Summer reading

Nancy, I have to second the recommendation for Straight Man by Richard Russo. That is one of my all-time favorite books.

TeTe, I read Eat, Pray, Love and found her kind of whiny, too. I'm going to read the guy's version--I hope my library has it!

This is a great thread, thanks for starting it, Nancy.

anne

Nancy, I have to second the recommendation for Straight Man by Richard Russo. That is one of my all-time favorite books.

TeTe, I read Eat, Pray, Love and found her kind of whiny, too. I'm going to read the guy's version--I hope my library has it!

This is a great thread, thanks for starting it, Nancy.

anne

I third - Straight Man, by Richard Russo. I laughed so hard and couldn't stop reading to do anything else.

And also - Tree Grows in Brooklyn - what a wonderful story.

Oh - and David Sedaris.

Light and fluffly would be Janet Evanovich. I love her. Her newest release was in June. More serious would be Karin Slaughter, Lisa Gardner and Kathy Reichs. Good luck!! I've got a pile I'm currently working on. I love when the authors release their newest batch of books!

OMG!!! I just finished the new Karin Slaughter 15 minutes ago. I started it last night! It was excellent and I am SOOOOO grateful that she didn't stick to her planned on release date of another year or two!
Wasn't quite as impressed with the THE NEIGHBOR by Lisa Gardner. Won't say anymore in case you haven't read it, but I figured out who *HE* was pretty early on.
Along those lines, I've been enjoying Allison Brennan, JoAnn Ross and Joan Johnston as well. They aren't quite as graphic (for lack of a better word) in some of their crime description as Slaughter and Gardner. With that being said, they also don't twist your guts and tear at your heart as much either.
Happy Reading! :cool:

Becky

Nora Roberts is always great, or her books published under J.D. Robb.

I love anything by Laurell Hamilton or Kim Harrison, but those are vampires. If you like True Blood, the books are really good. They are by Charlaine Harris.

Nicole, have you tried JRWard's Black Dagger Brotherhood series? Awesome vampire series! I never thought I would read those, but the Nora Robert's trilogy ending with Valley of Silence got me hooked!

Becky

Janet Evanovich is absolutely hilarious also books by Sue Graton are good she does the alphabet series and they are funny to. I am currently reading a book by Allison Brennan called the hunt and it grabs you on the first page.

Love Allison Brennan! Just finished her new trilogy! CUTTING EDGE came out Tuesday! I think THE HUNT is followed by THE PREY and THE KILL. Feeling too lazy to get up and look, but I'll check soon. She writes in 3s with a loose tie in between all clusters.

Nancy,

I like to read in order as well. There is also the Iris Johansen series with Eve Duncan. She is a forensic sculptor. I am into a "cozy mystery" phase so can't offer any help with intellectual books!

Carrie

Must agree with this recommendation as well! :D

OMG!!! I just finished the new Karin Slaughter 15 minutes ago. I started it last night! It was excellent and I am SOOOOO grateful that she didn't stick to her planned on release date of another year or two!
Wasn't quite as impressed with the THE NEIGHBOR by Lisa Gardner. Won't say anymore in case you haven't read it, but I figured out who *HE* was pretty early on.
Along those lines, I've been enjoying Allison Brennan, JoAnn Ross and Joan Johnston as well. They aren't quite as graphic (for lack of a better word) in some of their crime description as Slaughter and Gardner. With that being said, they also don't twist your guts and tear at your heart as much either.
Happy Reading! :cool:

Becky

Becky,

I haven't read my Karin Slaughter yet!! She is fantastic! Love her!! Her Grant County books are wonderful. I'm going on a cruise in 2 weeks... saving her for the ship! :D

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.