STS.... in reverse?

Gibbee

Cathlete
Has anyone done STS in reverse... starting out with M3 and working backwards? Just wondering - not sure what made me think to ask the question, but what the heck?

Sounds a little like repackaging to me, wonder though if Cathe tried this with any of her Gym lab rats? I read about on VF just this morning, I guess in theory it may give different results but then you have to look at where you start.

It is a strength building program, a bigger muscle is a stronger muscle (Bruce Lee) bigger muscles weigh more and generally take up more space. There's no one here that hasn't seen the cover shots.

That's not bashing either, that is what it is. You would be hard pressed to find a nutrition book that isn't a diet book, because diets sell, nutrition not so much.

I've often considered it, because it's the way that I used to train. Heavy weight, low reps to "bulk", then lower weight, higher reps to "cut". The first time that I did STS, I assumed that once I did it the prescribed way, then I'd probably do it backwards from then on, because it made more sense to me. But once I did the program, I realized the genius of how its set up. Because you need the endurance built up in the smaller muscles (from M1 & 2) to be able to support the heavier weight load on the bigger muscles in M3. So having done it twice now, I've come to the conclusion that I could probably get really good results by doing it in more of a pyramid, meaning M1,2,3,2,1 that way I would still get the bulk/cut results that I love, but not take away from the program the benefits that it has to offer. I know, personally, I'm able to lift heavier in M3 because of M1 & 2, so I'm not sure I'd want the trade off. My 1RM changes from M1-3, so I actually see strength gains that I've never seen in all my years of training really heavy (M3 style most of the time) in just a 4-wk period of lifting really heavy. After lifting so heavy, I can see the benefits of going back down to a high rep rotation afterward (which I usually do)..

JMHO

I've often considered it, because it's the way that I used to train. Heavy weight, low reps to "bulk", then lower weight, higher reps to "cut". The first time that I did STS, I assumed that once I did it the prescribed way, then I'd probably do it backwards from then on, because it made more sense to me. But once I did the program, I realized the genius of how its set up. Because you need the endurance built up in the smaller muscles (from M1 & 2) to be able to support the heavier weight load on the bigger muscles in M3. So having done it twice now, I've come to the conclusion that I could probably get really good results by doing it in more of a pyramid, meaning M1,2,3,2,1 that way I would still get the bulk/cut results that I love, but not take away from the program the benefits that it has to offer. I know, personally, I'm able to lift heavier in M3 because of M1 & 2, so I'm not sure I'd want the trade off. My 1RM changes from M1-3, so I actually see strength gains that I've never seen in all my years of training really heavy (M3 style most of the time) in just a 4-wk period of lifting really heavy. After lifting so heavy, I can see the benefits of going back down to a high rep rotation afterward (which I usually do)..

JMHO

That sounds like an interesting set up. Please let us know if you do this and what type of results you see!

JMHO

Ok and so now you have given me an idea for yet ANOTHER rotation! :eek: When I finish M3 in June perhaps I should just keep going and pyramid back down to M2 for a month and then M1 for a month to finish it off! It would add 2 months on to my rotation but what they hey, right!? ;):D I'll have already committed half of 2011 to STS so what's 2 more months gonna hurt!? :p

JMHO

This is kind of what I was thinking... surely there would be some additional benefits if you did it pyramid style. I can see how just a reverse rotation could result in a bit less results if you weren't conditioned to handle your 'heavy' weights in M3. Maybe later this year when DD heads off to college and I have a bit more free time, a pyramid type rotation would be good.

Well I know what I'm going to be doing from Sept to Feb :rolleyes:

This is kind of what I was thinking... surely there would be some additional benefits if you did it pyramid style. I can see how just a reverse rotation could result in a bit less results if you weren't conditioned to handle your 'heavy' weights in M3. Maybe later this year when DD heads off to college and I have a bit more free time, a pyramid type rotation would be good.

I'll be starting back STS later this year (fall/winter), we can try it out together, see what happens! :D Maybe we can all come together in a STS Pyramid challenge, lol. (Although, I know Wendy/Fit_Mommy will be done by then, so maybe she can give us some feed back ;) ) :cool:

I'll be starting back STS later this year (fall/winter), we can try it out together, see what happens! :D Maybe we can all come together in a STS Pyramid challenge, lol. (Although, I know Wendy/Fit_Mommy will be done by then, so maybe she can give us some feed back ;) ) :cool:

Ooohhhh I like this idea! I want in!!! Plus having Wendy's experience to guide us will be invaluable. Thanks Kiki for coming up with the idea and Wendy for being our guinea pig! :)

Sounds good to me!! I think it would be great to have some workout buddies.

Guess I will have to break down and buy the STS DVDs.... I have everything else including the rack....lol

Let's see if we can get a starting date figured out and I will have to go shopping:D

What about Sept? Maybe after Labor Day, sometime? The pyramid down would start after thanksgiving and go through the holidays...could that work?

Hey Kiki, I am already waivering on the pyramid down thing! :eek: I want to do it but I am thinking I may really want a change of pace by the time I finish M3! :eek: Time will tell......:p

Hey Kiki, I am already waivering on the pyramid down thing! :eek: I want to do it but I am thinking I may really want a change of pace by the time I finish M3! :eek: Time will tell......:p

Well, good grief Wendy! You've been doing STS for like the last YEAR, LOL :p . No one will fault you for taking a break. Maybe you could just join us later in the year, too. Give yourself some time to dust off all those other DVD's that are having STS jealousy right now... :cool:

Well, good grief Wendy! You've been doing STS for like the last YEAR, LOL :p . No one will fault you for taking a break. Maybe you could just join us later in the year, too. Give yourself some time to dust off all those other DVD's that are having STS jealousy right now... :cool:

LOL! Thanks for the invite but I am seriously considering going for a very cardio heavy rotation through the winter holidays w/just 1 or 2 full body weight work out in there each week. Regardless of what I decide to do after M3 is done though, I'll probably start STS again come January!;)

Sounds fun! I'm planning on starting the 6 mo rotation in July but if y'all do the 3.5 rotation in the fall maybe I'll be able to catch up with you?? Or I might want to rethink it and do the 3.5 rotation if I do the pyramid so it won't be so long ;)

DixieGirl said:
Sounds fun! I'm planning on starting the 6 mo rotation in July but if y'all do the 3.5 rotation in the fall maybe I'll be able to catch up with you?? Or I might want to rethink it and do the 3.5 rotation if I do the pyramid so it won't be so long ;)

Yeah, if your gonna pyramid down w/us, you might be itching for a change from STS by then, because the pyramid in and of itself would end up being a 5.5 month rotation, lol :p. That'd put you around, what? Like 9 months! :eek:

Last edited:
Question (probably for Kikster?)

When you pyramid back down, are you going to start the mesocycle at the beginning? I'm going to do a big ol' pyramid (I just started it--I'm in Meso 1 Week 3), and my rotation will look like this:

M1-M2-M2-M3-M3-M2-M1

Yep, it's pretty much my next year. :eek:

After I'm done with the M3 and go back to M2, do you think I should start M2 from the beginning, or work backwards in the mesocycle? Make sense? I am inclined to think that the mesocycle should be started from the beginning, as we would still want to progress throughout the mesocycle. What were you guys planning to do?

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.