substitute for soy milk?

Fach

Cathlete
I drink soy milk and wanted to trim some of the fat from my diet. Does anyone have a non animal based substitute that is lower fat? I believe regular soy milk is equivallent to 2% fat milk.

Does it have a lot of benefits like soy milk? Also, wouldn't it be high in carbs? I don't cut out carbs, but don't want to add more to my diet if possible.

I think that 8th Continent has a fat free soy milk out. I'm pretty sure of it. Maybe you could try that. Otherwise, I'm going to be a smart A@! here and say Cows milk, skim of course. But I was kidding, obviously you either don't like it, or are vegan or lactos in tolerent.
I've tried rice milk, it's not bad. But if you prefer the soy milk flavor, try 8th continet fat free.

Kathy

OOOOOh, had me sold until I read that it had splenda. I try to avoid chemicals whenever possible. Plus for some reason splenda makes me ill. saccrine [sp?] does the same.

8th continent does indeed carry a "lite" and a "free".. My area only carries the light version but I love it so its worth a few extra calories to me... I keep looking for the free tho

I know that the 8th Continent "Lite" has Splenda in it, but the "Fat Free" does not (go figure!).
Also, Silk Soy milk makes a "Light" as do most brands of soy milk. Might be worth a try:)
Mattea

I have been drinking Silk for a long time. I really love the taste. I recently tried the light Silk but can't stand the taste. Thought maybe something else might be worth a try. Thanks for all the feedback everyone!

If you are concerned about avoiding animal products, I think that 8th continent might contain D3 (a form of vitamin D that is from an animal source: "D3 is not for me"). Other soy milks contain D2, which in non-animal based ("D2 for me and you").

There are some 'light' soy milks, which are basically soy with water added.

As for substitutes that are as nutritious as soy, I'd have to say make your own almond milk (soak raw almonds 6-8 hours, then drain and rinse, then put about 1 cup almonds and 2 cups water in a good blender and blend to liquify, and strain through cheese cloth), or hemp milk (blend hemp seeds with water and strain). Hemp would be the most nutritious choice.

>I usually use
>almond milk (the vanilla flavor) but you would have to check
>out the label to see if it fits with your nutritional
>requirements.

That stuff is the best! The only reason I rarely buy is because it tastes so darn good I want to drink it all. The one I buy (I don't remember the brand right now) is enriched (with calcium, vit D, etc.), however it doesn't have the protein content of soy milk.

Hemp Milk! I have a hard enough time getting through my workout! I might just spend my mornings eating Cheetos on the sofa and watching Jerry Springer LOL :+

Thanks for the in put. Maybe since I like my Silk soy milk and don't like the light version I should just water it down. I hadn't thought of that. It is thick enough.....

I'm not sure if it's lower in fat than soy, but have you looked into almond milk? I was a fan of soy for a while, but I found I really liked the taste of almond.

cristina

i use 8th continent low fat soy...

yes... they have a fat free version....

-------------
cute work out clothes are good for AT LEAST an additional 10-15 calories burned!

>Hemp Milk! I have a hard enough time getting through my
>workout! I might just spend my mornings eating Cheetos on the
>sofa and watching Jerry Springer LOL :+

Hemp doesn't have the amount of TCH necessary to put you in that condition. And hemp milk would probably be the most nutritious sub for soy milk, with an excellent, highly assimilable, type of protein.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.