suggestions for post-chemo, restarting DVDs

MichS

Cathlete
Cathe~

I'm restarting after having had a bilateral mastectomy and chemo. I ended chemo last fall but was really, really sick. At that time, I could barely make it around the block. I started out with Leslie Sansone walking and can now manage some classes at the gym.

Ages ago I was a Cathe-addict... I had the early Cathe VHS tapes (including the Wedding tape!). MIS and MIC were my favorites! I love, love, loved CTX and had your 1st kickboxing DVD (was it cardiokicks?). For whatever reason, I fell away from in-home exercising (young kids and big career) and SASE'd all of these at videofitness.

Frankly, I've been afraid to return to Cathe! LOL! Intimidated! Plus, wow... all of these new "systems"... I'm lost.

In a whim, I bought Basic Step and Body Fusion. Loved it! I could do ALL of the stepping! Whoo-hoo! MOST of the lower body, and some of the upper body stuff (lots of scar tissue will make this slow). I'm hooked again!

So, where do I go from here? I don't even know where to start! I need a mini-rotation (light on the upper body).

Suggestions?
Thanks!
Michele

PS. I weigh less than 110# (5'0") and have a BMI of 20.5. My goal is a BMI of 19 for prevention of cancer-recurrance.

Last edited:
Cathe~

I'm restarting after having had a bilateral mastectomy and chemo. I ended chemo last fall but was really, really sick. At that time, I could barely make it around the block. I started out with Leslie Sansone walking and can now manage some classes at the gym.

Ages ago I was a Cathe-addict... I had the early Cathe VHS tapes (including the Wedding tape!). MIS and MIC were my favorites! I love, love, loved CTX and had your 1st kickboxing DVD (was it cardiokicks?). For whatever reason, I fell away from in-home exercising (young kids and big career) and SASE'd all of these at videofitness.

Frankly, I've been afraid to return to Cathe! LOL! Intimidated! Plus, wow... all of these new "systems"... I'm lost.

In a whim, I bought Basic Step and Body Fusion. Loved it! I could do ALL of the stepping! Whoo-hoo! MOST of the lower body, and some of the upper body stuff (lots of scar tissue will make this slow). I'm hooked again!

So, where do I go from here? I don't even know where to start! I need a mini-rotation (light on the upper body).

Suggestions?
Thanks!
Michele

PS. I weigh less than 110# (5'0") and have a BMI of 20.5. My goal is a BMI of 19 for prevention of cancer-recurrance.

Michele, not Cathe here, but I thought I'd post the link to her Beginner Rotation to give you a start; you may have to get more DVDs:

http://www.thecathenation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=236223

In addition to that rotation, and if you are in the market to get yet more DVDs, I'd consider getting Low Max from the Hard Core series (an entirely low-impact step routine that has mid-range cardio segments interspersed with higher-intensity blast segments), and Kick Punch / Crunch + Legs & Glutes from the Body Blast Series. I suggest KPC / LG more for the leg routine than the KPC routine at this point, because the KPC routine does include punching drills that might not suit you immediately for upper body work. That said, I think these would be fun and productive workouts for you to evolve to once you've gotten unified with the beginner rotation. I do hope you will be able to bring back upper body training into the mix in the not-too-distant future.

HTH! And I'm glad you're on the mend! Keep coming back and keep us posted on your progress!

A-Jock

Welcome back Michele! Yeah to completing chemo! I know you were asking Cathe the question, but I thought I would chime in here and hope she doesn't mind. I was diagnosed with fallopian tube cancer in Feb 09, had surgery, 6 rounds of Taxol and Carboplatin and am now going through a year of monthly Taxol as a preventative. I am now in remission and will be through in July.
Anyway, when I was able to start back with Cathe, I did quite a few of the shorter premixes: C&W step only, MM (upper body only or lower body only), SS/PP, IMAX2 1-5 (without the blasts),etc. I just love Cathe's workouts so much that I chose to modify them to my ability rather than choose another beginner or intermediate level instructor. Hope this helps you.

Best of luck!
Gin:)

Gin~ Thanks for your story! I'm glad you were able to continue with Cathe. I could barely make it to the mailbox so I had to start slooooowww. Feeling beter now though!

Annette~Love the beginner rotation. Looks like I'm in the market for a few more dvds!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.