Terrible family news....

Thanks everyone. Unfortunately, my dad lives 10 hours away but is near fine doctors in the DC area. He and my step mother are very intelligent and detail oriented. I have no fear that they will go in unaware or remain uninformed. He is not only his best self advocate, but my step mother will be terrific as well.

I wish I lived closer. We are not an emotionally charged, huggy/lovey family - but I know how much he loves me - his emotions speak more thru his actions vs. words. That's just always the way he's been. I guess I just don't know what to say. He's so private, so I don't want to be overdramatic and gushing emotions, but I also don't want it to be like the cancer is a "white elephant in the room" and not even broach the subject- you know what I mean?

Thanks for all your experience and insight - it means more than you know.

I'm so sorry to hear that. Be sure to get in contact with the American Cancer Society, they are very helpful. My cousin Amelia works over there in the call center and we had a lot of help from them when she was in chemo over 12 years ago now. I will keep him in my prayers.

I just wanted to say that I too am sorry that you and your family have to go through this. You'll be in my thoughts and prayers.
-Carrie

My most heartfelt prayers to you. I felt the same way when my Dad was diagnosed.

Consider yourself hugged and prayed for!

Pam

I am so sorry to hear about your dad. My mom died from lung cancer almost 7 years ago and I still miss her. Good luck to you and your dad.

I'm very sorry to hear about your father's illness. I know how sad you are as my mother had lung cancer also. Hopefully you are close enough where you can be there for him. I wasn't. My mother always told me what an angel my father was during her treatment. He would roll her hair and do all those really nice and loving things for her. She said he was just an angel. I'm so glad she had him since all of us kids were so far away most of the time. If you can't be there then call and email. My mom just loved getting daily emails.

I'll pray for you and your Dad.

I'm so sorry. I know EXACTLY what you are going through. My mom, who is 66 was recently diagnosed and has just gone through all the tests to find out what stage and if it has spread. It, like your dad's is small cell. She is waiting for an appt with her cardiologist to hopefully get approval to have the surgery. She has major heart problems. She has said she won't have chemo so hopefully the cardiologist will approve the surgery. My mom and her SO live in SC and I live in GA so I can not be there with her to go to her appts. I wish I could be since they don't seem to have the answers to the questions that I ask. I guess they are the don't question the Dr. type. I am not.

I will pray for your dad. Please keep us updated.

Just got a call from my father - he's 73 and just found out he has lung cancer. Will know more when it gets staged next week. I know the outlook is not good, but I'm trying to digest this and remain positive. All I know is I feel like throwing up.

Just needed to vent, I think I'm cried out for today.

I am so sorry to hear this horrible news.

My thoughts are with you and your family.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.