The New Calorie Chart is in!!! Please check this out

">Starving the body does not produce lasting weight loss."

Well, I can definitely attest to the truth of THAT! I had been considering raising my calories to 1800, but now I'm wondering if that should just be an intermediate step.

Thanks for the info!

Hi, honestly when i increased my calories i did it slowly and over a period of time. I was eating 1,800 per day so i increased it this way

day 1 1,800
day 2 2,000
day 3 1,900
day 4 2,100
day 5 1,800
day 6 2,200
day 7 1,900

i did it this as to keep my body guessing and to not put on any weight (in case it happened). Slowly i kept increasing and it went well. Now i eat 3,500 per day and feel great. I have energy and feel good and have 8% bodyfat.

Wayne.

How long did it take you to go from 1800 calories per day to 3500 calories per day. It seemed every other day you added another 100 calories.

When I tried the Body Rx program, and was required to eat 1.5 grams of protein per pound (weight 154, height 5'5") I gained another 5 pounds! When I looked back and tried to estimate the number of calories I was eating, it was approximately 2500 calories per day. This lead me to believe that 2500 cal per day was too much for me.

Of course, now that I have reduced my calories back to 1600 per day during the week, I HAVEN'T LOST A POUND.

Lisa

Lisa, did you do BodyRx by the book and did you follow the program through the four cycles?

This is encouraging news to see that finally the fact that calorie deprivation is not the way to optimal health is coming to light. As someone stated above, eating one's calories in brownies and ice cream is not the same as eating clean calories and believe me, the body knows the difference.

I'm encouraged!

I only made it through cycles 1 and 2 and ending up gaining 8 pounds - and believe me it was mostly fat - I am feeling right now as I type this because my pants are so tight on my wider, fatter, waistline. I tried to start cycle 3, but I just couldn't increase my food intake even more. I got scared and quit. I went back to believing that if you take too many calories in, regardless of how clean they are, you will gain weight.

However, I am in the process of getting my thyroid checked, in which the initial test came back showing signs of hypothyroidism. If this is the case, it may be the reason I am finding it impossible to lose any weight at all, and why I have gained over 10 pounds in the last 1 1/2 years.

I was interested to find out how one goes about "repairing" a decreased metabolism, just in case my thyroid is not the source of my problems.

Lisa

I'm sorry about your thyroid difficulty Lisa, that would definitely decrease your chances of success w/any type of fat loss.

You may want to check out Diane Schwarzbein, MD, and her book "The Schwarzbein Principle," and "The Schwarzbein Principle II, The Transition." I just started reading the 2d book and being and Endocrinologist, this is her specialty, repairing damaged metabolism, including thyroid malfunction.

The article above states:
"For example, a 30-year-old woman who is 5 feet 5 inches tall and weighs 111 to 150 pounds should consume between 1,800 and 2,000 calories daily if she lives a sedentary lifestyle. However, if she is a very active person, her recommended total caloric intake increases to 2,500 to 2,800 calories per day. If her lifestyle fits the moderately active category as defined in the report, which is the minimum level of activity to decrease risk of chronic disease, she should eat between 2,200 and 2,500 calories daily."

So I don't think you're correct in stating "their definition of VERY ACTIVE is a brisk low intensity walk!" -- that's their definition of moderately active.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.