Sunless tanners....

Stacy

Cathlete
.....for those of you who use them, can someone recommend a good, non-streak sunless tanner. Cost isnt much of a deal to me.

Thanks,

Stacy

I think I've tried just about every sunless tanner on the market, and although we all may have differing results in what works best for us, the best one by far from my own experience is Au Courant (I buy mine @ http://www.tanforless.com/aucourant.html). It comes with an applicator sponge, and in addition to being a self-tanner is an instant bronzer.

I've always found that the self tanners I've used in the past will fade leaving spots all over - this one doesn't. I exfoliate before (I use Lancome's Exfoliant Fraichelle) and the end result looks really natural and lasts about a week.

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Apr-18-02 AT 12:06PM (Est)[/font][p]I love sunless tanning. I'm on my way at lunch to pick up my seasonal tube of Clarin's Self-tanning Milk. I love this stuff. It's a little pricey ($22?) but when you decide not to do it for awhile, it does not flake off - it just fades. My husband uses it also on his first outing in shorts each year. Both of us are cursed with snake belly white legs. We are such an attractive couple.

Hope this helps.

Donna Marie

PS..A lot of the sunless products I tried had a weird aftersmell and that interfered with the scent of cologne/perfume. Clarin's doesn't seem to be as potent in the aftersmell department.

My friend just recommended Avon's Sun So Soft Self Tanning Lotion, I'm waiting for mine to come in the mail. She said it goes on well, good color, no streaks and great smell. Also it is on sale right now. $5.99 for a 4.2 oz bottle. I've had good luck with Avon products and you can order online www.avon.com and no one calls to harass you or anything.

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Apr-18-02 AT 02:17PM (Est)[/font][p][font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Apr-18-02 AT 02:16 PM (Est)[/font]

Disclaimer: I am a different Kristina so I am not trying to answer for the other Kristina who's posted here above. :)

Neutragena Foam bronzer is excellent for $9. I also really like Lancome flash bronzer ($27), it dries right away and you can get dressed and take off immediately.
If your skin is dry, the Lancome is excellent because it is a Vitamin E oil base spray (don't use if prone to acne)
Both give natural, quick color and don't streak.
I buy St. Ives apricot body scrub ($5) and use before I tan.
Haven't tried the Avon or the Clinique, but have heard good things about both.

I use the ones that are sold in stores that have a have lotion on one side of the bottle and a tanner on the other side and they mix together when they come out. I think they're made by Coppertone (light aqua bottle) and Bain de Soliel (brown bottle). I just got one at Target for $9.99. They come in different shades. I've never had any problems with them when I take my time. The color also appears within an hour and dries fast. Just be sure to shave, exfoliate, moisturize, and rub it in well.

Also, mentioned above was Clarins tanner- they sometimes will give out free samples if you ask at the dept store counter.

I am white, white, white!!!And, my sister is a dermatologist (for some reason that doesn't look like it's spelled right-that's the teacher in me), so between us we've tried MANY self-tanners over the years. The ones that were the worst were Hawaiian Tropic and Estee Lauder (people actually said, "nice bottle tan"). My favorite one, as well as my sister's is Coppertone Endless Summer (both light and dark). My 2nd favorite is Neutrogena in the yellow bottle.

Susan, I use the Au Courant Instant Tanning Lotion - this is the only one I've tried out of the several different types that they sell. (I think that on the website I have mentioned above that you have to buy the sponge applicators separately though.)

I looked on the tanforless.com web site and aucourant has a variety of self tanners. Which one do you use and recommend? Do you think the sponge gives better results than doing it by hand?
Thanks in advance for your reply!

I generally use the Banana Boat Medium tan. It goes on nicely and gives a natural looking tan. My friends always think I am lying when I tell them my tan is from a bottle! It does have a smell though, like most of them. I apply it at night about 2 hours before I go to bed so that I can wake up with a tan and shower off the smell.

The May issue of Self Magazine rates Neutrogena Instant Bronze as the best self tanner. I just bought some today and was going to try it later tonight (probably after I workout). I too am extremely pale skinned and could never tan (just burn and freckle)no matter how long I stayed out in the sun.

I've never had any luck with self tanners before. I haven't mastered the technique yet I guess. My "tan" always looks streaky. That's why I was interested in trying this Instant Bronze because you can see the color as you're applying it so you can see if it's gone on evenly.

I've only used the Au Courant Instant Tanning Lotion and I believe the sponge applicator is most definitely the best way to apply the self tanner. I've tried using my hands, and it just doesn't work well that way for some reason.

Hi Katie,

Actually, I think the article you were referring to was in the May issue of Shape. You are right they rated different tanners in several categories. The best all-around for body was Estee Lauder Sunless SuperTan Spray. The Neutrogena Instant Bronze was rated best tinted tanner. The article I mentioned in Shape magazine is their 2002 Healthy Beauty Awards where they only rated one tanner.

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Apr-20-02 AT 10:01AM (Est)[/font][p]I always use sunless tanners and have had great luck. Check out http://www.sunless.com - great site with loads of info.

Make sure you exfoliate well beforehand! A lot of streaks happen this way. I use a washcloth. Another tip is to use rubber gloves so you don't streak your hands. Also, the first time you do it, you might want to let a thin layer of moisturizer sink in so it goes on more evenly. Won't be as dark, but gives a nice base.

Jgoycoolea - I shave my legs every morning, some comes off but not a lot - looks fine.

I use Target brand sunless tanner in soft/medium for my legs/body. I use Paula's Choice http://www.cosmeticcop.com for my face - doesn't clog my pores, decent color plus indicator.

I also like Banana Boat Sunless Creme.

Hope this helps,
Holly

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.