Taking back the trails......

NinjaMom

Cathlete
I have been longing to get outside and run/bike on the trails in my area but unfortunately, the trails are becoming increasingly unsafe. We have a great trail system as well as lake trails in MN but crime/assaults are keeping me away and it makes me really sad and angry:mad: I want to be able to run or bike without fear of getting jumped.

We just lost a police officer from our town who was ambushed while sitting in his squad right next to the state trail while looking for 2 punks who car jacked a vehicle. They walked right up to his car and shot him once in the head, killing him. A jogger on the trail saw them....that is how close they were to the trail!

There is a lake nearby that I love to run around but last summer there were numerous assaults of people just running or walking around the lake. On the state trail where I bike, there were a couple instances where people were being jumped on their bikes and attacked. Granted these instances are few compared to how many people use the trails but I don't want to be one of the few that gets hit.

I live in a good suburb of Minnesota.....this is supposed to be Minnesota Nice. I want to take back the trails and feel safe when I run or bike!

Wow, that is really scary, and BOLD, especially the shooting of a police officer. Is there someone you can walk or run with? How about getting a dog to hike with (and love and cuddle)? Short of that, can you carry some type of a weapon (I am not talking 9mm)...maybe pepper spray, or something?

Carrie

Hi Judi,

How terrifying!! People run to clear their heads not stress out!! :mad: Are there any running clubs you could join? Or maybe you could start a running club both for safety but also to make a bolder statement to the losers that are ruining a perfectly peaceful time! Strength in numbers! Contact the news channels, reporters for local papers, radio stations, etc.. Rally that support and you go girl!! Take back those trails!!!

Pam

Wow, Judi, that is horrible and scary. I don't blame you for not wanting to take the chance.

PS: I thought the 9mm weapon idea sounded good.:D

I have a small container of pepper spray that clips to my waist band and I always wear it when walking on a certain trail here. If you feel comfortable carrying a gun, do so. Anyone thinking of jumping would probably be deterred just from the sight of it strapped to your waist.

I really miss my German Shepherd even though she was as gentle as a lamb, she had a presence that said "Don't mess with me or my mom!" Now I have an Avon Terrier who is small and mighty but not the least bit intimidating.

I have been in karate for years and feel confident in my self defense training but in many of these instances, there were multiple offenders with weapons. Last summer, one woman who was going through breast cancer treatment and unable to sleep, went for a walk one night and was attacked by a group of punks with baseball bats. Horrible!

I just want to be able to run where I want, when I want. To put my headphones on and just escape. I really don't like running with others but maybe that will have to change. It is just really sad that we can't feel safe anymore:(

I really miss my German Shepherd even though she was as gentle as a lamb, she had a presence that said "Don't mess with me or my mom!" Now I have an Avon Terrier who is small and mighty but not the least bit intimidating.

I have been in karate for years and feel confident in my self defense training but in many of these instances, there were multiple offenders with weapons. Last summer, one woman who was going through breast cancer treatment and unable to sleep, went for a walk one night and was attacked by a group of punks with baseball bats. Horrible!

I just want to be able to run where I want, when I want. To put my headphones on and just escape. I really don't like running with others but maybe that will have to change. It is just really sad that we can't feel safe anymore:(

That is just awful! Is there a way that a "community watch" group can be started with many people walking at the same time and reporting suspicious individuals to police. Maybe after a month or two of doing this, the hooligans will get the hint...or get arrested! I agree with Pam. Maybe start a group and contact news agencies; generate publicity. If it was me, I would want to run with a bat as well and just DARE one of them to come up to me. I might go down, but I would take a couple of the punks with me!!

Carrie

That sucks that you can't feel safe. I know exactly what you mean because I like mountain biking, trail running, and hiking but I'm far to scared to go alone. I also don't like to run with a group too. All the trails that I like to go on don't allow dogs. :( It is too bad because I would bring my crazy puppy with me. I feel safe walking late at night with him, but I would never do that alone.

It's such a shame to have a wonderful resource like that and you can't enjoy it for being afraid of being attacked! I wish I had some suggestions. What horrible events! How many miles are you talking about? Could local law enforcement be convinced to put bicycle patrols on there or something? A community patrol, maybe? At least something so people can feel safer using the trails, at least during peak times.

Again, it's just such a shame.

The police stepped up patrols of the area around the lake when a rash of attacks took place last summer but as usual, when things quiet down so does the vigilance. I have only seen one bike patrol in all the times I have biked the state trail and I usually go 25-30 miles. I pass right by the area where a man was jumped on his bike last year. The time of day for these incidents varies so you can't really pinpoint the "safest" time to go out.

Don't get me wrong, hundreds of people use these trails daily with no problems but we just don't know when the next nutcase is gonna strike! I have put in many miles alone on these trails myself and it is only in the last couple years that I started to feel unsafe. It is really sad because the trail system here is awesome and weaves through many beautiful wooded areas.

Judi - It is sad. If you have my kind of luck, you'd be the next one hit. Be very careful out there! Take care of yourself and it wouldn't hurt to carry something you can grab quickly if you have to, no matter where you are!

I often hike alone and have this perspective:
-the statistical likelihood of being harmed is small, even in a dangerous area.
-news sources don't report the ten thousand people who had a nice, safe outing, just the one who didn't, so the danger seems far greater than the reality.
-no one will keep me off the trail-it's my trail too.
-people are mostly nice, and, out in the woods, mostly just not there.
-no one is perfectly safe anywhere, and hiking in the U.S. is far safer than just going to the grocery in many countries.
-pepper spray and a loyal, protective dog are just great to have in all possible situations.
-many people in the world, including the U.S., live in truly dangerous areas-all the time.
-I'd rather die on a trail than hide inside my house.

The police stepped up patrols of the area around the lake when a rash of attacks took place last summer but as usual, when things quiet down so does the vigilance. I have only seen one bike patrol in all the times I have biked the state trail and I usually go 25-30 miles. I pass right by the area where a man was jumped on his bike last year. The time of day for these incidents varies so you can't really pinpoint the "safest" time to go out.

Don't get me wrong, hundreds of people use these trails daily with no problems but we just don't know when the next nutcase is gonna strike! I have put in many miles alone on these trails myself and it is only in the last couple years that I started to feel unsafe. It is really sad because the trail system here is awesome and weaves through many beautiful wooded areas.

This so sucks Judi. I just don't get people sometimes. Is it possible for you to hit the trail at a peak time when more runners are out so you won't be so isolated? Or even get a running buddy or two?

Yeah, it does suck but I guess we have to accept that these things happen in our world and do our best to not be a victim. I agree there is strength in number so I may have to put my preference of working out alone aside and find a buddy.

Thank you everyone for your comments and letting me vent. I guess the recent death of our police officer was the last straw:(

Judi-
As a former resident of Minneapolis, I am so bummed reading this! It has been a long time since I lived there (17 years), but I loved living there and frequently used many of the wonderful trails and parks. I used to rollerblade around Lake Harriet and Lake of the Isles several times per week and also cross-country skied at Theodore Wirth Park. I agree with those who suggest you join a running group or find a running partner. Maybe you will make some great new friends and turn a negative situation into a positive one. Sorry you are dealing with this. :(

Judi,

I'm sorry you've been robbed of your feeling of safety on the trails, but I can understand how you're feeling. I generally run in suburban areas and always carry pepper spray, but over the years, there has been a crime or two committed against pedestrians, which kept me off the streets for a couple of weeks after b/c I was just too weirded out.

I usually prefer to run alone, too, but I would probably buddy up or join a running group and start carrying the spray as has been suggested. IA that it would be a shame to miss out on the trails because of these "terrorists."

If it were me I'd carry my gun or some sort of compact model and make it very visible, if that's even allowed in your state. There are also weapons called asps which you could strap to your leg.
Otherwise, I like the recommendations of pepper spray and running with a group or a friend.
It stinks that we have to think about stuff like this when all we want to do is get outside and enjoy the world. Sheesh.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.