Supreme 90 day - anyone tried it?

angie_nrs

Cathlete
I just caught the tail end of a commercial for this. It looks like a knock off of P90X. I'm surprised I haven't heard of it before, b/c usually someone on this board brings things like this to my attention.:confused: I did a search on this forum and there is no mention of it, so I'm wondering if it is brand spankin' new. Looking at the web site, it really screams P90X at me but the price seems way too low for a P90X type system. The nutrition guide is written by Tosca Reno, which is impressive. Here is a link to the site:
https://www.supreme90day.com/

If this is similar to P90X, I would definitely be interested. It would be nice to have 2 similar systems to interchange with each other. I loved P90X and got great results with it.

So, I gotta know.....anyone tried it??? If so, please dish........

I saw the commercial for the 1st time last night and thought "wow, they ripped off P90X." Even the commercial had cheap production value.

Dunno about this one....

Nan

I just started a rotation of it yesterday.

It is somewhat reminiscent of P90X, but in some ways not as good, in some ways better. If you visit VF, look up threads about it. I gave a good, long (well, long, at least) critique of the 1st workout after I did it.

With some caveats (the pace of workout 1 is too frantic as-is, there is no chaptering beyond "warm-up" --the same in most of the workouts--"workout", and "cooldown" --again, the same in most of the workouts, if not all: I didn't check that out when previewing).

IMO, it's DEFINITELY worth the price (I paid less than $28 total with shipping, but I ordered through Bed, Bath and Beyond, because the direct seller's customer service is questionable).

I ordered Supreme 90 through Bed Bath and Beyond. I paid $14.99. I had a five dollar off coupon. I have only done one workout so far (the Tabata Inferno workout). I have completed two full rotations of P90x so I will be able to give a comparison. I do not think that you can go wrong for the price but I will keep the forum posted as I complete more of the workouts.

Kathryn - can you tell me how long the workouts are? Good to know I can get it at BB&B.:)
They are all under an hour. About 40-45 minutes, as-is (but I had to stretch Chest/Back to almost an hour to get in my reps at my pace. It's really frantic for heavy weights. The other workouts aren't, at least IIRC from my previewing).

Angie: I've previewed a few of the dvd's and have done the two cardios. This will probably be a bit random in the observations, but I don't have time to really organize what I'm writing, so please bear with me. I'm actually doing P90X, right now.

Supreme is not just like P90X. This is not a bad thing, BTW! But, for example, they are shorter workouts, there is no yoga, and even though the cardio is high impact for some moves, it doesn't have anything comparable to Plyo X. It also moves at a faster pace. There are pushups but no pullups (at least, I haven't seen them).

The music is non-descript rock, very P90X like, but it is played at a lower volume and I didn't even notice it on one of the cardios except when for a short time it was a bit louder.

I like the set on P90X more, but the Supreme isn't awful or anything. Tony Horton and his back up people are more engaged with each other, but again, not really a reason to not like Supreme. Tom Holland, who leads Supreme, doesn't do any of the workout, except to demo the move one time.
Some people like the instructor to work along with them instead of coach, it doesn't much matter to me, I'm fine either way if they are delivering a good workout. Although, I love how Cathe is in the trenches with us. Tom is not as "out there" as Tony, which could be a huge plus for some, but Tom does constantly talk through the workout. Neither instructor's style bothers me, I usually tune out the workout in terms of the chatter, anyway. Actually, Tom reminds me a lot more of Bob Harper's style on his Inside Out (or whatever they are called) but, Tom is lot less "no pain, no gain" and friendlier than Bob is (BTW, I like Bob, too, he's just different).

Again, the exercisers don't really interact with Tom, much. They are all super fit and look pretty young. There is one girl, Sally, I think, who is really ripped! There is one girl who is very fit and a bit "enhanced," I love her hair. All the ladies are very fit and pretty. I thought Sally's form was a little off on a couple of things (rounded back) but, Tom didn't seem to mind, so it may have been just me. The guys are cute and fit. One has tattoos. Not as much variety on the exercisers, like Cathe has.

It looks like they reused the footage of warm ups and cool downs. The biggest stand out differences are no pull ups (that I have spotted so far) which, I think, the pullups and pushups are what really make P90X, there is also no plyo, and no yoga. They are much shorter workouts (again, this could be a huge plus). The leg dvd clocked in at under 30 minutes and when you think about how you work your legs in both the plyo and yoga, that isn't a lot of leg working out, over all. I like the Supreme cardios better than the KenpoX and CardioX. One is Tabata style where you work hard 20 seconds and rest 10 seconds. The other is on 30 seconds, off 30 seconds. Both are tough, about 30 minutes and non-complicated but effective moves. I'm not sure I like the weights moves in the cardio, because some of them are not full body and my heartrate went down. I think I would add lunges or squats in where I could to keep the hr up.

The nutrition book is mostly menus, not much in the way of guidelines. I think there is more info in Tosca's books than in this pamphlet. BTW, I would have loved to see her in the videos and was kind of dissapointed she wasn't in them but only because she is very aspirational, especially if you know her story. I thought it was funny how much she talked about BM's in the beginning of the booklet. And she wants you to drink 4 cups of water first thing in the morning. The menus are a little different for men. It doesn't go the full 90 days, but you would just repeat the earlier stuff, anyway.

Overall, for the money it is a great set. I don't think it is a duplicate of P90X, which is misleading. It is a great set on its own merits. But, I've used P90X at least 3 times and feel I've more than gotten my money's worth since I've used it a lot and the emphasis on pushups and pullups have always gotten my body to respond in a great way. Same thing with STS.

Oh, yeah, the set is not chaptered like P90X and no premixes like Cathe offers. I like workouts that are well chaptered and that I can fast forward through the "check with a doctor or you may die and we won't be responsible if you do" stuff. Its not as bad as some of Jillian Michaels where you have to go through the same talking interview each time to get to the workout, though.

I hope this helps.

I thought Sally's form was a little off on a couple of things (rounded back) but, Tom didn't seem to mind, so it may have been just me.
No, it's not just you. And it's not just Sally. There are lots of instances of bad form (like the guy cranking his neck up to look forward during planks). Tom doesn't seem to correct them much.

And while that one girl looks 'a bit' enhanced in the first few workouts (and she has EXCELLENT form in the Ultimate Ball workout with ball planks), there's one in which she's wearing a white top where it appears much more than "a bit". (May be the Tabata workout, which I have on schedule for today).

Two or three of the guys have tats, one with messy looking scribbly stuff that goes all the way up one arm.

(Just in case people are bothered by things like that. I notice things like that on preview, but like the bad plank form, I don't see it during the workouts themselves).

This is available at Ollie's outlet now for $7.99.

The price is tempting, but the packaging is lousy, so if you get it , you'll want to also buy DVD cases.

I bought it, but haven't used it yet. Anybody using this still, or has it ended up in your trash?

I have it but haven't tried it yet either. I picked it up cheap at Ross. However, I recently got an email from BigLots that was advertising it for $4...I paid $7 I think. For that cheap I don't think you could go wrong!

I bought it a while ago. I used it for 6-8 weeks. I liked it! For the price, it was definitely worth it. The leg workout is short..but BRUTAL!

Kimberly

I bought this awhile back (but not at that price :(). I agree with the other posters that said the background exercisers were "rushing". The pace is sometimes frantic, and although Tom Holland says to go at your own pace, it's kinda hard :confused:. That was my only caveat about the program. Either than that, I really like it. For the cardio workouts alone, I would say get it! Tabata Inferno is KILLER TOUGH! This might prepare you for Cathe's newest releases :eek:. I like Tom Holland as a trainer too. His exercises are simple and straightforward, yet very effective. In ways he reminds me of Cathe. He is motivating, funny, nice, yet tough, without being overbearing. If he ever came out with another DVD set (and fixed the problem of the frantic exercisers!) I would not hesitate to purchase it.

Natasha

OK- I've been doing DVD #4 (Arms and Shoulders) once a week for a few weeks now, and I have to say I really like it.
It's 44 min long including warm-up and cool-down, and includes abs. I am using this as part of the "More recent tank top Rotation". It is perfect for the shoulders,bis,and tris day.I'd say even if I don't ever use the other workouts in the series, ( I haven't tried any others yet.) my money was well spent for this one alone.
He does four sets of different exercises in this order: SH, BI,TRI 3 sets each exercise. Very efficient. I still like Cathe better, but really she doesn't have a workout like this one, so its good for the variety. :):)

Linda1 said:
OK- I've been doing DVD #4 (Arms and Shoulders) once a week for a few weeks now, and I have to say I really like it.
It's 44 min long including warm-up and cool-down, and includes abs. I am using this as part of the "More recent tank top Rotation". It is perfect for the shoulders,bis,and tris day.I'd say even if I don't ever use the other workouts in the series, ( I haven't tried any others yet.) my money was well spent for this one alone.
He does four sets of different exercises in this order: SH, BI,TRI 3 sets each exercise. Very efficient. I still like Cathe better, but really she doesn't have a workout like this one, so its good for the variety. :):)

I'm doing STS meso 3 and just did a biceps, triceps, shoulders workout thats pretty similar to that...three exercises repeated for four sets, then you start over with three new exercises...this happens a total of three times. Love it!

from the clips I didn't really care for this workout set (everyone doing something different, going to a different exercise at different time would just distract me ), so even at $20 it would of been a waste of money if I didn't like it (rather spend $20 on just 1 workout I really like), but I did pick it up for $4 at Biglots...that's a bargain even if I only like a couple of the workouts.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.