STS and dumbbells

Candice, try it! The only caveat I have is in microloading, or adding incremental weight loads. If you have gloves like Cathe's, or something like paceweights, you should be fine as long as your % of your 1RM needed is covered by your Db weight range.

I did purchase a barbell (to 50#) when I 1st purchased STS, & as time went on, I purchased another for heavier weights. But I think your 1st time through, you can do it with your range of Dbs. I say "Go For It!"

I did the whole program with only dumbbells. Like Debinmi mentioned I also have the gloves for adding incremental weight loads which helped. Regardless, it is an awesome program and I think you will be fine with just dumbbells.

Oh, I forgot to mention another way to increase weight incrementally is to use adjustable ankle weights on your wrists. My ankle weights adjust from ~1\2# to 3# ... that helped me as my lighter dumbells are coated with vinyl which the pacemates don't attach to securely.

I use ankle weights on my wrists for incremental weight loading too. I have 1lb and 2lb ankle weights. One thing with using dumbbells that I like is that for some of the exercises it can show up strength imbalances between your right and left side. For example, if you are doing a bench press with dumbbells you may find you push one side up faster and easier than the other. This allows you to work more on your weaker side.

Thank you very much. I have a barbell but it is still packed in storage from our move a year ago. Keep hoping we will have a house soon so I can get it. I did just by attachments for my dumbbells that will add 2.5 pounds to them so that should help. Also have ankle weights that I could use. I have had STS for a couple of years and just have never gotten past Meso one.

Candice, for me at least, Meso 1 is the hardest. The endurance phase has a real cardio factor and that makes it more difficult for me. I encourage you to not stop after Meso 1 - 2&3 are hard if you lift appropriately but they don't have as much cardio factor (except plyo legs in Meso3 if you do that option). Have fun & let us know how it goes!

Candice, for me at least, Meso 1 is the hardest. The endurance phase has a real cardio factor and that makes it more difficult for me. I encourage you to not stop after Meso 1 - 2&3 are hard if you lift appropriately but they don't have as much cardio factor (except plyo legs in Meso3 if you do that option). Have fun & let us know how it goes!
Wondering if I should just start with Meso 2. I'm not new to lifting, but should probably follow the written rotation

Hey Candice, I guess your goals & current workout rotation might help determine the best course for you. I remind myself of that when considering rotation options. As Cathe often says ... "it's your workout"!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.