STS Squat Rack (plus a couple tangential rants)

Great question Roz...Flat sneaks are what is recommended for heavy weight load workout.
Here is cathe's thought on this topic:

http://cathe.com/type-workout-shoes-best-weight-training
I can recall reading an article on old school weight lifting. Some were venturing lifting bare foot lol.
I have just bought a pair of flat sneaks similar to converse. That pair is going to used just for lifting really heavy STS mainly:p:cool::cool:
It is the best way of planting the foot adhering the floor and push through heel. :cool::eek::eek:
Nathalie, I wear Converse to lift, too. I saw photos of female powerlifters wearing them, so I figured, if Chucks are good enough for them, they're good enough for me!
Now I've got to get some of those knee-high socks to complete the look! ;)

Today I just HAD to do Afterburn. And I was right - I find it hard.
Justine, I agree... AB is really one of the toughest of all Cathe's cardio or metabolic workouts. I consider myself to be in very good cardio condition, but AB winds me like none other. I drop a final rep or two from a few moves because I'm breathing so hard!

I agree on core work -- I like to include some oblique work, especially the weighted standing stuff, but I also get great twisting core work from kickbox/boxing with gloves. Actually, I find the more I do it, the more I can activate my core in kickbox workouts.
The 9-minute bonus core from Crossfire is awesome, IMO! Definitely the kind of core work I enjoy, and it's quick!

I've been getting core ideas from Girls Gone Strong -- have been incorporating Turkish Get Ups a couple times a week. They have a few great articles on core exercises (none of which include crunches). Heavy carries, TGUs, etc.

I'm going to add this here, I just don't want to start another thread. I have one more week of RWH two month rotation. Not much muscle gained, but leaned out a lot. Definition big time. I think I'm going to start Nia Shanks, "Beautiful Badass" next. Mix it with some Jen Senkler, and some Cathe. Last time I did "Beautiful Badass" I made great muscle gains.

By the way, I wear Vibram Fivefingers, when I lift. I love those shoes, so comfortable.

Sorry if I hijacked your thread.

Last edited:
I don't have a weighted vest, but I don't lift more than a ~70 lb BB overhead. I'd dislocate my shoulder even before I got it high enough to crush my skull! ;) To load the up heavier than 70 lbs, I place the BB up on the squat rack and only then do I load on the plates. I don't try to hoist the heavily loaded bar up onto the squat rack catches (or whatever they're called...).

I do not take the risk, at least without being spotted by a competent buddy, of lifting an over 70 lbs barbell.
I have a weighted vest and a squat rack therefore use both to minimise risks.

I do use weighted vest on squat rack to perform deadlift, lunges and squat.

Me and You don't usually disagree. Greg is fine:D:D. He is a good distraction ;-). I am happy to embrace the
challenge of lifting keeping the focus despite being distracted:):). Al is also a good one.

Yes Greg is VERY easy on the eyes and he is the perfect distraction. I thought he had great form and energy on STS Total Body. As for Al I really enjoy his enthusiasm and the fact that he takes the workouts very seriously. He's huffing and puffing away along with the rest of the crew.

I know there are a few that want Cathe to eliminate the guys. However, putting all jokes aside about my "Greg" crush I really hope Cathe continues featuring more men in her current releases. I think having Cathe appeal to a broader audience would be awesome for her. I'm all for new people discovering the enjoyment, benefits and results that can be ascertained from a Cathe workout. I also think it's great to see Cathe producing hard core workouts that can really kick the men's butts too! I'm willing to bet that some of the hard core P90xers who otherwise wouldn't even give the time of day to a female led workout would be utterly amazed with STS and some of Cathe's other workouts. I bet if they tried STS they wouldn't even go back to P90x, lol.

I'm going to add this here, I just don't want to start another thread. I have one more week of RWH two month rotation. Not much muscle gained, but leaned out a lot. Definition big time. I think I'm going to start Nia Shanks, "Beautiful Badass" next. Mix it with some Jen Sinkler, and some Cathe. Last time I did "Beautiful Badass" I made great muscle gains.

By the way, I wear Vibram Fivefingers, when I lift. I love those shoes, so comfortable.

Sorry if I hijacked your thread.
Is it even hijacking if it's welcome? Hijack my thread any day!

Looks like I have some research to do, because I don't know Nia Shanks or Jen Sinkler. Are they DVD programs?
My strength training needs a kick in the pants. I feel like I'm 'chasing the white dragon' of DOMS... (Is that the right metaphor for opium addicts who can't get high like they used to?)

Yes, that's perfect, chasing the dragon. No they are not DVD's. They are each a download. However they both have many workouts to mix and match. Jen's download is; "Lift Weights Faster." Mostly metabolic workouts. Nia's workouts are all weights. I'm at my computer now, I can add more information. Nia does not do body part workouts. her workouts are squats, deadlifts, front squats etc. Big muscles, with very heavy weights. (compound moves) I did one of her programs a year or so ago. Great muscle gains. Her point, when you work the big muscles with heavy weights, you're getting the smaller muscles, and abs as well. Her program is "Beautiful Badass." Hope this helps.

Karen

Last edited:
love the metaphor, roz! It's exactly what's happening to me.. Can't get DOMS like I used to.
I'd be tempted to try a girls gone strong, nia shanks or a Jen sinkler...but I'm not so sure about no dvd. I might feel lonely? Ok, so that may sound a bit weird, but I spend a lot if time on my own (no office job), or with my animals, so I rather like hearing cathe's chatter!
Karen - great that you got good results from rwh. My results were improved fitness. No leaning out , but I guess the time of year didn't help, diet-wise.

[QUOTE="Justinef, post:
I'd be tempted to try a girls gone strong, nia shanks or a Jen sinkler...but I'm not so sure about no dvd. I might feel lonely? Ok, so that may sound a bit weird, but I spend a lot if time on my own (no office job), or with my animals, so I rather like hearing cathe's chatter!
Karen - great that you got good results from rwh. My results were improved fitness. No leaning out , but I guess the time of year didn't help, diet-wise.[/QUOTE]

Awww...I would too. In fact I do. I wish I had a lucky compagnon to share my lifestyle with:oops:
Love hearing Cathe...could not have loved her any other way! I love when cathe gets witty
in burning times such as crazy 8 with barbell:rolleyes::rolleyes:o_O

Last edited:
I hear you, Nathalie and Justine!
As a stay-at-home mom, I enjoy my time exchanging high-fives with my pals Cathe, Brenda, and Deazie!
That said, I've been more and more wanting to go at my own pace when I use heavy weights. And sometimes, pausing the DVD allows me to focus inwardly/on form more.
I'm pretty eager to try the GGS program. My impression is, like the Nia Shanks program Karen described (thanks for the info, Karen!), they do (or at least mainly do) heavy lifts using large muscle groups, and just hit the smaller muscles and abs obliquely (heh).
Now, we're pretty much snowbound these days, and with my daughter being so little and the ground so awfully icy and the temperatures so unthinkably low, there's really no outdoor time. So lifting DVDs and some indoor cardio DVDs are keeping me sane. But once we get some thaw, I hope to try GGS and cut cardio to daily leisurely outdoor walks (OK, maybe I'll do a Live cardio once a week... ;) ). Obviously this is good for muscle building, but I think it's what my body needs to be healthier, too.
So, yeah! Definitely understood.

I'm willing to bet that some of the hard core P90xers who otherwise wouldn't even give the time of day to a female led workout would be utterly amazed with STS and some of Cathe's other workouts. I bet if they tried STS they wouldn't even go back to P90x, lol.

Wow what timing on this!! I have a male friend whom I gave RWH to a couple of months ago who was a die hard P90x devotee. Overtime in the past when we talked workouts that is all he did. Well, after a couple of weeks of RWH he told me Cathe could kick Tony Horton's a**.

I told him definitely!!

Kathy

Hi amazing, strong Cathletes,

So I guess I'm saying, Cathe, good on ya for including women on different shapes, sizes and colors in your workouts without making it into some big statement, or worse, speaking differently to different women based on these factors.

Roz

This.

I hear what you all are saying. I like hearing Cathe's voice too. But sometimes after a long day at work, I just want to go at my own pace, with my own thoughts, or jamming to my own music. Before Cathe came along, (Too many years ago to mention) I made my own lifting workouts. What body part I was going to work, and what exercises for that particular body part. It's familiar to me, and I don't mind it at all.

But sometimes after a long day at work, I just want to go at my own pace, with my own thoughts, or jamming to my own music.
Totally. I'm psyched to start a non-DVD lifting program in a month or so, when the winter breaks a bit and we can get outside.
While I'm all about the benefits of lifting including strength, improved appearance, bone health (and general health), not having a messed up back from constantly bending over a crib because I know how to deadlift, etc., I think ultimately I'm drawn to lifting as a solo meditative practice. It's my time to clear my mind and just move.

STS meso#2 started today (yeah, much more to my liking than meso#1). The breaks between sets increased to 60-90 secs, so, inspired by Roz, I decided to do something with the rests. Cardio would have been a bit much (those pull-ups exhaust me), so I did foam-rolling. It's something I mean to do, but never seem to fit in. It was perfect! I'm really enjoying the rotation I'm currently doing.

Enjoy Meso2 justine :p:pMy favourite cycle too.
I am intrigued how you ladies manage to :pinsert anything during meso2. May be meso 3 but
somehow with my weight selection I truly keep my heart rate pretty high during those triset from meso2.

Foam rolling is a brilliant idea justine:):)
oh please,don't make me stray from current rotation, joking ;-)

I agree with both of you -- no way could I add cardio between Meso 2 sets. I think foam rolling is a fabulous idea!
Honestly, the Meso 2 UB workouts really leave me pretty tuckered out. I usually don't feel like doing cardio afterwards. Maybe 10 mins of cardio, but a 30 min HiiT after one of those 70-min Meso 2 UB workouts? No way. Not gonna happen.

This week I've been doing Slow & Heavy one body part per day and am LOVING it. It's amazing for muscle activation. I did chest yesterday and today I'm feeling those glacially slow incline flys with wrists angled in. Back was today. I too often use some momentum for dumbbell rows, and it was great to take all that out. And the s-l-o-w deadlifts really helped me think/move through low back, glutes, and hams.
Sometimes I'll add a little cardio or yoga later in the day, sometimes not. Only if I feel like it. After only 20-30 mins of S&H, I feel like I've really accomplished something.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.