suspicious mammogram- really scared

jennifur

Cathlete
Hi Everyone,
I don't post very often, usually lurk. I went for my annual mammogram today I was told the doctor would look at the films and call on Monday. Well as soon as I got home she called to say that there was something on my right breast. I need to go for more views and an ultrasound. My mother had breast cancer and a mastectomy 2 years ago. I was her primary caregiver. She's ok now. It was scary. I have to wait a week for the follow up tests. I'm petrified.I'm hoping it's because I'm at the tail end of my period and I always get major breast tenderness and PMS. I'm 47 and definitely perimenopausal. Does anyone have some good encouraging stories for me about suspicious mammograms that turned out to be nothing serious? I need encouragement, it's going to be a long scary week. Please, anyone some encouraging words. So much appreciated. Time for a drink.Thanks, Jen

Hi,
I had the same thing happen to me this past April. Had my annual mammo and was called back in as they doc seen something. Had to have more mammo pics and ultrasound.

This scared me because my mom was just diagnosed with breast cancer in March and she is going through all the treatments.

So I went and then waited til the doc read my new pics and ultrasound.

thank goodness it turned out to be overlapping glandular tissue and nothing to worry about.

I was so happy but waiting those few days til the appointment was freaking me out and I am so happy they could tell me right away and I didn't have to wait any longer.

I am hoping for the best for you. Rhonda

Hang in there, ya never know.

I had a mammogram and there was something on it that I had to go to a special place where they do the scans and read them on the spot. They scanned me and then had me sit out in a room, then they asked for another scan, then another scan, then told me to go to another room for an ultrasound. At that point I was in tears. But the ultrasound found two water filled cysts. At least they were able to do the scans and tell me right away.

It's scary !

Jen, I'm so sorry you're having to go through this! Four years ago I had a suspicious mammogram, then another one, then an ultrasound, then had to have an image-guided needle biopsy. The whole process took about 6 scary weeks, but in the end, the biopsy was negative and all was ok. My sis had breast cancer 10 yrs ago w/mastectomy, so it was quite scary for me to go through this. So this is just to say that it can all work out totally fine. By the way, I'm so glad your mom is well.

Also, my friend got called back for a suspicious mammogram years ago, and it turned out to be a flaw in the x-ray film!

Hang in there and be strong! It's easy to say not to be scared, but it's impossible not to be. Just know that it can all end up ok. We're all here for you if you need to talk.

Hugs to you and I wish you all the best of luck!

For the past two years

I had to get more mammogramms/ultrasounds but everything was in the clear in the end. This year I did not do any weight work or push-ups for a week before my mammogram appointment and everything came out clear right away.

Muscle soreness/tissue built-up shows on the ultrasound/mammogram; the same goes for the manual breast exam from the doctor. If my breasts are sore, he feels the tightness and is concerned and wants me to come back in a week. I go back the following week after not doing any weights and my breasts are fine.

You will be fine, too.

Thank you so much for your kind responses. It really helps and is so appreciated you could never imagine. I'm just trying to get it out of my head until I have more information. Someone , please,hit me ove the head with a rock to induce amnesia. Ignorance really is bliss.

Rhonda,
How is your mom doing? my mother is 2 years out. Did the chemo and now is on arimidex for 5 years. Thank God her scans are coming out ok. My best to your mom.

I had a "suspicious" mammo the very first time out! Had to go back for an ultra-sound, that they did twice, then just make you sit you in the waiting room. I was calm until the waiting part - then I really started to get nervous. Luckily it turned out to just be a cyst.
Hang in there and don't worry until you have to. (I know, easier said than done!) Good luck!!

I have a friend who has to go back almost every year for "more views" because she has a tendency to get benign cysts. Chances are, that is what you will have too. I know it's hard, but try not expend energy and time worrying about something unless/until you know for certain there really is something to worry about. :)

I do not have any stories to share...just love! Hang in there - our thoughts are usually the scariest things to fear sometimes. I am pulling for you!

Hi Jennifer,

I don't have any advice. I just wanted to send you great big (((((((((((((((healthy hugs))))))))))))) and let you know that I will pray for you!!!

Hang in there, Sweetie!!

Pam

You're right- that really is scary. However, the vast majority turn out to be nothing at all to worry about. In fact, there are so many of these things that they are considering scrappying mammograms at a younger age altogether.

Telling someone not to worry in those circumstances is useless. What I say is go for it- worry like crazy, really wallow in it. Eventually, it gets exhausting and boring and you move on to thinking of something else.

I would say this, though: whether it is something, or isn't something, you should go at the rest of your life, however long it may be, like it was something. Live your life like today is all you have. Tell your loved ones you love them. Make your peace with the past. Do those things that you've always wanted to do but never got around to. Because this is probably nothing, but for every one of us, one day is eventually our last and we never know when that's going to be.

Last edited:
I had a spot that led to a core biopsy. It turned out benign.

I'm sorry you're going through this. I remember the waiting wasn't fun. Wishing the very best for you and sending you many cyber ((hugs)). :)

I've had several suspicious mamograms. At one point my doc. would schedule me for a mamo and an ultrasound at the same time because my mamos. were hard to read. I had a needle biopsy also. Everything turned out fine. My doc. told me that it is quite common to have to follow up a mammogram with an ultrasound. Hang in there.

I had a friend who sat on the boards of a couple of different breast cancer foundations. About 7 years ago (when I was freaking out about getting a mammogram) she told me the following:

When anyone goes for a mammogram, they can think of 3 big posters. Each poster says 95%. What they mean is:

Anyone going for a mammogram has a 95% chance of not being called back.

Anyone being called back has a 95% chance of everything turning out benign.

Anyone who does have a tumor with bad cells in it has a 95% chance of being totally cured, with no recurrence, after treatment - and some of the treatments are very simple.

And remember this was 7 years ago, and what she was reading in her literature was probably already a couple of years old even then. So probably the statitistics have improved since then.

I still freak out when I go for mammograms, I haven't been called back yet but I know a ton of people who have either been called back once or get called back every year for some reason, and I have not had one of them be diagnosed with anything scary. Of the friends of friends, mothers of friends, etc., who I have heard have been diagnosed with something scary, every single one of them is doing just fine, with no recurrences, after their treatments, and many of them are way past the 5-year point.

Waiting for medical tests is TORTURE, we all send you hugs and support.

I think I have been called back just about everytime I have ever had one. All my friends have been called back a couple times too. I had 1 ultrasound. It was fine. They have to be VERY picky these days. And the newer mamo's pick up on everything!! I would say next time don't go on a Friday--it makes for a very LONG weekend!!! :) Linda

Lori, so great to see you back again, funny H2O!
Thank you, Ms. Star. Good to see you too!
smiley-greet013.gif

Several years ago I had an MRI of my head and they told me that I had an aneurysm and to go back for another in 6 months. When I went back the MRI was clear. Apparently there was a smudge on the first one.

If you can "reframe" the situation, maybe you could be grateful that you have such good health care that they can run all of the tests to verify the situation good or bad. I often think of women in other countries who don't have the most basic of medical care and would just be really sick and in a lot of pain before they died of any medical issue.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.