The NEVERending shoulder saga

princessbear

Cathlete
Hi everyone. Looking for input here. I've been lurking for months since my last shoulder surgery... too filled with self-pity to really participate in the forums like I started to when I first joined. Here's the scoop in a nutshell...Had A/C joint surgery 11/6/09 where they found the rotator cuff was torn. R/C was repaired (small tear - needing one anchor) and the pain since then is WORSE than before surgery. Went back to doc, had contrast dye MRI which shows that only 20% of the tendon reattached. So this means another surgery ... UGH. Am going to see another doc next week for 2nd opinion and if he agrees with first guy, I will have him do the surgery since he is one of the top guys in the field in my area. Even my doc recommended I go with the 2nd guy (my doc is probably just SICK and tired of me).

Okay, so here's the thing - my chiropractor claims that, with time, regular adjustments will "heal" the torn tendon and it will reattach to the bone. I'm having difficulty reconciling myself to this. And the pain is so bad, I'm not sure I could stand months or YEARS of waiting for this to happen. Has anyone had any experience with non-surgical methods of repairing a torn rotator cuff? I'm just beside myself here. I've not been able to do a "real" workout in over a year, my STS dvds are gathering dust.... I'm so distraught and tired of the pain and the lack of weight training has made me soft and mushy...

Any and all input would be appreciated.

TIA!

Mary

Mary - I'm sooo sorry! I've shared my story on here recently - I had surgery the end of March. They removed bone to relieve the pain in my AC joint and ended up doing sutures/anchors because my shoulder had "dropped". It was super loose and bone-on-bone. I've been in physical therapy since and we're finally getting somewhere. Just started STS rotation again w/ a lot of modifications ... I too have become quite mushy! I really don't agree w/ your chiropractor. Mine never suggested he could improve the problems I was having. Shoulder surgery is tricky, from what I read. I had my surgery done by the top shoulder orthop. surgeon in my area. I really think a great physical therapist post-surgery makes a huge difference as well.

Good luck! Keep us informed!

Jen

Hi Mary! I can related to your frustration! I am recovering from a partial torn rotator cuff tear for the past 9 months. I elected to go to a chiropractor who uses the activator method along with electrical stim and ultrasound therapy as well as rehab 3x/week on the pilates reformer. Progress has been slow I have to admit, but I AM healing. My strength is finally starting to come back and I have been recently begun lifting with Cathe again!
I still experiece pain, but that also is improving. I did have one cortisone injection which helped and the surgeon said that is when you can make strength gains because it takes the inflammation down. I will be doing a second injection in a month to help with pain and inflammation. I ice regularly after workouts as well.
As a nurse, I have come to believe surgery is a last option. If your tear isn't a total complete tear, then you may very well be a good candidate for alternative medicine. But it takes a commitment on your part and going to the chiro is a 3x/wk commitment and then eventually the visits will decrease as you progress. Surgery is always an option later if the pain is still persistent. The surgeon said he would operate a year after the injury if the pain was not tolerable for me.
You need to turn inward and go with your gut. You need to listen to yourself and let that be your guidance for what you should do. I just always knew from the beginning I didn't want surgery and continue to feel that way even though at times I wish I was already better! Shoulders take a long time to heal - like up to a year - with OR without surgery!
I wish you the best with a full recovery!
Gina

Awww Mary, I am so sorry. How frustrating for you. Thinking of you and sending up extra prayers that you get to the bottom of it very soon. Wish I could help to speed your healing along! BIG HUGS!

Thanks, ladies, for your input (and encouragement). I am currently seeing the chiro for other issues - 3x a week. Have been going to him for about 8 weeks now.

Gina - this is a complete tear of the supraspinatus tendon - Not only did it not completely reattach after the last surgery, the 80% that didn't attach is now ... and I can't remember the term the doc used, but basically it is curling up ... he thinks that's why there is more pain.

I saw the chiro today, and I see him again tomorrow, and I will have a list of questions. But basically, he has said that if I don't believe it will work, if I'm not mindful of the healing process, then of course it won't work. I just want to be PAINFREE ... it's been over 2 years, and 2 surgeries (the first one not for rotator cuff) and I want my life back. I miss my Cathe workouts, and my mindset has been "Well, if I can't do EVERY body part, I won't do ANY body part"... very self-defeating. There are all sorts of things I can do that don't involve shoulder... biceps, some triceps, back and my favorite...LEGS!!! So I need to stop focusing on what I CAN'T do, and start focusing on what I CAN and quit this self-defeating thinking! When I am back "on track" I will be able to make a sound, rational decision. Exercise has been such an important part of my life - part of what keeps me centered (only part, but an important part)... so once I am centered, I can start to live in the solution, rather than the problem.

Thanks again... I'll keep you all posted as to my decision ... and I think tomorrow I will tackle B&G or L&G.... and kick some butt!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.