STS TRAINING

Cre'

Cathlete
Hi Cathe,

This is my second time around doing the STS Program, I was planning on doing it again for 3 months, however, I think I am going to go for 6 months. In doing so, what is the suggested break time before starting the next 3 months?

Thanks!

Cre'

Hi Cre',

You can go to your Workout Manager Calendar and download the "official" STS 6.5 month rotation. The original version has you starting with Meso 1, Week 1 for your first week. Then it has you repeating the Meso 1, Week 1 discs for your second week. For your third week, you follow the Meso 1, Week 2 discs. For your fourth week, you follow the Meso 1, Week 2 discs again...and so on. Then, after 8 weeks of repeating each week of Meso 1, you take your week long active rest before following the same pattern with Meso 2 for 8 weeks. Etc.

The other variation I've seen is just following the program through as outlined--e.g., week 1 = Meso 1, Week 1 discs; week 2 = Meso 1, Week 2 discs, etc--until you've completed all 4 weeks of Meso 1. Then you take an active recovery week. At that point, you can either choose to repeat Meso 1 (in a 4 week timetable) OR you can move on to Meso 2 (completing it in 4 weeks). So, in other words, your rotation could look as follows:

Meso 1 (4 weeks)
-active rest week
Meso 1 (4 weeks)
-active rest week
Meso 2 (4 weeks)
-active rest week
Meso 2 (4 weeks)
-active rest week
Meso 3 (4 weeks)
-active rest week
Meso 3 (4 weeks)
-active rest week

OR

Meso 1 (4 weeks)
-active rest week
Meso 2 (4 weeks)
-active rest week
Meso 3 (4 weeks)
-active rest week
Meso 1 (4 weeks)
-active rest week
Meso 2 (4 weeks)
-active rest week
Meso 3 (4 weeks)
-active rest week

Another fun thing to do is to "pyramid" the mesos by doing the following: Meso 1 (4 weeks) + Meso 2 (4 weeks) + Meso 3 (4 weeks) + Meso 2 (4 weeks) + Meso 1 (4 weeks)...of course, being sure to insert your active recovery week after each Meso.

Hope this all makes sense! The STS program is perfect as written but also so much fun to tweak and play with to keep it fresh! Plus, just figure out how much time/how many months you want to devote to STS because some of these rotations are longer than others...

Happy sweating. ;)

Lisa

hi cre.
I've done 2 of the rotations Lisa suggested - the 'official 6 1/2 month', and pyramid. The 6 1/2 was a great place for me to start sts, as I had a chance to adjust my weights to suit each workout. I also did sts pyramid style, doing meso 1,2,3,3,2,1. I've got to say that meso3, got a bit tedious though!
currently I'm doing a straightforward 1,2,3 but extending meso 2 to 6 weeks.
whatever you choose, I hope you enjoy it x

In doing so, what is the suggested break time before starting the next 3 months?

Hello,

Just to reply to your question:)

Give yourself 4 weeks of no heavy lift to give your body time to recover.
Recovery is important;);). lifting is about stressing and recovering muscles.

4 weeks of various activities. I suggest you do not embark on any long cardio
cause it could reverse the result you have worked hard for. No one want to
breakdown muscles worked hard for. swimming, walking, yoga, body weight training,
sprinting once a week, TRX class, dancing etc....

Enjoy your program:):)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.