Super Easy DVDs

TRSTACIE

Cathlete
Hi there! I am trying to help my mom be more active. She wants to loose weight plus the exercise would help her control her sugar (diabetic) and stress levels. I tried to get her hooked on Cathe by giving her a step, the Basic Step DVD, and Travel Fit to increase her strength with the band work but she found those to be too hard for her. I am not even sure she would be able to do a beginner Gilad workout right now since she is becoming less and less active. Can anyone suggest some really easy workouts for her to start out with?

I have never tried anything by Leslie Sansone but I see her walking DVDs in the fitness section of Target all the time. Would these work? Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

I am not sure of her weight. All she has said is that she has gained about 25lbs. She is 5'0 so even small weight gains tend to make her jump up a size. She will be 62 this July.

I like Leslie Sansone, you can watch a clip on Collage Video to decide which one to buy. Don't pick one that says 'advanced' right away, those have running intervals.

Leslie Sansone would be a good choice for your mom. Go to collagevideo.com for a description of available LS DVDS. My personal favorite is Walk Away the Pounds: 5 day Fit. I used it several times when I was recovering from Sciatica and it was the only exercise I could do that didn't aggravate my back. It has a beginner 1 mile workout that most anyone can do. The walkers mostly use 2 pd balls that add intensity but these aren't required. Small hand weights would work too!

Good Luck,
Denny R.

Check your library. They have a lot of easier workouts, and then you can try some before you purchase. Mayo Clinic has some good yoga for different ailments that I tried for my Mother. Our library system is fairly limited, but they still had a nice selection of Leslie Sansone and others--hope yours does too.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will get her the one that DennyR suggested!

@Elsie - I thought about the library as well. The library where she lives is small and doesn't have DVD rentals. Although mine does, we live about 2.5 hrs apart and my library only lets you have the DVDs out for a week before they have to be renewed. If someone happens to request it, then they don't let you renew it and then the fines start racking up if you don't return it. It would be a great idea if we lived in the same town. Thank you for the suggestion!

I think kathy smith has some step that can be for a begginer. Or susan powder has one that is a really good one for begginers she has like five people doing five diff levels. It is also slow paced amazon has it for a very low price or they did. Also for stretching. KATHY smitb has basic yoga shed love. It is slow and controled. Very relaxing.

Another vote for Leslie Sansone. Hers was my first DVD when I decided to start exercising but couldn't join a gym. My kids were 2 and 3 years old, and it was a great place to start because even if I could only fit in 15 minutes, at least I knew I had walked a mile!

After a few months it did become boring and easy, but that's how I moved up to The Firm and then a few months after that thankfully Cathe!

I think kathy smith has some step that can be for a begginer. Or susan powder has one that is a really good one for begginers she has like five people doing five diff levels. It is also slow paced amazon has it for a very low price or they did. Also for stretching. KATHY smitb has basic yoga shed love. It is slow and controled. Very relaxing.

I hadn't thought about Kathy Smith. Do you know how her beginner step workouts compare to Cathe's basic step? Is it a lot easier?

Leslie Sanson is a good choice I think too. Also give her homework by having her walk every day and start off by walking as far as she can. Then the next day walk that far again. The next day walk 2 min. longer and the next day 2 min. longer still. Until she is walking for 30 min. a day. Then for something really different have her speed walk as far as she can and do this all over again. If she wants to change her life. As time goes by she will feel better and get use to it.

At this time she can perhaps start with a beginners step workout. Doesn't matter which one, just have her do what she did with the walking as far as she can go. But have her watch this DVD the night before trying it. Once she accomplishes this she can do anything else she wants by little steps at a time.

Tell her I'm 61 doing most all of Cath's DVD's with some modifications) and I'm still getting stronger. If I can do it she can too. You do have to want to get strong and healthy though, or it won't work. That is what will motivate her through it all.

Janie

Last edited:
I think Leslie Sansone is a great choice for most anyone regardless of age and weight. Leslie has a couple that might be more beneficial to her like Senior Walk and Walk This Way. She also has A Closer 2 Miles, Walk Down Your Blood Sugar, and Walk the Walk a Heart Healthy Walk all of which would be good to get her started on. You can find a compilation disc called Walk Away the Pound Ultimate Collection that would be good and give her the option from working up from 1 mile to 3 or 4; I don't remember if it's up to 3 miles or up to 4 miles in the longest workout.

As for strength training- Stephanie Huckabee has a series called PowerFit. It includes PowerFit, PowerFit Harmony, and PowerFit Plus. All of these are currently on sale at Total Fitness DVDs - Your Total Source for Fitness through March 31st. The site is having a site-wide sale starting April 1st and PF Series will probably reappear on sale if you miss the deadline. It comes with the fitness bands and each workout is about 20 minutes in length. I really enjoy them and use them often when my illness flares. Petra Kolber also makes a strength workout called Step by Step Strength which is very beginner. Depending on her flexibility, it might be hard for her to do the floor work. If that's the case, You can look into Chair Fitness DVDs which has a strength training workout done from seated positions.

Kim Lyons Sit Down & Shape Up Series is also very beginner and might be the perfect place for her to start when it comes to strength if PowerFit and Petra Kolber are still just a hair too fast or complicated.

I think it's important to keep in mind that Cathe's Basic Step might be too much for her. While other 62 yr olds on this board might be able to, it's not fair to assume that everyone else "should be able to" as well. The important thing to keep in mind is finding something that she LOVES and enjoys but also finds success with. She can always build up to Basic Step if that's what SHE decides she has an interest in. It's not about what others can do and comparing yourself/others to those standards. Rather it's about doing your personal best each day and forgetting the rest. Your mother deserves her health and happiness and deserves to enjoy her workouts without feeling a sense of dread or comparing herself or ability to others.

Last edited:
Since there isn't any other 60+ age person here on this thread, I'm assuming you are talking about me. I have to tell you it took me baby steps to get where I am today and a lot of hard work. And I still think that if I can do it so can she. One baby step at a time.

You have fantastic information on how a person starting out on exercise can follow. Bravo for that.

Janie

She's not you. Therefore it's no one's place to say what someone else should or should not do bc of what you can do. That's not your place, point and case. And dare I say, not everyone has the same goals in life as you. Congrats on working up to it from baby steps- that's what YOU wanted. Perhaps she doesn't. Perhaps 1,000s of others regardless of health or age don't either. It's not your place to judge what other people can/can't/should/shouldn't do with their lives and fitness. She may not be motivated by pushing herself and limits with baby steps, she just might not care! Who is anyone to tell someone what they ought to do? Like guilt and judgement ever gave someone positive reinforcement. Not everyone is you. Not everyone wants what you do and works out like you do. That in the reality of the world is just dandy, A-ok! So I think you need to back off that whole "I can so can you" mentality; turning your nose down on someone isn't going to help. Some people never want to advance into Cathe workouts. I think you need to understand everyone is different and tastes and desires are very broad. Some people gladly only walk slowly for health and fitness, others run marathons with a million different options in between. Who's to say what someone should do differently if it's what they enjoy? I know all too many people that don't like working hard anymore and want something that makes them feel good. Others want to be a bloody mess on the floor after a workout and would consider a stroll in the park to be anything but exercise. What works for you is best for you. But don't be telling others what is best for them and what they need to work towards. As a friend used to say " It's not your body, it's not your space, therefore it's not your place".

Last edited:
@janiejoey - Thank you very much for all your feedback. I enjoyed getting some advice from someone that is closer to my mom's age. I have to say that you are a true inspiration. I am pretty sure I had read on some of your other posts that you have health issues as well. I am so awed that you still workout to Cathe despite having these obstacles and yet you still overcome them. Totally amazing!

@mrsprincess07 - Thank you very much for your input as well. You are right though that my mom is not as motivated as Janie is. I wish she was but she simply isn't. I try not to push her because you are also right that it is her body and her life but doctors have been telling her that she needs more exercise as well. Her sugar levels had gotten high and she was having some health issues because of it. She also likes to go see scenic places in the summer but unless she gets more active she won't be able to hike up to the prettier areas. I will look at the power fit set you suggested. A combo of walking and some light strength toning would do wonders for her. Thanks again for the suggestions!

@janiejoey & @mrsprincess07 - Two very different view points and yet much of what both you said in regards to my mom was completely accurate. I do believe that she could work up to Cathe if she tried. However, the motivation is simply not there for Cathe right now and maybe it never will be. The most motivated I saw her was shortly after I started doing Cathe. She liked how I was starting to firm up and wanted to try for herself. Unfortunately, she gave up after only a few tries even though I told her it took me several weeks to master basic step and I was doing it three times a week. Hopefully some of the suggestions that all of the terrific people in this thread provided will work. BTW, I am sorry things got somewhat heated between the two of you. That was never my intent at all when I started this thread. I did really value everyone's input though and hope everyone will continue to post helpful information and advice in the future.

I hadn't thought about Kathy Smith. Do you know how her beginner step workouts compare to Cathe's basic step? Is it a lot easier?

the one im thinking of is a basic step and it is 8 minute warm up, with 12 minutes of stepping as begginer, then go on to 12 more minutes as she progresses, then 12 more minutes. It has low impact versions on it.. I think Kathy is great with cuing and it can be adjusted to what the person needs. I loved it for years i still have not outgrown it.. It is a solid step program. Not like Cathes of course but it is great to start with, You can use no risers, you can add risers and the movements are all basic, and she shows one person in the back doing power moves for the advanced.

I think if you get this and a couple of the walking tapes they are talking about it can be benificial to her. Oh yes and also i have had the Jane Fonda tapes that are good back in the 90's, as well she used the same concept as Kathy does they show variations of basic and begginers threw the whole thing and it has the end of tape segments of light weight liftning or abs. It is called "Jane Fondas Step and stretch workout" and "jane fondas step aerobic and abdominals workout" and i have one call jane fondas "abs buns and thighs workout " it is floor work and low impact. I think she can do these.. !! Im excited to tell you about them for her.. I know how you feel wanting to help her out. I just lost my mom and i so wish she would have done some exercise years before, it may have saved her life..

I love my mother and miss her terribly! I think it would have been wondeful if i could have gotten her to try. My mom however i feel just gave up because she lost her husband.

Well anyway i am cheering her on! and you as well.. im so happy you are looking out for her! I say this becasue out of all the kids mom had 6 all together it was only me who was with her all the years i can remember the others where "busy".

Also there is that one tape i was telling you about New yoga basic from Kathy Smith.. Oh i remember Denise Austin as well.. go to amazon.com and you will find all of them there at low low prices. since they are older you may be able to find them for a still! I found Cathes step heat on there for five dollars!!
Keep me informed please on what you decide and what happens! Good Luck!! praying for her and you. :D

Last edited:
@janiejoey - Thank you very much for all your feedback. I enjoyed getting some advice from someone that is closer to my mom's age. I have to say that you are a true inspiration. I am pretty sure I had read on some of your other posts that you have health issues as well. I am so awed that you still workout to Cathe despite having these obstacles and yet you still overcome them. Totally amazing!

@mrsprincess07 - Thank you very much for your input as well. You are right though that my mom is not as motivated as Janie is. I wish she was but she simply isn't. I try not to push her because you are also right that it is her body and her life but doctors have been telling her that she needs more exercise as well. Her sugar levels had gotten high and she was having some health issues because of it. She also likes to go see scenic places in the summer but unless she gets more active she won't be able to hike up to the prettier areas. I will look at the power fit set you suggested. A combo of walking and some light strength toning would do wonders for her. Thanks again for the suggestions!

@janiejoey & @mrsprincess07 - Two very different view points and yet much of what both you said in regards to my mom was completely accurate. I do believe that she could work up to Cathe if she tried. However, the motivation is simply not there for Cathe right now and maybe it never will be. The most motivated I saw her was shortly after I started doing Cathe. She liked how I was starting to firm up and wanted to try for herself. Unfortunately, she gave up after only a few tries even though I told her it took me several weeks to master basic step and I was doing it three times a week. Hopefully some of the suggestions that all of the terrific people in this thread provided will work. BTW, I am sorry things got somewhat heated between the two of you. That was never my intent at all when I started this thread. I did really value everyone's input though and hope everyone will continue to post helpful information and advice in the future.

wow that was well said.. very nice

ITA with the Leslie Sansone recommendation. I have done Leslie's workouts off and on over the years, and are a good place for beginners.

I suggest that you go to Collage Video and check out the ShapelyGirl workouts by Debra Mazda. The choreography in Debra's workouts are basic, and also provide a good workout for beginners at any age.

Cally

I love my mother and miss her terribly! I think it would have been wondeful if i could have gotten her to try. My mom however i feel just gave up because she lost her husband.

Well anyway i am cheering her on! and you as well.. im so happy you are looking out for her! I say this becasue out of all the kids mom had 6 all together it was only me who was with her all the years i can remember the others where "busy".

Awww...that was such a sweet post. Thank you Renee. I love my mom too! She has been struggling with negative feelings since grandma got sick and moved in with her. They have never really gotten along and Grandma is very stubborn and makes life difficult for her. We are working on getting some help for Mom or getting Grandma into a nursing home but first we have to get her declared mentally incompetent because she has refused all medical treatment and even simple medical exams. She is stressed out to the max and I know a good exercise regime would make her feel better.

Thanks again for the kind words!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.