STS legs issue

nclncl

Cathlete
I was wondering if anyone had this issue in meso 1 (or other mesos) with legs vids. I feel like I can't actually lift the proper weight...as in, I don't have the upper body strength yet to lift 2-30 lb dumbbells for very long or even 1 -30 lb DB (though I am having definite upper body strength gains already). If I do this, it's fine on my legs, but my shoulders are super sore after the legs workouts, and probably not a good sore. Did anyone else experience this?

I have ordered a weighted vest (goes up to 20lbs I think), but haven't received it yet. Any thoughts? I want to get good leg workouts but not at the expense of my shoulders and back. Last week I had muscle spasms in my shoulders. I have also used 2-15 lb DB for exercises where my workout card says 1-30 lbs dumbbell.

Do you have the same difficulty when you use a barbell? It might feel better since it spreads the weight across the back and shoulders more.

Until your weight vest arrives, you could approach this 2 ways: either pause Cathe at the end of the set and add a few more reps on to increase the intensity for you while you do all your reps with a lighter weight, one that doesn't strain your shoulders, or take a cue from S&H and introduce some pre-fatiguing exercises so that you don't have to use so much weight.

However, if these approaches make it seem like you are doing reps forever and ever, you may just have to lighten your weights, ignore what the 1 rep max suggests you use and use what you can without incurring shoulder pain, at least until the weight vest gets to you.

If you feel that this lighter weight isn't working the legs enough, you could always do the leg workout twice per week, then what it lacked in intensity, you could compensate with frequency?

Clare

I often place the dumbells on my shoulders - or use a barbell as heavy as I can to give the forearms and wrists a break. The weight is still the same and this should help until you get your vest.

I should have added that sometimes I am using 2-15 lbs dumbbells when Cathe holds one dumbbell up to her chest...I just can't do this with a 30 lb dumbbell. Sometimes I put them on my shoulders as well. After thinking about it more, it's not worth pain or hurting myself and we all are bound to have issues with some part of our body being weaker....I should just safely lower my weight for certain exercises. I could do, say, a deeper lunge or squat with less weight, so that's not so bad. I am afraid I wouldn't be able to lift the barbell over my head for some of these and be safe either. Where is that darned vest? Though now I am thinking I should have ordered a heavier one!

I am at the end of meso 1 and I can't believe what kinda weights I am using. I look at that 1RM sheet sometimes and think...no way...but try anyway and I can do it! 20lb DBs used to be SO darn heavy and now they are manageable to handle. It's those 25s and 30s that kick my butt! thanks for your thoughts....I'd love to hear more! I can't imagine what my weights will be by the end of STS! It scares me a little.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.