Teen acne

lulu68

Cathlete
Hello,

Do any of your teen boys suffer from mild to moderate skin acne? If so what have you found that helps them control there acne, have any of them tried Pro active? Let me know what has work for your teens. Thanks!

Rainbow Lite Teen Vitamins

My son has been seeing a dermatologist for 1 1/2 years and been on different pills and topical treatments. They work for a while but his skin wouldn't be totally clear. Then the acne would continue to flare up after getting used to different pills.

In the beginning of July I found on a vitamin website, Rainbow Lite Teen vitamins with "potent skin clearing action". I was hopeful about these and looked into the reviews. Surprisingly, the reviews were pretty good for the skin clearing, so I ordered a bottle. I was hopeful that they would work, but doubtful. My son had some pretty noticeable blackheads on his face and within 2 weeks they were completely gone. It was as if these vitamins pushed all of the impurities in his skin to the surface, because the blackheads started coming to the surface (not to be gross) and when he washed his face, they just came off. Within 1 month his face was completely clear and it was the healthiest it has looked in 1 1/2 years.

I'm hoping when he goes back to the dermatologist he can begin to go off of the pills he takes, these vitamins have done more for him than anything he puts on his face or pills he takes for the acne.

Please read the reviews on these vitamins should you decide to try them, as there were a few reviews from people who they did not work for. There are also some unfavorable reviews regarding the smell and the size, neither one of these bother my son.

Good luck, hope this helps! :)

Acne.org - Acne Treatment and Community No boys in my house but someone from cathenation posted this once and I've used it. My dd follows the regimen and it helps a lot but she did do a round of oral antibiotics too. I purchase the Daniel Kern products, and buy the AHA for myself, too. Good luck, breaks your heart to see kids deal with it, it really beats down self esteem.

I use Paula's Choice products and LOVE THEM!!!! I do not have an acne problem, but I do I use her BHA products to keep my pores clear. My pores have never looked this good! She has a line for acne...might be worth checking into:
CLEAR Blemish Control: Paula's Choice Skincare & Cosmetics She sells 2 week trial kits for $13.00.
I hope you find a solution for your sons...it is so important for their self esteem!

My 14 year old starting having breakouts when puberty began. We tried the acne washes and OTC meds but they didn't really help. After a few months of trying those I took him to the dermatologist. She prescribed a cream called Epiduo & recommended he wash his face w/ Cetaphil. His breakouts are much better controlled now but he still gets occasional pimples. Because of this, his dermatologist prescribed a tetracycline antibiotic after using the Epiduo for awhile. After doing some research on it & asking his pediatrician his thoughts, I decided not to give it to him. I didn't think his breakouts were bad enough to risk the side effects that come with those antibiotics. However, I've known of several kids who have used them and done fine and I wouldn't hesitate to let my DS take them if his acne was severe. Also, I've noticed that when he's stressed (like with school/tests, etc) he gets more breakouts than he did over the summer when things in his life were more relaxed. As far as Proactive, we never tried that. I read some reviews when he started getting breakouts and most of them weren't good. Hope you and your DS find what works for him. This is definitely not a fun stage :(

My son has been seeing a dermatologist for 1 1/2 years and been on different pills and topical treatments. They work for a while but his skin wouldn't be totally clear. Then the acne would continue to flare up after getting used to different pills.

In the beginning of July I found on a vitamin website, Rainbow Lite Teen vitamins with "potent skin clearing action". I was hopeful about these and looked into the reviews. Surprisingly, the reviews were pretty good for the skin clearing, so I ordered a bottle. I was hopeful that they would work, but doubtful. My son had some pretty noticeable blackheads on his face and within 2 weeks they were completely gone. It was as if these vitamins pushed all of the impurities in his skin to the surface, because the blackheads started coming to the surface (not to be gross) and when he washed his face, they just came off. Within 1 month his face was completely clear and it was the healthiest it has looked in 1 1/2 years.

I'm hoping when he goes back to the dermatologist he can begin to go off of the pills he takes, these vitamins have done more for him than anything he puts on his face or pills he takes for the acne.

Please read the reviews on these vitamins should you decide to try them, as there were a few reviews from people who they did not work for. There are also some unfavorable reviews regarding the smell and the size, neither one of these bother my son.

I may look into these!

My 14 year old starting having breakouts when puberty began. We tried the acne washes and OTC meds but they didn't really help. After a few months of trying those I took him to the dermatologist. She prescribed a cream called Epiduo & recommended he wash his face w/ Cetaphil. His breakouts are much better controlled now but he still gets occasional pimples. Because of this, his dermatologist prescribed a tetracycline antibiotic after using the Epiduo for awhile. After doing some research on it & asking his pediatrician his thoughts, I decided not to give it to him. I didn't think his breakouts were bad enough to risk the side effects that come with those antibiotics. However, I've known of several kids who have used them and done fine and I wouldn't hesitate to let my DS take them if his acne was severe. Also, I've noticed that when he's stressed (like with school/tests, etc) he gets more breakouts than he did over the summer when things in his life were more relaxed. As far as Proactive, we never tried that. I read some reviews when he started getting breakouts and most of them weren't good. Hope you and your DS find what works for him. This is definitely not a fun stage :(

Exactly my thoughts on prescription medication. Every year when we take him to his school sports physical doctors always give him a prescription for his acne. His acne is not that severe enough for me to risk the side affects. You are correct, he has been stress lately with school, sports, making time for girlfriend and a part time job. I will talk to him about the vitimins and see what he thinks. Thanks so much!

Hi, Does your son take 3 a day? Please keep us posted on his dermatologist visit.

Hi Lulu. Yes, sorry I meant to mention that. My son started taking 2 a day and after a week he went to 3 a day. He read all of the reviews as well and I think wanted as much bank for his buck :D. And thank you, I will let you how we make out with the dermatologist.

Debbie

Cutting out all sugar is suppose to help, too - but I'm not sure how easy it is to get them to do it!

Hi Lulu. Yes, sorry I meant to mention that. My son started taking 2 a day and after a week he went to 3 a day. He read all of the reviews as well and I think wanted as much bank for his buck :D. And thank you, I will let you how we make out with the dermatologist.

Debbie

Hi Debbie, One more question. Can I purchase in local drug store and is it expensive? I have 6 children 5 boys and 1 girl with 4 of them being teenage years!!

Hi Lulu. I ordered from Amazon and later signed up for the auto ship program every 2 months and I believe it is supposed to be around 16.00 for a one month supply ( 90 pills) That's the cheapest I could find it. I originally found it on GNC but it was around $28.00. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Debbie

Hi Lulu. Sorry I didn't answer your original question. I don't think you will be able to find in a local drug store but maybe a vitamin store.

Debbie

Hi Lulu. Sorry I didn't answer your original question. I don't think you will be able to find in a local drug store but maybe a vitamin store.

Debbie

Hello...its me again! What does your son use for his daily cleansing regime? Thanks so much for your patients!!

Hi Lulu. No problem, I'm happy to help. He cleans his face with a pretty mild tea tree cleanser that they only sell at the dermatologist. As far as cleaning, the only thing I can say is that the cleansers that say anything acne on them was too harsh for his skin. Everything he was putting on his skin and taking as far as pills was already so drying that the cleansers just were to harsh. I'll write back later when I get home and see exactly what it is he uses. He also uses a moisturizer at night that they sell at the drugstore. Talk to you later.

Debbie

Hi Lulu. My son does clean his face with the tea tree cleanser as I said. He also uses Cera Ve nighttime moisturizer because of dryness and they sell that the drugstore. He uses the Epiduo topical cream , which is prescription , during the day and he also uses a moisturizer in the a.m.. that you can only get from the dermatologist. Now that I've written this and read it back, I think my son should have the best skin around for all he puts on it : ). All of this he has been using since May. He used other creams and cleansers prior to that. But we saw the most noticeable difference when he started the vitamins in July. I'm just amazed every day when I look at how clear and healthy his skin is. I hope your son has the same results with his skin should he decide to go with the vitamins. Let me know if you have any questions. Take care.

Debbie

Bragg's Apple Cidar Vinegar is the best acne treatment that me and my son has used. For the past 7-8 yrs, I've had more trouble with acne than I ever did when I was a teen. About 6 months ago, I started adding 1-2 TBSP of the vinegar to 32oz of water once or twice daily. After a week, I noticed I had no new acne. After about a month, I also noticed the blemishes were getting lighter. I've been drinking it daily and it's the only thing that keeps my acne under control. My son was so impressed with my results that he started drinking it too. He also has had great results. We both have clear skin now.

I am trying those vitamins! Amazon has them eligible for Subscribe and Save, so I added them to my October delivery. My son might not have such bad acne if he would take care of his face, but no way is he going to do a skin-care regimen--I've tried for years. Also, he had allergic reactions to some products. He doesn't have trouble taking pills, though, so I have great hopes.
Thanks for the post and the suggestion!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.