STS or LIS, or something else?

tricia

Cathlete
Hi Cathe,

I have recently renewed my commitment to myself after a 1 1/2 yr (!) hiatus (of doing no real working out) - Prior to that I did STS while getting in shape for my sister's wedding. After the wedding, I lost my focus - no real goal to shoot for, you know?
One thing I noticed was that although I got myself into incredible shape, I bulked up instead of becoming slim and trim. I realize that's partly just my body type - but I'd like to lose some excess weight and go down about 2 sizes in clothing. With that said, I am just not sure of a rotation/workout series to use to achieve my goals. I loved the way STS made me feel - I just don't want to bulk up. (I really took the 1RM to heart, btw, and lifted as heavy as I could.)

I'm wondering what a good rotation would be and I'm wondering if you would recommend your recent LIS rotation for what I am trying to do? Or perhaps something else, like the STS cardio/total body rotation I've seen posted.
I am hoping to slim down (cardio, cardio, cardio!) as well as tone overall, especially in my arms and midsection. My legs especially tend to bulk, so I want to minimize that. I'm just not sure if doing something like Butts and Guts is more or less beneficial for my body type?

I would love the input of anyone here - as Cathe says, you're an educated crowd! (And I know eating well is a huge component, my DH has that covered!)

PS - I have a few new target dates for this year to use as incentive: Family getting together at Easter, hopefully a beach vacation in late July, and in October - my 40th birthday!! Would love to look better than I ever have on that day. :D

You and I share the same body type! I love heavy weights, but I tend to bulk very easily. I have had WONDERFUL results with LIS...like, losing three inches and five pounds in my first rotation. Awesome. My whole body got tighter and slimmer- everywhere shaped up so nicely. The LIS series has really taught me a lot about how great this training is for my body type. I highly recommend getting it!! Butts and Guts is another one that I respond to well. Both these programs really slimmed my legs, arms and midsection.
I've done the straight LIS rotation twice, and I'm entering my second month of the STS/LIS three month rotation. I'm really responding well with the three month rotation, and I think it's because of jumping around with the STS workouts, not staying with just one mesocycle at a time. Both rotations are great, but IMO it doesn't get any better than the three month rotation. :) Fabulous!

Last edited:
Is the STS/LIS rotation on the Rotation forum?

HI,

I appreciate you posting so much, it's always nice to hear from someone who's had success and can relate to the same issues as I have. I'd love to look at the 3 month rotation - I'm doing Jillian Michaels' Ripped in 30 right now and I'm halfway through week 3. I thought it would be a good way to get back into things with quick 30 minute workouts. I quickly realized that I needed more of a stretch, so I've been adding Cathe's extended stretch from STS, or one of the Stretch Max stretches. So I'm back to an hour workout each day (6 days/week) and am feeling good. Ready to tackle a Cathe rotation! I'm going to the Rotation Forum to look for this one - Thanks again for your input~I really, really appreciate it!!:D

HI,

I appreciate you posting so much, it's always nice to hear from someone who's had success and can relate to the same issues as I have. I'd love to look at the 3 month rotation - I'm doing Jillian Michaels' Ripped in 30 right now and I'm halfway through week 3. I thought it would be a good way to get back into things with quick 30 minute workouts. I quickly realized that I needed more of a stretch, so I've been adding Cathe's extended stretch from STS, or one of the Stretch Max stretches. So I'm back to an hour workout each day (6 days/week) and am feeling good. Ready to tackle a Cathe rotation! I'm going to the Rotation Forum to look for this one - Thanks again for your input~I really, really appreciate it!!:D

Hello Tricia,

I did the Nov LIS rotation & Dec Hi/Low rotation (as closely as I could) and got fabulous results. I toned my entire body nicely, was able to lose a few pant sizes and shed some lbs in the process. My lower body is very stubborn, as I am a classic pear-shape. For me, LIS was a dream come true for my body type. I was pretty shocked as to how well it responded.

You mentioned Jillian, and I love Jillian too. I was able to fit in 1 of her workouts/week in addition to Cathe's rotation. I just needed more weight training and cardio, which I felt Jillian did not provide and Cathe did. After doing strictly Jillian & Bob for 2 years (before I found Cathe) I was never able to get the results I wanted. As soon as I switched to Cathe, my body did a 360.

I cannot speak for STS. I have not purchased it (yet!!). But LIS is incredible.

Take care,

Natasha

Thanks, Natasha

It's nice to hear from someone who's done Jillian's workouts. I think she's great, but I don't think the 30 minute workout is enough for what I am trying to accomplish. But what a great way to get ready for Cathe, because she's really the only other trainer I've used who pushes and uses some crazy combinations to get things done. :)

I am going to finish out the Ripped in 30 workouts while I investigate the LIS rotations out there on the forum. Thanks for giving me more to consider - it's so nice to have some workout "homework" to do. I enjoy that the way most people enjoy shopping!

I too, have done the Jillian 30 day shred DVD's and liked them but never really saw results. I invested in the LIS series and fell in love. I can now say I am addicted. I too have seen incredible results. I am losing weight and toning. So happy with the results. I strongly beleive in Cathe and recommend the LIS series. Good Luck with your journey!:D

Another question for you Natasha - which rotation did you like better, the LIS November rotation or the December Hi/Lo Rotation? I'm torn between these two - the December one has some older dvd's mixed in, so I would know some of those workouts, but the November one is all the new ones, which I'm excited to learn. Decisions, decisions! Any input is greatly appreciated. THANKS!

Another question for you Natasha - which rotation did you like better, the LIS November rotation or the December Hi/Lo Rotation? I'm torn between these two - the December one has some older dvd's mixed in, so I would know some of those workouts, but the November one is all the new ones, which I'm excited to learn. Decisions, decisions! Any input is greatly appreciated. THANKS!

Hi there,

I preferred Dec hi/low. If you can handle high impact, go for it! Why not do both? Start out with Nov LIS so you get familiar with the w/o's and then you are ready for Dec. What I liked about Nov, was that it really shocked my body. I did not do high impact for 1 month, so my knee's took a much needed break. The moves were so new and innovative, unlike anything I had ever done. My body responded well to this type of training. I am not kidding, I dropped 1 pant size from LIS. Now, all my pants are loose in the thigh/butt area. I think I may be able to go down another pant size. Dec I was able to bring back high impact, which I loved. My heart has a special place for them. One thing, as I am certain you already know, is the eating aspect. I am not the cleanest eater out there, but I relied mostly on portion control and healthy snacks. One bad habit of mine, I don't drink enough water :eek:.

Good luck! You are gonna really love LIS! Keep us posted :)

Natasha

Sweat is Fat Crying - Love it!

Natasha - I thought I'd share with you that my 7 year old son read your line under your signature, and I could see the wheels turning.....Once he got it, he just giggled and laughed. He said "That's SO FUNNY, Mama!"

Thanks for your input, I'm going to take your suggestion and just follow these rotations as she offered them. I'll be starting the November Rotation on Friday!

Thanks again & Happy Valentine's Day!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.