Sun rash

Mariposa1973

Cathlete
Hi, I need some advice please, every time I'm take sun for 30 min, I get rash and itchy on my body, I have this for 3 years now, my sun cream is 50 or more.Thank you for your time

Hi Mariposa,
This happens to my sister in law, and she has a sun allergy. There is a special type of sunscreen that she uses that is more effective than the higher SPF brands, but I would probably recommend that you go see a dermatologist to see what they say. I can share that she is able to manage this by limiting her sun exposure, and by using the sunscreen that works best. But a dermatologist was her first stop, as I believe there are a few things that can cause this to happen, but you have to know what might be causing it to find the best treatment.

I hope you find something that works for you...
Eva

Its not lupus is it? There are lots of reasons we become photo sensitive (light). I am sensitive because of my medication. Some herbs can make you sensitive.

Hi Mariposa,
This happens to my sister in law, and she has a sun allergy. There is a special type of sunscreen that she uses that is more effective than the higher SPF brands, but I would probably recommend that you go see a dermatologist to see what they say. I can share that she is able to manage this by limiting her sun exposure, and by using the sunscreen that works best. But a dermatologist was her first stop, as I believe there are a few things that can cause this to happen, but you have to know what might be causing it to find the best treatment.

I hope you find something that works for you...
Eva

Please if you can give me any information I appreciate.

I get severe skin reactions from the sun on my chest & neck, but ONLY when I visit the Caribbean :confused:. I have been there about 10X, and it happens EVERY.SINGLE.TIME -- no matter what sunscreen I use. It's actually very torturous because it's so damn itchy :mad:. The only thing I could do was stay out of direct sunlight as much as possible (bummer when you are at tropical resort :(). Also, I found that if I went in the water and then was exposed to direct sunlight, I would almost instantly get the reaction (the same would happen if I got extremely sweaty). So, not only did I have to avoid sun, but I had ensure there was no moisture on my skin that would aggravate the reaction, making it worse. BTW, I don't get this reaction where I live (Canada) even in the hottest temps and without sunscreen.

HTH!

Natasha

I'm another one with a sun allergy. It usually only flares up in the spring, when I get small (terribly itchy) bumps on the backs of my hands and up my forearms. They go away after a few weeks and then I don't seem to have any more problems, but I've also learned to limit my sun exposure and use sunscreen (but nothing helps those spring bumps, though...that's a given). This year I didn't get them on my hands, though...I got them on my chest like Natasha. Not sure why it switched, especially since I live in the very untropical Midwest. :)

I just saw my dermo today.i have had basil cells on my face and head-light skin
she gave me samples of CeraVe to put on the face when I go to the beach.It can be bought at Target.

Laura

Mariposa,
The sunscreen my SIL uses is Ombrelle (with Mexoryl). She said she has to order it online.

I hope this helps!!
Eva

The same thing has been happening to me since I was in high school (and that was a LOOOONG time ago!). I would only get at the beach, no matter how much sunscreen I used or what little time I spent in the sun. I just wanted to be able to take a walk on the beach or play frisbee with the dog without breaking out in a rash; just a few minutes out from under the umbrella would cause it.

I went to several dermatologists: one gave me some nasty stuff to put on the rash (I wanted to keep the rash from happening!) and another just handed me sunscreen samples and told me to limit my time in the sun (!!!! I was already doing that!), until I finally found one who took me seriously. He knew exactly what it was and what to give me to prevent it: Polymorphous light eruption Sun Allergy (Photosensitivity) Guide: Causes, Symptoms and Treatment Options

He prescribed a drug that is used as a malaria preventative! I talked to my GP about it, and he was concerned about the side-effects, so he gave me a safer drug, Chloroquine PH. I only use it for the week that we go to the beach, and I can actually get out from under the umbrella with my SPF 50 and enjoy my vacation!!!

Good luck with it....I know, it is a real pain.

OMG! Thank you for sharing this. I have been breaking out every May for the past 2 years and could not figure out why. The dermatologist told me it was just eczema and prescribed some oil that did not work, and I thought I was having an allergic reaction to the fruit I had been eating.

After reading the symptoms and everyone's experiences, I now know what it is. I religiously wear sunscreen on my face year round, but will start slathering it on my arms as well.

A million and one thank yous to you all. :)

The same thing has been happening to me since I was in high school (and that was a LOOOONG time ago!). I would only get at the beach, no matter how much sunscreen I used or what little time I spent in the sun. I just wanted to be able to take a walk on the beach or play frisbee with the dog without breaking out in a rash; just a few minutes out from under the umbrella would cause it.

I went to several dermatologists: one gave me some nasty stuff to put on the rash (I wanted to keep the rash from happening!) and another just handed me sunscreen samples and told me to limit my time in the sun (!!!! I was already doing that!), until I finally found one who took me seriously. He knew exactly what it was and what to give me to prevent it: Polymorphous light eruption Sun Allergy (Photosensitivity) Guide: Causes, Symptoms and Treatment Options

He prescribed a drug that is used as a malaria preventative! I talked to my GP about it, and he was concerned about the side-effects, so he gave me a safer drug, Chloroquine PH. I only use it for the week that we go to the beach, and I can actually get out from under the umbrella with my SPF 50 and enjoy my vacation!!!

Good luck with it....I know, it is a real pain.

Thank you, the medicine is over the counter?

No, it's a prescription and it's taken orally. You know, the rash would get better on its own, and that was fine when I was in high school or college and had lots of time off during the summer. But, when you get older and get that one or two weeks, you don't want to spend half of it with a painful, itchy rash! Plus, we just love the beach we go to every year, and I didn't want to give it up. I was thrilled when I finally found something that worked!

I hope one of these solutions will be the answer for you!

Last edited:
No, it's a prescription and it's taken orally. You know, the rash would get better on its own, and that was fine when I was in high school or college and had lots of time off during the summer. But, when you get older and get that one or two weeks, you don't want to spend half of it with a painful, itchy rash! Plus, we just love the beach we go to every year, and I didn't want to give it up. I was thrilled when I finally found something that worked!

I hope one of these solutions will be the answer for you!

Hi tete how you doctor find out?

The dermatologist I saw was familiar with the condition and knew what to prescribe. When I asked my GP if he could fill the prescription for me, he did, but after a couple of years he said he was uncomfortable with some of the side-effects (depression, etc.), so, he researched some drugs that were similar, that he thought would work. And it did. I didn't have much concern about the side-effects since I take them for no more than one or two weeks out of the year.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.