Summer reading

nancy324

Cathlete
I'm getting ready to go on a relaxing vacation and need some beach/poolside reading. I saw the other book thread below, but I want to stick to relatively recent releases and the current, modern-day world. Light and fluffy offerings are definitely a possibility, but I also love mysteries and biographies. Any ideas? It doesn't matter if the book is in hardcover or paperback. Thanks!

Example of a book I'm considering: The Finder by Colin Harrison. Has anyone here read it?

Last edited:
Light and fluffly would be Janet Evanovich. I love her. Her newest release was in June. More serious would be Karin Slaughter, Lisa Gardner and Kathy Reichs. Good luck!! I've got a pile I'm currently working on. I love when the authors release their newest batch of books!

I've fallen in love with Jefferson Bass. It's two guys, one being the creator of the Body Farm in Tennessee, who write fiction forensic science novels. They are very good if you like mystery, Kathy Reich-type novels.

Nancy~ I just got back from a very relaxing 2 weeks on the beach myself (Outer Banks, NC). I read Everyone Worth Knowing by Lauren Weisberger (author of The Devil Wears Prada). I really liked it as fluff reading. It was funny and not deep, intellectual reading at all!!

I am in the middle of The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows. My sister read it in NC and loved it. I am not into it enough yet to give an homest opinion, but I am still reading it, so that means something!!

I am looking forward to the replies you receive, since we are all always looking for great book recommendations! :)

Have a safe, enjoyable trip!

Jenn

I second a PP with Janet Evanovich. Her Stephanie Plum series is GREAT. Also, many of the books are available as MP3 downloads...from Amazon or your local library! There are 15 books in that series, with the 15th being the June release (Finger Lickin' Fifteen).

Carrie

Thanks, Jenn. Sounds interesting. Carrie, I did read the very first Plum mystery, and thought it was pretty good. Maybe I'll read the second one (I like to go in order).

I'm off to check out all the suggestions.

Nancy,

I like to read in order as well. There is also the Iris Johansen series with Eve Duncan. She is a forensic sculptor. I am into a "cozy mystery" phase so can't offer any help with intellectual books!

Carrie

Nancy - How about some stuff along the lines of David Sedaris or Amy Vowell? They're more along the lines of memoirish, dark comedy (depending).

If you are looking for pure fluff - Sophie Kinsella's Remember Me? is a delight! I just read that on my summer vacation and it was really enjoyable!

Janet Evanovich is absolutely hilarious also books by Sue Graton are good she does the alphabet series and they are funny to. I am currently reading a book by Allison Brennan called the hunt and it grabs you on the first page.

Nancy, it's not new, but you owe it to yourself to read (if you haven't already) A Confederacy of Dunces. It is one of the funniest books EVER!! Great vacation book, but if you read it in front of people, they'll think you're nuts for laughing so hard!

And, of course, you need to read (or re-read) A Tree Grows in Brooklyn so that you can sit with Beavs and me, in that boho coffee shop in the Village, and discuss it!!!;)

I can't believe I never read A Tree Grows In Brooklyn. Maybe I just thought it would hit too close to home? Anyway, I've made up my mind. I'm going to read that one. And yes, I would be happy to discuss it with with you both in a funky downtown coffee shop, or anywhere else you choose. :D

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn is now on my Kindle!

Last edited:
Oh Nancy, you should check out some of Bill Fitzhugh's books. He is absolutely hilarious! They're kind of political but very light humor. Organ Grinders is my favorite--it's commentary about our health care system, it has some of the funniest characters ever. Orange Crush is very funny too, it's about a presidential campaign traveling across the country (Orange Crush was the name of their bus b/c it was donated from the soda co.)--I'll never forget this one scene where vegans & vegetarians had a rally, got in a fight w/each other, but nobody got hurt b/c they were all too weak to throw a decent punch. :D

Darn, I need to get over to Amazon to get his latest in paperback. ;)

Ah, he has a page there: http://www.amazon.com/Bill-Fitzhugh/e/B000APR80A/ref=ep_sprkl_at_B000APR80A?pf_rd_p=479564851&pf_rd_s=auto-sparkle&pf_rd_t=301&pf_rd_i=bill%20fitzhugh&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=01HD4H68Z7HCVGY68ZHC

Last edited:
Nancy, they're not heavy and not exactly light and fluffy, but Penny Vincenzi's novels are wonderful. Most are sagas. She's a British author and I love the way she writes. My favorite of hers is Something Dangerous ... it's the first in a trilogy about a family. The first novel begins during World War I and really tells how women had to fill the men's shoes when they went off to war and when they returned, they were expected to return to their "roles" as women and how they had all changed... Very very very good. It's a "strong women" book, which I love.

Nancy, do you like wacky or zany reads? If so, check out Carl Hiaasen or Christopher Moore. They're both write hilarious, easy to read, fun books.

I also recommend Elinor Lipman. She writes female focused stuff (read: chick lit, but I hate that term), it's very light, but well done.

Janet Evanovich is great, too.

And I'm so happy you're going to read A Tree Grows in Brooklyn! I had never read it either, but picked it up in paperback recently and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Have fun on your trip!

anne

Hey Nancy, someone else mentioned and I will second Tne Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. I just finished, and loved, The Help. Any thing by Evanovich is a hoot and a half. I just started The Girls from Ames and it seems very promising.

Hi,

Absolutely have to read The Help. It is one of the best books I have read in a long time.

Robin: The Girls From Ames ...reminded me of another group...

Nancy, do you like wacky or zany reads? If so, check out Carl Hiaasen or Christopher Moore. They're both write hilarious, easy to read, fun books.

I also recommend Elinor Lipman. She writes female focused stuff (read: chick lit, but I hate that term), it's very light, but well done.

Janet Evanovich is great, too.

And I'm so happy you're going to read A Tree Grows in Brooklyn! I had never read it either, but picked it up in paperback recently and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Have fun on your trip!

anne

Thanks so much, Anne! I'm glad you liked TGIB. I will check out Lipman.

FYI, Nancy, And Carl Hiaasen was born and raised in Florida, so that should go nicely with your vay-cay!!!:)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.