. I know this wasn't the original focus of the post (acne) but I had to come to Dr. Perricone's defense here.

Who do you think fund studies, etc that get published in those journals?????? Thin air? NO! DRUG COMPANIES FUND THEM! Doing studies are expensive! And if you can dramatically change your skin with simply what you are eating and you don't need their accutane, with its birth defects, or the botox injections that you get dependent on, they are going to be out a lot of money. Wake up and smell the green tea! :)

Ok, calmer now.
:)

Jen

I am happy with your results but his books are just opinions. Drug companies are not the primary sponsor or writer of articles in peer reviewed journals. Most studies are funded by grants of some sort such as NIH grants or state grants. Who funds what has nothing to do with whether something gets published in a scientific peer reviewed. Drug companies do publish research that is funded using money from their own resources as well as grant money. The articles from these companies have to go through the same rigorous review as articles submitted from other reserachers and so its not fair to implicate that a drug company can publish anything just to push a product. Such publications have nothing to do with product approval anyway. There are scientific journals that do not have a peer review process and these are ones where you can sometimes find crap that gets in for reasons other than science such as political reasons etc.

Great news Jen! Thanks for sharing with us. I'll keep it in mind to recommend to others with acne problems.
-Nancy

I bought one of of Perricone's books a while ago and ... ugh ... who can eat THAT MUCH salmon???? I tried his plan for a couple days and had to give it up. Bleck. I like salmon OK, but geesh -- what happened to moderation and variety?

IMO, some of his ideas have merit. But I've gotten results similar to those that he claims from simply cutting out junk foods and eating lots more veggies (eating a modified Zone-ish diet -- probably more like 50 percent carbs/20 percent protein/20 percent fat than 40/30/30). My skin was clearer and looked younger, I felt lighter, and had more energy. It was a noticeable difference.

Also, FWIW, I quit coffee a while ago (a sad and amazingly difficult thing to do!) and didn't lose any weight as a result. Not an ounce. But I do feel a bit better -- calmer and more balanced.

I have no real proof of this, but the word on the street is that the good Dr., while selling books and skin care lines, has actually had 'work' done in order to maintain a youthful appearance.

I figure any time someone's trying to make money in this regard, its a buyer beware situation.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.