The dreaded groin injury

Cathe, or anyone else this has possibly happened to:

I'm totally devastated at the moment. For the past month I've been plagued with a problem on my right side (not realizing it was the groin muscle) and it really bothered me when ever I did anything that involved abducting. Well, after seeing the sports therapist on base, he told me it was a groin muscles and gave me Motrin, told me to stop running and to stop doing any lunges or abducting for possibly up to six months! I was devastated! I don't want to lose any of the muscle definition I've gained this past year in my buttocks, thighs and hamstrings :(

My question is, are there excersices I could do that won't aggravate my groin muscle, yet will still help me maintain muscle definition? I was thinking possibly the floor segment from the Gym Style legs? I know pretty much that Low Max (my favorite exercise video of all time) is out of the question but how about the low impact aerobics?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Like I said, this is devastating to me :(

I have the same problem. I am a runner and have been injured since December. I finally went to my doctor yesterday and she thinks it might be a stress fracture in my hip, which causes problems in the groin area. Did your doctor give you any advice of take an x-ray? I meet with my doctor next week to see what the x-ray showed. I'll keep you posted with any news I get and treatment. Also, on the runner's world web site under "mind and body" they have info. on groin/inner thigh pain. Good luck!

My doctor suggested for me was to sit in a tub of hot water (hot tub worked great for this) for 30 minutes and to take ibuprofen. If it didn't help and I was still having problems after 5-7 days then to call back. This did help me but I don't think I pulled mine really bad. But it was sore and so for those days I did walking and tried to do strength moves (as long as I didn't feel any pulling or pain). I did also sit out two weeks from softball.

Hope you feel better soon -

Rhonda

I'm sorry this happened to you - I had the same thing in college when I used to run about 6 days a week, every a.m. The first time it happened I tried to ignore it, and when I finally stopped I waited 10 days. When I went back to running it came back and then I rested a longer period, again. I believe the reason it took so long to go away was b/c I was unwilling to stop running completely for a longer period of time. Just from my own personal experience, I would say that you should go to a dr. and get a referral to a physical therapist, hopefully w/ a specialty in sports related injuries. Then try alternative cardio like rowing or swimming or whatever you are advised. Good luck and I hope you recover quickly! /karen

Hi,

Yes, I had xrays taken yesterday and she looked it over. She said my hip and joint were in excellent condition, but now she may think it's the sac in the joint that may be causing the problem. The motrin was helping some, but she gave me a steroid shot right in the hip and said that I could continue my normal activities (I ran a 5k today..yeah!) and last night I did Low-Max! I just didn't do high adductions...lol.

I have to start physical therapy next week for stretching and hip strengthening exercises. She wants to keep an eye on me for the next few months to make sure that we have the right diagnosis.

I still haven't read all the replies (I've been so busy)....but I thank everyone for taking the time to respond....I truly, truly appreciate it :)

Laura

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.