TaeBo or Turbo Jam ??

Fitness-Mom

Cathlete
What are your thoughts? Which do you like better?

I just ordered Turbo Jam, and I am still on the fence about it. Seems more dancy that what I am used to and her cuing is not all that great... (I guess Cathe has us spoiled).. :)
I have the Get Ripped Basic & Advanced Series... and I love it and seem to get great results from it.

Thanks!

"Today is a Gift, Have Fun"

~Jennifer~

="http://images.meez.com/user07/3/8/4/4/4/4/8/3844448_bodyshot_300x400.gif

I adore Billy-only those workouts you mentioned though, wish he would put all of those old VHS workouts on DVD, I would scoop them up. They are great, he is fun and motivating and Shelley is awesome.
Tae Bo was my first at home workout, so I will always hold a soft spot for him.

I am not a Turbo Jam fan at all, in fact I gave all mine away.Chalene irritates me, and I do not care for the style of Turbo Jam. I always laugh, because in one workout, she actually works out in a mini skirt which was really weird. But to each his own, alot of people love it!

I like Billy too. He can really lift my spirits when I am in a workout funk. Also he drives my husband crazy which is fun to do too!

Thanks~ I'm near to selling my Turbo Jam's as well!
Did you find that Turbo Jam was hard on the knees, or she just doesn't use correct form?

Any other Billy Blank's DVD's you like? I am looking to purchase a few more. I did notice his Live Series is on DVD.

~Jennifer~

I bought Billy's bootcamp elite a while ago with the resistance bands and the ab workout was VERY effective. The bands are kinda hard to get use to and can be a pain sometimes.
I also have TaeBo Capture the Power series. I like these and find my body loves it too. My knees and legs always feel better after a few weeks of these workouts.

I like Turbo Jam, less "drill" like feeling. I like music better too.

~Melanie~

Jadon born 11/23/05
Justin born 1/17/04
Jory born 4/9/94

i definately felt like the form was lacking in turbo jam. i could feel a injury in the future if i kept doing them;-)

I love both so I'm no help! However, I only like the Taebo lives, Totals, Get Ripped and Ultimate UB/LB/Butt series. Where did you see the Lives on DVD? I don't think there are any legitimate copies on disc unless the company that owned the rights (and went bankrupt) sold the rights to someone else. I think there would have been an earthquake type announcement among Taebo fans if that had happened since Billy has been trying to acquire the rights for over a decade. If you like more athletic type choreography (& less dancey), you should check out TJ Kick Punch and Jam. I didn't have a problem with Chalene's form except her lunges in Turbo Sculpt and I'm pretty picky (cannot deal w/ flying elbows!). As far as the CP3 mini-skirt, I never gave it a thought.

Jonahnah
Chocolate IS the answer, regardless of the question.

Okay, my bad. I see what you're referring to. That is one of Billy's original lives. It has instructional, 8 minute, basic and advanced on it. The instructional is great for form pointers that you won't get anywhere else. The advanced workout isn't one of my personal favorites because Billy hadn't really warmed up to the camera yet and the set was much smaller. I LOVE the Advanced Lives 2-12 and Totals 1-4. Those are only availabe on VHS and have to be purchased via Amazon re-sellers or ebay. They are worth it. The Ultimate UB/LB and Butt/Abs are on dvd and consist of compilation footage from his Lives and Totals. They rock!

Jonahnah

Hi Jen,
That's actually a different series that the Live Advanced that everyone's talking about.
The Live Advanced we're referring to has 12 tapes of Advanced and 12 of Basic (if you want it). Tapes 11 and 12 in Advanced are IMPOSSIBLE to find. I've been trying for years.

The ones that you found are OK, but not as good as Live Advanced or Get Ripped. You could also look for TaeBo Total. There are 4 Advanced and 4 basic in that series, and are equally as intense as the ones listed above.

IMO, Billy keeps putting out easier and easier workouts. He seems to target the beginners or people that struggle with committment to work out. The BootCamp series was great (Ultimate is one of the hardest workouts I've ever done - outside of Cathe) - but too much of it is "basic" for the beginner.

Amped has a couple of workouts that are similar in style to the older ones (Celebrity Get Fit and Ultimate, which is 90 minutes), but they're still not the same as old Billy.

I'm a TaeBo junkie and have been for years. I'm currently doin Live Advanced and I'm 61/2 months pregnant - I can't give it up!
But if you're looking for the tough ones that are Cathe-type intense, you'll likely have to find them on eBay.
Good luck!

Re: Live 11 and 12, I actually bought them off Amazon re-sellers in the past 4 months. I think I paid around $12 apiece for them. I bought all the Lives and Totals from Amazon re-sellers and haven't had problems with any of them. So, you might try that source instead of ebay. I search on Amazon under Tae bo, Taebo, and Billy Blanks, then sort for VHS only. Believe it or not, different tapes come up under each search. Good luck and you go girl for keeping up with Billy at 6-1/2 months! Yowza!

Jonahnah

Taebo without a doubt- I absolutely love the Get Ripped advanced and Bootcamp Cardio with the bands and Ultimate Bootcamp (very intense) (loop the bands for even more resistance which makes one killer w/o)
Billy also has 2 other series that use the band (Elite and another one), but Ultimate is the best. I really like some of his latest w/o's for lighter days (amped series, Celebrity Fit, and Ultimate Taebo (90 minute w/o) Some other good ones are Taebo Extreme (uses a step and light weights), Ultimate UB/LB, Ultimate Abs/Butt- I could go on and on- I'm a taebo junkie. Taebo helped me lose all my pregnancy weight with my 3 kids within 4-6 weeks.

Although Billy is not the best at keeping all things equal with the right and left counts for each exercise, he's extremely motivating seems like he's really having a great time out there.

I vote for TJ, though I've never done Tae Bo.

But I'm motivated by music, and like having fun and not realizing I'm working out and sweating like a maniac!!!

I also think as long as you don't go way down into the lunge moves, you're not hard on your knees.

~Chris

I LOVE TJ - great fun workouts with a twist. I like Taebo, too, but only the earlier versions (i.e. - Get Ripped). I've bought other recent Taebo and just don't like them much so I've given them away or sold them. I'm looking to buy a few more TJ's for variety.

Marcia.

I like Turbo Jam! I think its fun and I like Chaylene. I have a workout skirt too but its not so "cutesy" as that. Just plain black with a tad of blue on the top rim and a matching top (from target) and actually its a skort.

I've tried a ton of Tae Bo workouts and the only one I like is the Advanced Get Ripped DVD. You can get that on ebay and I think its in some set now. Otherwise all the rest were not very tuff and they are all kinda the same. I prefer Turbo Jams music and set so I don't mind those being similar each time. The advanced GR tapes were some of my first also and I recently upgraded them to dvd. Its the only Tae BO dvd I still own (I sold the rest) but that ones a keeper.

I feel like Turbo Jam is as good as you make it as far as intensity and I have weighted gloves I use sometime. I know how to do good form so I'm not worried about that. I do seem to prefer certain ones though and always use them. I don't remember liking her "toning" ones but its been a while. I find Cathe is more intense and also my Amy B workouts and I do turbo jam on "lighter" days when I don't want as high impact etc but its still a great workout.

The thing that kinda "bugs" me about Tae Bo is Billy is a bad cuer and sometimes doesn't balance out sides etc. Some of the moves I think are also done a bit fast but I modify them. Billy is cool though. I also am more motivated to look at really in shape people instead of regular folks. But thats me. Now that I have a ton of Cathe, Amy B and Turbo Jam workouts I haven't pulled out the Tae Bo DVD in a while.
Jess

Yes, those are the ones I am referring to as well. Maybe one day Billy will get them onto DVD!

Thanks~
I have the Basic&Advanced Ripped Series. I am looking into purchasing the Ultimates now.

~Jennifer~

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.