The closet story update

pjlippert

Cathlete
So, some of you may recall that not too long ago I "went Dr. Phil" on my son and shoved most of his toys into his closet and locked it. I got tired of hearing, "I'm bored, I don't have anything to play with". And him refusing to clean up his room.

Well, I figured since we are snowed in again today, we might as well tackle his room & the closet. I have to give major thanks to those of you who gave me some great advice as the best way to get and ADHD kiddo to help clean.
So, instead of throwing out ten different things for him to do, I gave him one task at a time and it worked beautifully!!! :D

For example, I had him just sort all of the big toys first, then put all the books in a pile, stuffed animals on the bed and he was able to stay on task (most of the time), etc.. It was MUCH less overwhelming for both of us. :D

His room looks amazing and he has such a sense of pride over helping to get it back into place! We even created a special corner for his costumes.

So, thank you all again VERY much again for your sage wisdom!! I'll take some photos and post them (once I find my camera! :eek:)

Now, my dreaded closet is next! Ugh!

Pam & her very proud DS Randy!

p.s. Wolfy the Bichon "helped" by barking at the vacuum!! :rolleyes:

Thanks, gals! It's soo cute- he keeps going up there to play in his room AND he's keeping it very tidy! (so far!!).

Pam

Hi Pam (and Randy!)

Great job on the room--it looks fantastic!! I'm so glad the various tips were helpful to both of you. Who needs more stress?? :D

Isn't it wonderful when kids realize they CAN do something they thought was impossible? They just have to find out what approach works best for them. Great life lesson! :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.