Switching jobs without experience - possible?

jillybean

Cathlete
I have only had 3 jobs my entire life: cashier/accountant for a grocery store, accountant for a grocery wholesaler, and now admin for a construction company. I realize that I am much too ADD and unorganized to be a numbers cruncher/paper pusher. I have nothing but admiration for those who stay focused and orderly enough to do these kinds of job well as I am not one of you. I would love to switch gears and do something creative, however, I have no schooling or experience to back up this desire. Suggestions?

My friend said I should do a 'skills resume' rather than an 'experience resume', but I just kind of got a fogged over look and began talking about candy. There goes that ADD again...

Hi Jillybean,

I think you can totally switch jobs even if you have no experience. I'm still in college, and I really think that the majority of skills are learned on the job. Everyone has to start somewhere, and I'm sure you know it is just a matter of getting your foot in the door. If you want to learn about a different profession, read about it, ask other people about it, etc. Do you have any idea what type of creativity you want to use- art, music, writing, design, something to that effect?

Gina

Hey, Beans! You know me well, and you know that after about 10 years in various facets of real estate I totally switched over to become a paralegal, and after some excellent (and expensive) training and a fairly humiliating job search, got the job of still my dreams almost 5 years ago.

Switching jobs without experience is indeed doable, and often life affirming, but doing it without a plan can be destructive. Especially if you're heading toward something in the creative fields, I think the first step is to do some serious informational interviewing with people in the fields you're thinking about. It might be that you need to do some vocational training to get some sort of basic stuff on your resume, AND you may need to do some grunt work in the area before you shoot for your dream job.

Good luck!

A-Jock

I agree with the previous posts about switching to a totally new career; of course it's possible. In fact, someone we just hired in my company (I'm an actuary for an insurance company) worked for 10 years in social work and now at age 30 is looking to become an actuary. Someone else I know didn't go to med school until she was in her late 30's. I also agree with A-Jock that you should do research and will likely need vocational or other training/schooling.

One last thing...I believe that you need to list out all your work experience (in addition to your skills) on your resume. You are going to have to put it on any job applications you fill out anyway, and you will be asked about it. If you don't include it, it will look like you are trying to hide something. Now put that candy away.

Good Luck,
Shelbygirl
P.S. Your posts always crack me up, by the way.

Thanks for the replies ladies! I will seriously think about what I WANT to do for a living, as opposed to focusing on what I DON'T want to do for a living.

This may turn out to be more than I bargained for, but I'm tired of staying with things because they are within my 'comfort zone'. Safety is good, but I'd like to think that sometimes risks can be very rewarding also.

I was a paralegal for 13 years, then switched to publishing (no experience) and have lived happily ever after for the past 11 years! At first, I had to take a step down on the pay scale to get in the door, but eventually worked my way WAY up. You can do it! (and I was in my mid-30's when I changed).

I'd recommend also getting some volunteer work in - for example - teach art classes for low income kiddo's or help a non-profit design a website or flyer or something. That way you get some experience at no cost to you PLUS you do something good for others! Just go online and do some searches, or if you know of an organization in your area, just check their web page or call them up!

Best wishes!

Hey Jilly...

I am SO with you on your sentiment regarding the 'comfort zone'. I could have posted the exact same message a year ago. And I am still fighting that tendency today, but I've taken some steps past the edge of my self-limiting boundries too.

I recommend the following book: "Zen and the Art of Making a Living" if you are contemplating a change in careers. Yes, it's a little "out-there" in some places. But the overall focus of the book is getting you to figure out what you WANT to do for a living instead of what you think you SHOULD do or what you think you MUST do or even simply what you happen to be good at.

Good luck and don't get frustrated. Take your time to figure out what you really WANT...and then figure out how to get there!

Shonie

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.