tanning?

kariev

Cathlete
the sunless thread made me think about tanning. i wanted to know how many of you still actually tan wether it be in a salon or outdoors? it used to be my one bad habit but for the past few months i have been very faithfull to sunscreen and sunless tanners. also, what are your bad habits?

I don't tan on a regular basis but when I am outdoors or on vacation I am certainly not one to avoid getting some color. I love the look! I have used the tanning salons here and there as well. I don't think there is anything wrong with getting a little sun. Having to lay out and tan all summer long or go to a salon year round I don't think is a wise choice neccessarily but to each his own. I am not one to preach. If you are a person that "NEEDS" to have that bronze glow all year around there are plenty of self tanners and tinted moisturizers out there as an alternative option to "the real thing".

Other bad habits? Let's see...

I am a coffee addict! Caffeinated in the morning, caff or decaf in the afternoon and decaf in the evening. I can drink it all day long!

I smoked (and thoroughly enjoyed it!) for about 13 years but finally quit in March of 2004.

I am on the PC too much. It is to me what TV is to others.

I tend to arrive late ALMOST everywhere I go.

I guess that's about it...:p

When I go to the pool I still lay out in the sun when I am done swimming. And I'll admit that for the first few times of the season I don't even wear sunscreen. I do like to have some color. I would love to be able to use a sunless tanning lotion or something but when I do it myself it nevers ends up looking right. I ALWAYS end up with streaks, etc. even with the ones that say they don't streak. I'm pretty sure it's operator error. :)

Other bad habits:

CHOCOLATE...I can't give it up no matter how hard I try.

Coffee

Not eating lunch...maybe I should do that one now.

Pippa

I like to lay in the sun when I'm with Aiden at the pool, but I don't make a habit to get out there. It's just whenever we go...but I am always slathered. I have such fair skin that it gives me color just by being out there. I would never tan at a salon. I look old enough from chasing my 3 y.o. around.

Other bad habits. Yeah, throw me in the coffeepot with Wendy. I am an addict. Probably got worse after having Aiden. I do half and half up until lunchtime and then no more caffeine.

I chew gum like it's going out of style. It's sugarless, but I chew quite a few sticks a day. It's like an after dinner mint for me. Oh well, could be worse habits I guess.

Debbie

I'm ready! I'm ready! I'm ready!

I tan in a tanning bed a couple times a week, all year long. It helps keep my skin clear, I just look better with a bit of color, and it relaxes me.

Also, I'm anal-retentive to a fault, and my language is not as ladylike as it should be (if ya know what I mean).

one of the reason's i ask about the tanning is b/c i really miss it. I haven't gone in the sun without spf of 50 in months and have relied on sunless tanners solely. while i have pretty good results with the graduals, its just not the same. there are some spots that end up uneven and i hate the rub off on my clothes when i sweat. i just get scared about all the skin cancer and aging things that are in all the mags and news reports. i really killed myself in the sun when i was young and my skin shows it. i don't want to have skin like my mom's. she really beat herself up in the sun and has wrinkles and precancerous stuff all over but i guess thats why moderation is good. i just so miss a healthy tan:(

I never tan, ever. I have very pale skin and I am fine with that. I wear SPF 50 all year round. I've never tried the sunless tanners or lotions, but I am thinking about giving the lotions a try.

Lori

Unfortunately, there is no such thing as a "healthy" tan. Any color means some kind of damage has been done.

I wish I knew back in my teens what I know now. I've been pretty consistent with applying SPF over the last 10 years or so, but, unfortunately, the damage was already done. Most wrinkles and "age" spots are the result of tanning. I know there's nothing that I can say to change anyone's mind, but I know I'll never tan again. And I've never done the tanning bed thing. I worked with a woman who did, though. She even owned one! She's 15 years younger than me and when I last saw her, she was tan all right, but she was also very wrinkled. When I told a friend who was with me when I last saw my former co-worker how old she was, he almost fell over! He thought she was MUCH older.

I do try to get about 10-15 minutes of unprotected sun in the morning 3-4 times a week to get a dose of Vitamin D, but that's pretty much it for me.

I go to the beach a couple times of year and use sunscreen but I'm not the best at reapplying after I've been in the water. I do my best but sometimes I'm just having too good of a time to bother with it. I have never gone to a tanning bed.

Other bad habits - talking way too much sometimes and talking way too much about myself somtimes. I can be a control freak and a drama queen at times and I over analyze EVERTHING! I'm a work in progress!

When I lay out in the pool I don't use sunscreen. I never tanned much untill I moved south. hmmmm... other bad habits, i plead the 5th;)

Michelle

I won't tan! Love the way it looks, hate the near gaurantee of cancer! Yes, my skin looks fantastic with color but it just doesn't make any sense to me to do something that is so harmful! When I head out doors, I use a suncreen and reapply often.

Also, for color, I use the Loreal self tanning gel. May not look great when it wears off a bit but I promise it looks better than skin cancer.

Other habits...addicted to cardio!

I tanned 2 summers in Ohio when I was 13/14 and I did not know any better. I am rather fair naturally with brown hair and blue eyes.

As a 34 year old adult I am very happy that I have been a SPF freak for the last 20 years. My skin is wrinkle free and firm with little to know discoloration or splotchiness.

BUT I am anything but pale. I use self tanner religiously and Sally Hansen spray on products.

The real tan is truly not worth the hazards. Sorry to say but it catches up to everyone eventually. Whether its old looking skin or cancer, the results are inevidable.

However, I am no way perfect with regard to vices. I like my wine and I don't eat as healthy as I should all the time:)

your right. i'm going to stick with my guns and not tan. one things for sure, my skin looks so much better since i've been out of the sun. thanks

My bad habits used to include sunbathing and tanning beds. Not anymore I tell ya. You hit 40 and all these spots appear out of the blue, no wrinkles yet (good genes I guess.) I use sunless tanning sprays 2 times a week to keep a glow going on. I am not super dark, but that looks odd anyway doesn't it? I see someone who has obviously baked herself in the sun and think, "boy, she's going to regret this".:-(

Bad habits? Too many to list I guess. But online shopping would be one of mine. I hate to shop at stores, online is so much fun!

Shoes. Love them, cannot get enough of them, problem? I like the really really expensive ones! x(

Hmmmm, bad habits? Love chocolate, wine and really good Chicago style pizza. I use the sunless tanners too. I've started to get those brown splotches on my face (BC Pill related?) so I have to be vigilent about sunscreen.

Jonahnah
Chocolate IS the answer, regardless of the question.:)

I'm too fair to tan. I just burn. But although I wear sunscreen on my face every day, lately I have been exposing my legs and sometimes my arms to the sun without sunscreen because Dr. Christiane Northrup advises that this is the best way to get vitamin D, and most women don't get enough vitamin D. I really trust her opinions.

As for bad habits, where to begin?? I watch too much TV, don't exercise enough, drink too much coffee, and spend too much time sleeping for starters. And like Pippa, I'm not good about eating lunch. I tend to subsist on Larabars during the day, which I know isn't a "real" lunch. There's plenty more, but that's good enough for a start. ;)

I used to lay out every summer, every chance I got (which was usually just the weekends). I don't want to ruin my skin so I have banned myself from tanning salons and I never lay out in the sun without high spf sunscreen. I like to get a little bit of color, but I have dramatically reduced the sunbathing. I use Sun Laboratories, Ultra Tan and it works pretty good because you don't need to apply a bunch of coates to get a nice color and it is not streaky, you just have to rub it in good. The color guide makes me really dark but unfortunately my skin's not that dark after a shower, but still it is tan and it fades very well.

Ashley

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.