STS Body Rockers week of 4/15

Wendy: I can't wait to hear your thoughts on Titanic 3D!!! :D I'd love to go see it too. Hope you had a wonderful afternoon with your mom.

Kiki: Post and run I see.....chicken! :p

Wiggie: First of all, let me qualify by saying almost everything I am about to tell you I learned from Kiki. She deserves all the credit. You said you want her arms, well here is how she's got them. :p Kiki utilizes bulk/cut cycles. She divides the year into 3 segments. During late fall/winter she "bulks"; in the spring/early summer she "cuts"; and in the late summer/early fall she "maintains". Most women (like me) want to build muscle and lose fat at the same time. The problem? These goals utilize opposite training techniques and eating styles. That is, you need to increase your calories/lifter heavier/lower reps to gain muscle but you need to decrease your calories to shed fat/lean out. There is where the various cycles come into play. During the "bulk" cycle, the plan is to eat more (slighty above maintenance), lift heavier (lower reps- think STS Meso 2 and 3), and cut back on cardio. During the "cut" phase, the plan is to eat a little less (slightly below maintenance), increase cardio a bit, and do more full body and circuit workouts. During the "maintenance" phase, the plan is to eat at maintenance, and utilize a mix of full body, split, and circuit workouts.

With all that said, let me tell you why I decide to give bulk/cut cycles a shot. At the beginning of this year, I noticed I had reached (actually surpassed) my ideal/goal weight, and yet my stomach was flabby, my butt was big, and I had little (if any) muscle definition. I was also eating between 1250 and 1500 calories a day and BARELY losing weight. Granted i'm not the cleanest eater on the block, but i'm not the worst either. I also noticed Kiki (who is about my height and age) was eating WAY more and looked soooo much better. What gives? So I started pestering her and she shared the above (and below) knowledge with me. I decided to put that knowledge to good use and started my first bulk cycle a few months ago. I increased my calories to around 2000/2100 per day (post-exercise), decreased my cardio to 2X a week, 45 minutes per session, and lifted heavier than ever before. My goals during this cycle: build muscle and re-set my metabolism. Now, in the interest of full disclosure, I did gain 3 pounds and my clothes a little tighter. BUT, that is normal. In 2 weeks, i'm going to start my cut phase. I'm not quite sure how it's going to work, but I THINK i'm going to lower my calories to 1800 per day (post-exercise), increase my cardio to 3Xs a week, and switch to full body workouts. After a few weeks, i'll lower my calories a little more (between 1600 and 1700). Why is this different than what I was doing before? Before my bulk cycle, I was eating 1500 and NOT losing. After my bulk cycle, i'll (hopefully) be eating 1600-1700 and LOSING. Plus (added bonus) i'll have a little muscle to show for all my hard work. After 2-3 months of "cutting" i'll go into maintenance mode.

I know this is a LOT of information (and probably more than you ever wanted to know). Kiki started a blog on MFP and it's a gold mine. Seriously! I highly recommend you check it out. Random Rambles - Get a Free Diet Blog at MyFitnessPal.com

Two more things:

(1). I used this calculator to determine my maintenance, bulk, and cut calorie amounts. Calorie Calculator - Scooby's Home Workouts

Bulk - I set my goal at "gain muscle"

Cut - I'll initially set my goal at "lose fat - 5% reduction" and i'll slowly keep decreasing my calories until I reach the calorie level for the "lost fat - 20% reduction" goal.

Maintain - i'll set my goal at "gain muscle, lost fat"

(2). Here's Kiki's description of the bulk/cut/maintenance cycles, which is much better than mine. :p

Phase 1: *Build* - this is when I eat slightly above maintenance level, lift as heavy as possible (using splits sessions), w/minimal cardio (2-3x's/wk, sessions around 30-45 min MAX). I do not focus on losing weight at all during this time, though I do still weigh in on occasion to make sure that I'm not simply getting fat and calling it "building" LOL. I still keep the eats fairly clean, try to keep the protein as high as possible. I eat above maintenance, because it's needed in order to add on muscle. I usually plan for it to last for 3-5 months OR until my clothes began to get uncomfortable, lol. This is why I naturally pick this time of year (winter) for this phase, as I'm dressing in looser fitting layers most of the time, and am not as sensitive to scale fluctuations... During this phase, I keep a close eye on my body fat levels, more-so than the actual weight on the scale. If the weight is going up, but body fat is staying steady, I keep going - if it's vice versa, on to the 'cut' phase, lol..... I gain fat almost as easily as I gain muscle, so it's an extremely delicate balance for me...

Phase 2: *Cut* - I like to start this phase early spring (March/April) in order to be ready for the thinner (and less) layers of the up-coming season. Depending on how clean my "building" phase was, this typically runs pretty smoothly. This is when I begin to *slowly* (and by slow, I mean s.l.o.w =p ) lower my cals on a week by week basis, and *slowly* increase the cardio (by replacing split workouts w/full body/circuit workouts in order to invoke the "cardio factor" into every workout, and adding in extra cardio sessions -early AM/late PM/extra day- as needed). The reason that I do it slowly is because depending on how long this phase will last, I need to be able to continue to adjust w/each plateau, so that my results don't stagnate. I like to be able to lose, while still eating as much as possible, and to still have another "trick" up my sleeve, so to speak. I don't get super restrictive w/my cals or excessive w/my cardio until I'm almost at the finish line, so that I don't subject my body to it for more than 2-4 weeks MAX. I never want my body to just adjust and think that's the new norm, because there's no way that I could keep it up, thus setting myself up for failure. So basically, I don't pull my "trump card" too early...

Phase 3: *Maintain* - If all has gone well up until this point (typically around June), this period should be smooth sailing. I pretty much kick back and enjoy the fruits of my labor during this point, knowing that I'm ready for an impromptu trip to the beach or other random event where skin may be involved, lol. This is when I'll enjoy doing any and all workouts, not necessarily focusing on one particular thing. I'll often do splits and full body wo's in the same week (like two splits, one full), and begin to tone down the cardio just a bit (3 x's/wk, or as needed). For me, it's the perfect time to enjoy some of my workout DVD's that may have been neglected during specific phases. I njoy trying out Cathe Friedrich's* created rotations (which, in my opinion, mostly seem to geared toward maintenance - with exception to a few, that are more specific to certain phases). They'll typically give me lots of variety, allow me to stay in shape, but I don't have to depend on them to do anything specific for my body other than that... My eats slowly increase back to maintenance level (which is typically slightly higher than it was before, at this point - I re-test it each year by slowly increasing to see what my new maintenance is)...

Katie: Wow!! Lol! You're good :p

Btw, I use Scooby's calculator too. Helps keep the bulk under control, and actually achieve its purpose, rather than the traditional bulk where people pack on massive lbs, then spend twice as much time trying to take it off, lol...

Spinning this morning! Wearing my new workout stuff from Marshalls-got this cool Athleta running zip up jacket & tank top for cheep.

Katie & Kiki- whoa! I had no idea you had this down to such a science.
Kiki- I would like to hear more of this on RT- My boss gave me the monday off after- when I told her what I was doing that weekend, she gave me off on Monday, saying that she didn't want me at work on Monday after a weekend like that! I already have a massage scheduled...
Wendy- I'm contemplating a yoga workout tomorrow morning as well...hmmm
Wiggie- should have avoided the scale another week, oh well, it's only a number!

I haven't done a Cathe video in a long time- tomorrow morning I may do Athletic Training, Afterburn (the one I love to hate) or a yoga- time will tell

Happy friday everyone! have a great day

Bridget

Good morning All!!

Wow, Katie & Kiki, I'm really impressed at your knowledge on this subject. I would like to try it, but I guess I need to wait until you guys go back to the bulk phase. Maybe I'll have lost more weight by then, because the thought of gaining really kinda freaks me out. Do you think I can do the cut phase even thought I didn't bulk? I have visable muscle in my arms, back, abs, calves & even though my thighs are large, I can see muscles in them when I flex. Can you tell me what kinds of foods you eat? Do you have to eliminate any food groups? Even though I don't attend WW meetings I still follow the plan. I'm at 26 points, so if I need to decrease calories I would just slowly decrease my point allowance.

Bridget, glad you got to spin!! I love new workout clothes!! :D

Wendy, hope you & your mom had fun!!

Have a great day Everyone!!

Wiggie: a bunch of Cathletes will be bulking together again in the fall, and we'd love to have more company for sure ;). You can certainly continue cutting or maintaining until then, but I will share that neither Katie or I were at "goal" (as in goal "look") when we started, so keep that in mind ;)

But, I wouldn't recommend bulking right now, with summer around the corner, would you, Katie? :confused:

Oh, and we don't really do much eliminating of food groups, that i recall (Katie can correct me if I'm wrong) lol...we LOVE to eat :eek:

Bridget & Wiggie: there's a group of Cathletes that are trying out bulk/cut cycles over on myfitnesspal, if you wanted to lurk over there and see how it pans out for them. Bridget, many of them will be at the RT, so they'll be able to give you some feedback of their experiences as well :). Btw, how cool is your boss?! That's awesome!

Last edited:
Morning! No workout for me today. It's my rest day. :D I love sleeping until almost 7:00 am!:p

Bridget: I love new workout clothes! Now i'm jealous! :) I'm also jealous you are going on the RT. You're going to have such a great time! I expect a detailed report when you get back missy. ;) :p Smart idea to schedule a massage after the RT. Hopefully I can remember to do that next year! Any decisions on your Cathe workout yet?

Wiggie: Whew, i'm glad Kiki answered your question re: whether to start a cut phase now because I had no clue. LOL! She's the brains behind this operation. I just parrot what she tells me. :D ;) I do agree that starting a bulk cycle right now probably wouldn't be the best idea. I've LOVED bulking the past few months, but i'm looking forward to trimming down a bit for summer. Plus it takes time to wrap your head around a bulk cycle, and in turn, the potential of gaining a few pounds. Kiki has lots of fantastic "get ready to bulk" information on her blog.

With respect to food, I eat everything and eliminate nothing. Chocolate? yep, every single day. Diary? you-bet-cha. I'm not big into cutting out food groups during any cycle because, well, like Kiki said, we all LOVE to eat!! Now, with that said, what I have started doing is paying attention to my macros (proteins, fat, and carbs). I quickly realized I was eating WAY to many carbs and not near enough protein each day (logging my food on myfitnesspal helped me figure all this out). I'm still struggling with carb control and, during this upcoming cut phase, I plan on lowering my carbs further. By doing that, I will likely limit some foods (breads, pasta, flour) but i'll never cut those food groups out completely. But that's just me. :) Others have success cutting out food groups. So really, it is what works best for you. I did happen to run across this quote yesterday which made complete sense to me. “Total calories dictate how much you lose or gain, and macro nutrient types and ratios dictate what you lose or gain”. Good stuff. :)

If you are struggling to lose fat/weight, do you think maybe you have lowered your calories to far? How many calories is 26 points? I mean, you work out really hard 5-6 days a week and maybe you aren't eating enough to support your workouts. Maybe you should try increasing your calories for 1-2 weeks, and then decreasing again (Kiki please correct me if i'm wrong here). This might what you need to jump start your body's fat burning mode. :)

Good Morning Ladies.

Today's work out got done bright-n-early! I started at 7:30-right after dropping my son off at school and this is what I did:

~Total Body Trisets Lower Body (40 mins)
~20 minute interval cardio work out doing one 4 minute round (8@10/20) of each of the following 5 exercises: Jump rope, hula hoop, jumping jacks, squat jumps, mountain climbers.
~Yoga Relax-30 minutes of mixing n matching the portions I wanted to do.

Katie:: Oh yay for your beloved rest days huh? ;):) LOL Holy cow, just reading all of the explanations of bulking/cutting/maintenance was a lot of work! I can't imagine DOING it! Kudos to you and best of luck in getting the results that you desire!:) Well the 3D part of Titanic was a disappoinment for sure but I love that movie and never watch it when it comes on tv so I was happy to see it again in the theaters regardless.

Wiggie:: Enjoy the journey if you decide to join the ladies on the bulk/cut/maintain cycles! :) I can't imagine having to cut WW points below 26 though! :eek:

Bridget:: So did you get your yoga on? :D So you are considering joining Kiki et all as well?

Kiki:: All of this bulking talk reminds me of my first experience with STS and how I gained 8# w/in 3 weeks of doing M1 but trust me it wasn't purposeful bulking and I was sooooo unhappy!!! I could never do the bulking phase properly. It would mess with my head waaay too much! IDK how you do it but good for you! :) I'll just stick with my exercise ADD ways...It works for me as long as I keep my eating under control! ;):p LOL

Guess that's all for now...I have no appointments or social engagements today so I am dedicating today to laundry and cleaning and maybe a quick food shopping trip...With that said, I'd better get started but I'll be back when I decide to take a break!:cool:

Last edited:
Wendy- LOL. I know what you mean. I had exercise ADD for the longest, too :p. That was the main thing that I took away from my very first experience with STS: work out with purpose. It completely changed the way I viewed my workouts and inspired me to become a trainer. The results that I'd seen, coupled with the research I'd done over the years was the only thing that convinced me that it was the way to go for me ;). It's my lifestyle, now. However....The more I do it, the less I'll have to, since I'll eventually have the level of muscularity that I desire, and bulks will no longer be necessary. I plan on doing one more good bulk this fall, and evaluating from there.. But it may very well be my last :( (I do love bulking, lol)

But I'll be the first to admit, that it's not for everyone. You have to make it work for you :)

Katie, I'm not really having alot of trouble losing, I just want to be firmer, mainly my upper arms & thighs. I figure if i gain more muscle, I'll be more toned. I only want to lose about 5-10 more pounds. As for the 26 points, I really not sure how many calories it is. It varies depending on your food choices. I also get 49 extra points weekly & activity points for exercise, so it's plenty of food, I never feel deprived. I do occassionally up my calories, not as a real weight loss strategy, it just happens!! :p This would be something I've never tried before, just curious if It would work as well for me as it has for you guys.

Last edited:
Wiggie: Ah, okay, now I understand your goal. I was off earlier, sorry! Sadly, I have no idea what method(s) to recommend to help you achieve your goal. I know I'm useless, lol! Maybe Kiki will have a few ideas....

Good Morning Ladies. Happy Saturday! :)

Well the scale seems to be creeping back DOWN finally after a couple weeks of torturing me!:p I didn't let myself get all worked up over it when it went up but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't THRILLED that it's heading back down again now! :D

This morning after DS' karate class I'll go to the gym with DH to work upper body and abs. Not sure if I'll get in any cardio in or not. If I do great. If not, I'm not worrying about it. Not sure what else is on tap for today.

Hope to be able to stop by later!:cool:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.