The 200+ Club.....Really?

These are the graphs from my HRM for the following dates & calories burned

June 11 - 409
June 21 - 163
June 23 - 163
June 28 - 145

I think MadnNatsmom was closer to the mark with burning 100 calories whether walking or running, as I'm not really running that much faster than I walk. It does get my heart rate up as you can see.

Attachments

• June 11 2011.jpg
    June 11 2011.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 3
  • June 21 2011.jpg
    June 21 2011.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 3
  • June 23 2011.jpg
    June 23 2011.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 2
  • June 28 2011.jpg
    June 28 2011.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
I can tell you this if I were to be over weight & take up running to lose weight and started to get less & less calorie burn (like I did), I would assume that I wouldn't be losing as much weight after a while, even though I would be increasing my fitness, strengthening my bones, etc.

Eating the proper food & not too much is an important part of that, maybe the most important part.

112toGuru, did you mention what model Garmin you have? Not all of them use heart rate to calculate calories while you're running. They use speed/ distance and your fitness settings. (For example, I think that's the only difference between the 405 and the 405CX) Pretty sure the other 05's - 205 305 etc. don't use HR to calculate calories when they have GPS data. That could be the reason there's such a discrepancy between running and other exercise where your heart rate is similar.

112toGuru, did you mention what model Garmin you have? Not all of them use heart rate to calculate calories while you're running. They use speed/ distance and your fitness settings. (For example, I think that's the only difference between the 405 and the 405CX) Pretty sure the other 05's - 205 305 etc. don't use HR to calculate calories when they have GPS data. That could be the reason there's such a discrepancy between running and other exercise where your heart rate is similar.

That very well may be the case, odd that the calories would be calculated that way, as the speed & distance is just an additional measurement (no GPS on my model FR60), but then again there's probably a reason for it, I'll have to look into it with Garmin.

Thanks so much.

* Briefly looked into it & according to their forums, it is the firmware & that when paired with the footpod the calories are calculated based on speed & distance not the HR, at least that's what I've read. I can get the caloric data if I don't use the footpod, or so it seems.

Another mystery, solved!

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.