Substitutions for Pushups???

princessbear

Cathlete
As I PONDER the day I can start weight training again after rotator cuff surgery, I recognize the need to modify alot of exercises for the next 6-9 months. The THOUGHT of doing STS again just has me befuddled when I think of all those pushups (especially Meso 1) that I will not be able to do for quite some time. Have any of you substituted another exercise for pushups and, if so, what are they? If not, any suggestions before I go to Cathe herself? Thanks!

I'm curious about this also. I have been doing chest presses with a barbell and whatever added weight allows me to do the same number of reps as Cathe does push-ups while following the same count. Although I know that they don't work exactly the same muscles in exactly the same way, I couldn't think of another substitution.

Last edited:
Same here, I do bench press, flies and/or incline bench depending on what Cathe's doing.
I'll go incline if Cathe is doing decline pushups to focus on the shoulders and upper chest more.

Hi Mary, I had rotator cuff surgery May 19th, '09. Full tear supraspunatus, bone spur removed, torn labrum and frozen shoulder following surgery. My shoulder was shredded and very inflammed. I had to have two MRI's for a correct diagnosis.
It has been a journey in patience and perseverance for me. I was cleared by my PT last August to start working out again with little or no weight and I used the 3 month STS for my rehab with 3 miles walk/runs for cardio.
I did the "kiss the floor" motion for push ups for a long time along with wall push ups from rehab. Again I did these only when my PT said it was ok. When stronger I went on to the knees and now 8 months later full push ups for 75-80% of my second round of STS.
I tend to push too hard (patience problem) but I did get better by really working my rehab and adding in Cathe when I was cleared to do so.
If you want to PM me and we can share "rotator cuff" war stories.
Colleen

Thanks for this thread and all your answers. I've been suffering from a frozen shoulder for about 10 months now. It's not as painful as it was a few months ago (it was AWFUL!), but, alas, it's still "frozen," so I have very limited range of motion. I've been doing "wall" push-ups, and I can to chest presses. My real issue is not being able to do tricep dips and any over the head weight moves--I'm getting "batwings" and I hate it!:eek:

Thanks for all the advice, and I hope everyone's shoulder issues are healed soon!

If you have the range of motion for "flyes" and a resistance band....hook the band to something behind you and do "standing flyes with band". You'll still recruit most of the same muscles of a pushup but not have all the load on the shoulders...You can also do standing chest presses with the band too. Just make sure you are far enough away from where you band is hooked to in order to feel the burn in your chest from the resistance!:) I also second wall pushups and as you move closer to doing pushups on the floor, try kneeling pushups with hands on a coffee table or step as kind of a incline pushup...that will help you transfer slowly down towards the floor.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.