Sweet potato/sweet potato fries?

naynay

Cathlete
I know that sweet potatoes are good for you but I don't like baked sweet potatoes so are sweet potato fries just as good for you?

I'd say no; if you're eating deep-fried sweet potatoes, they are loaded with saturated fat from the oil they're fried in. Have you ever tried baking your sweet potato fries? If you bake instead of fry, you will reap all the gains from eating sweet potatoes over white ones and they might taste better compared to a baked SP. My bf doesn't like baked SP's, but when I bake the SP "fries," he loves them.

This is what I do if you wanna try it out:
  • Preheat over to 400
  • Wash and dry the potatoes. Cut them length-wise into fry shapes.
  • Line a cookie sheet w/ foil and spray with Pam. Set the fries out and spray top w/ pam. Season with kosher salt (sometimes I'll also throw some cayenne or paprika on them too)
  • Bake 20 min, turn, and bake 20 min more
Keep an eye on them for the 2nd round of baking cuz depending how thick your strips are, they may take less than 20 min.

I don't like baked sweet potatoes but love sweet potato fries and LOVE this recipe for sweet potatoes:

Start like Meliffy recommended but I cut my sweet potatoes into cubes and toss them with olive oil. After they are roasted (I like to corners to get a little charred), toss them with lime juice, cayenne pepper, a little more olive oil, coarse salt and cilantro - YUMMY!! The olive oil does add some fat but it is healthy fat.

Lisa

I don't like baked sweet potatoes but love sweet potato fries and LOVE this recipe for sweet potatoes:

Start like Meliffy recommended but I cut my sweet potatoes into cubes and toss them with olive oil. After they are roasted (I like to corners to get a little charred), toss them with lime juice, cayenne pepper, a little more olive oil, coarse salt and cilantro - YUMMY!! The olive oil does add some fat but it is healthy fat.

Lisa

Oooooh that sounds SO good!! I love cilantro!

No problem! They are quite delish, I promise, and the dip is positively ah-MAAAAAAZ-ing... I use nonfat yogurt and canola mayo and extra lime juice.

Come to think of it, I have not tried a bad recipe from that blog yet!

Alexia makes a great frozen sweet potato fry that's all natural and yummy. They are 150 calories and 6 grams of fat per serving (about 12 fries). I like a lot of their fries and make them for my family when we grill out. They aren't deep fried, so they're aren't as bad for you. :)

PB Sweet Potato

FYI: With a GI of 54, the sweet potato won’t cause a blood sugar surge. In fact, the beta carotene indicated by the lovely orange color actually helps your cells respond to insulin, the hormone that removes sugar from the bloodstream.

You might try a baked sweet potato with some organic peanut butter or almond butter topped on it! That's my favorite. Just a dollop of peanut butter and you can even sprinkle some cinnamon too! It's decadent!

Potatoes are the most efficient fuel for energy production and can also be stored as glycogen in muscle and liver. For a low-fat version, try frying the sweet potatoes in olive oil. It has having the lowest glycemic index among root veggies because it digests very slowly, which helps you feel full longer.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.