>---STS 6 Monthers Alumni---< Week of July 25!!!!

Hammocks and sunburns! Sounds like summer! LOL!

Picnic was fun. It was at one of the big lakes here (about 20 minutes from my house) and it was nice and hot! Liked that. They had a clown for the kids with facepainting and she made balloon hats for them, etc. Oh and MAJOR squirt gun and water balloon fights! I love watching the little kids get into it. There was a water balloon station. So towards the end, the adults were into it as well...that was our signal to leave! LOL!

It's supposed to be 90 today - I'm working on laundry right now and want to get some stuff done around here. DH went to meet a client, SS is at work, so I have the house to myself for a little while. I just got done doing Step Blast. I've really been enjoying doing all this cardio of late and pulling out some workouts I haven't done in a while. I also need to study some today...have big test #2 this Wednesday.

Cendrine, when I was growing up my dad had a hammock and we loved it! It was out in the yard and became a good source of entertainment for us. I do remember DH said that it took about 3 sessions with acupuncturists for him to see results so I hope you have the same experience! (I know you will!) Oh yeah, I was actually shocked to find out our insurance had covered it, but they won't cover a naturopath...go figure!

Rachel, what's cooking at your house today? So did you and DH go to the lake by yourselves or were you with friends? I hate it too when I miss I spot with the suncreen, but we do the best we can right? How's your elbow doing? I've been doing every thing the PT told me to do with the tubing. It definitely is better, but I have a ways to go. More range of motion without pain, and it's not waking me up any more. I hope your DH is feeling better!

Off to get busy! Kim, whereever you are, I hope you're having fun!

Forgot to tell you this. This is how bad the summer had been: today I finally put away the flannel sheets and put on regular sheets! Normally, I switch towards the end of May and then put them back on in October. We'll see how long this lasts! LOL! :cool::D:p:confused:

We still have our blanket on top of our sheets! I ususally sleep with just sheets or nothing at this time of year! The weather seems to have been odd here too, June gloom again this morning!
It sounds like the picnic was fun! You sure are busy now that you have tests to take and prepare for! How's the online thing going for you? Do you take the tests online too? That would be convenient if it is set up that way!
I have to go take ds to a birhtday party in a little bit and am planning on going to a starbucks or something to read while I wait to pick him back up.
ds and dh and dd were out on the porch this morning in the hammock playing cards...:) I think I better get another hammock or something! LOL!

Back from camping! It was a great weekend. The lake we went to is Grand Beach, it's been named as one of the top 10 beaches in North America. Gorgeous sandy beaches and clear shallow water. The weather was hot and only a few bugs. The kids spent hours in the water with their cousins. My nephew got second degree sunburns on his face, he had blisters on his cheeks! He has redhair and freckles so burns very easy. I felt bad as we had my sister's 2 kids out there a day before my sister and BIL arrived and that's when he got burnt. He's 12 though and he puts the sunscreen on himself. I know he applied it twice but I guess not enough.

My garden is going crazy. We have buckets of peas. The kids are eating them raw like potatoe chips. I also have tons of cucumbers, lettuce and beets. Both sisters have been given bags of produce.

Rachael Sounds like you also had a nice day at the beach. I know what you mean about the heat zapping your energy, I slept so sound both nights in the camper. Are you back to work tomorrow? Is DH feeling better? We were back at the house site this evening and even more progress! So exciting to see. I'll post some more pics this week.

Cendrine The hammock sounds wonderful! We have one up at my mom's cottage and the kids play in it alot. I sure hope the acupunturist helps. I wonder if the insurance company pays for it depending on who administers it?? Like would they pay if it was part of a physiotherapy treatment?

Jo Well you're finally getting some fun summer playtime! LOL on the blankets. We've had the airconditioner on most of the summer.

Think of doing CTX this week while I'm on holidays. DH is at work this week. The kids have swimming lessons in the morning and since I'm on holidays we'll try and find some fun activities for the afternoon. Next Friday is a holiday weekend and we'll head to my mom's cottage with the extended family probably Friday to Monday.

Kim sounds like you had a GREAT weekend at a GREAT location! Too bad about nephew and the sunburn! That sounds painful!

Cendrine...I know the kids will own that hammock before long! LOL! Hope you had a relaxing afternoon reading.

Well, I got some laundry done and then DH and I went out to do a little yardwork. About an hour was all I could handle until my arm started to bother me and it's hot! We live in a total jungle with all the trees and ferns and stuff. It's really a chore to work in it. We need to hire someone to come in and do the real heavy stuff and then we can maintain. There are 1000's of pine cones, fallen branches and sticks and stuff like that that has to be continually picked up (in addition to all the cedar leaves and weed pulling). Besides the never ending battle with the blackberry vines. On the other side, it's so theraputic to be out there! Interesting thing though, now after having PT work on me, the pain is up in my shoulder and not so much in my arm. Oh and DH shoulder is now doing really well, but he was feeling it after about an hour also. He did go back out later and mow though.

Anyway, we finished all that and then I made us some kale lemonade with beets. I then made a big pot of black bean soup with corn, kale, peppers, carrots, celery, sweet potatoe and wheat berry for lunches this week.

So now I'm settling in to do some homework and wrap up the weekend!

Hello MONDAY! Another beautiful day!

Not much to report yet. I'm up and off to work. No time to work out this morning so may hit the gym after work.

Enjoy the day!

Your yard sounds like a lot of work Jo! But I bet it's beautiful!

Enjoying my vacation. Took kids to swimming lessons and puttered around getting the house in order. DS and I played a game of Scrabble. It's 30Celsius(87F) so a little too hot to do much outside except swim. I haven't worked out! I kept planning on it but just enjoying being lazy I think I'm tired from all the sun over the weekend. Making a nice supper cucumber salad, beets and barbeque ribs.

Nothing exciting to report, hope everyone is having a good day.

Good Monday evening!

Sorry guys...It seems like since Saturday it has been one thing after another after another!
The bad part is I got so bust yesterday trying to catch up with everything that I forgot to call my brother and wish him a Happy Birthday!:eek: I swear it happens every year. I have even called him the day before and sang HB to him and then realized I was a day early!
I have had a rough few days. First I did something to where when I sat down , my hips hurt, then we went and seen Inception and I somehow strained my eyes and have been having a weird pain when I look side to side and last but my most frustrating is that we have had 2 full grown stray dogs trying to take up residence at our house! They are very sweet but I am trying to keep my distance and hope they will go away but I am afraid they have found out where the food is(they knocked over our dog food can). Now I am sure they know where an easy meal is so I don't know how we are going to get rid of them. Every option is a terrible one. Of course we can not kill them but I feel like taking them to a pound is about the same thing but there is no way that we are going to be able to take on 2 full grown dogs along with the 2 we have. I hate irresponsible pet owners!!!!!!!:mad:

Kim-All the produce sounds great! I had to laugh that 87 is too hot to be outside...We probably will not see 87 again in the daytime until maybe October! Well unless the weather is wacky.
The lake yall were at sounds beautiful.

Jo- I can't believe yall just got rid of the flannel sheets...Crazy!
I am really thinking about giving some upper body work a go here soon. I am just going to stay light if I do. I really do not feel the pain I was feeling but am afraid that that is because I have not lifted anything yet.

Cendrine-How is your back feeling? Are you still getting a good feeling from the acupuncture?
I will be getting ready to do some pilates research here soon!;) I think I need a change for a little bit. I am feeling worn out even after a rest day.

TTYT

Today was a fairly lowkey day, other than swimlessons we stayed home and I got to get some stuff done. Tomorrow we are going watermelon picking at a local organic farm right after swimlessons and then I see the acupuncturist again (interesting thought, Kim, that maybe if it were done in physical therapy the insurance might pay, I have no idea...) and after that I pick up a playdate for ds right afterwards.... so pretty busy which makes me glad I got some rest today.

Rachel, I am so sorry about all your stuff! I wouldn't have the slightest idea what to do about the dogs except move the dog food into the garage and feed the dogs there or inside until the other ones go away. How weird that you would get two stuck there just like that! I hope your hip and eyes will be back to normal quick!

Kim, your garden harvest is amazing, you must have a huge garden to get this kind of produce! If only I liked gardening more, I would totally make a big one too, but I really only like harvesting....LOL!
Dd and ds planted some basil in the garden today that we grew from clippings until it grew roots. They enjoyed that. Dd got a little gardening tote that looks like a cute turtle for her birthday so she is out there a lot with her little rake and shovel, spray bottle and watering can. She even planted some carrot and radish seeds, but I don't know if they will grow.

Jo, did you end up going to the gym after work? I took the day off from working out. Hey, the CE magazine got here today. Any of you guys got it too? There is some fun stuff in there that I am going to try out. I am looking at the desserts ....:eek:

Good morning yall

Well I attempted DM this morning...just the upper body premix. I made it till drill 5 and then I was done! I am really needing something and I have no idea what it is. I did not work out SUnday or Monday so I thought that was a good rest but still tired. Oh well, I will figure it out. By the end of this week this job will be about over and maybe then it will be break time.

Cendrine-Can't wait to hear how the acupuncture goes today!

Better go
Have a great day!

Okay, Rachael, it did hit the 100's yesterday I heard on the news in the evening. I can't imagine having that kind of heat for too long, it's just so limiting of what you can do outside. Hard to do many sports outside, etc.
We're supposed to stay warm high 80's and 90's all week.

Rachael Maybe it's time to take a couple of weeks off. The arm injury is probably draining your strength (and the heat!!). How was the movie, Inception? I've heard good reviews. Oh, I feel for you on the doggies, that would be so hard not to feed them when you are a dog lover. Any idea of where they came from?

Cendrine The funny thing is it's a very small garden and it's only my second year gardening. Both years I've had incredible harvests with enough to feed my extended family/coworkers. I'm getting a lot of teasing about my green thumb. All I do is plant the seeds, weed/water a bit. I really have no idea what I'm doing. I think it annoys my mom a bit who has been gardening her whole life and her garden hasn't done well either year. Overall gardens are not doing well at all as we had a cool/rainy spring. I think we just happen to have a really good spot for growing eg. soil/drainage/sun) and it has nothing to do with any of my thumbs. It'll be interesting to see how my garden does in the new house next year.

Never worked out yesterday but DH did MMA Fusion:cool: I think I will get started on the CTX series today. We went over to the model home of the house we are building. They are closing that show home this week, moving to new designs so the kids wanted to see it one more time. They had lots of fun planning their rooms out. I guess the family moving in won't let us come visit it. :cool:

Off to swimming lessons, then CTX Power Circuits, lunch then the kids and I will find something to do. Yesterday was lazy lay around the house day but maybe a movie today??

Oh we caved!
DH first but then I couldn't take it we had to feed the dogs. They had already eaten here but not really with permission. I am now actively trying to find homes for them. I just started but I am sure it is going to be a hard task because they are not puppies and most people do not want an already partly grown dog. Our last resort will have to be the pound. I thought we had a no kill shelter but they don't really take dogs in. They just provide low cost spay and neuter. I am very frustrated with the whole thing but we just can't let them starve. The really weird thing is that our dogs do not seem to mind them. They don't care for any of the other neighborhood dogs but it is kind of like they have empathy for these dogs too. Plus I think it is also because the new dogs are not trying to be all alpha. Sometimes I really dislike the area I live in because people tend to think it is ideal for dropping off animals.

Cendrine-I still did not get my CE mag but have been looking forward to it for a week now! The dogs are obviously siblings. They are really smart and know how to work us too. We just have a hard enough time finding good quality time with the dogs we have and I know we can not keep them.

Kim-Buttholes, that is where the dogs come from! I have asked a few people around here but no one seems to know. I am going to try to call the animal protection league tomorrow and try to find out if they can help in any way.
I thought Inception was good but it was one of those I could have waited to see at home. It was a little long for me to be in the theatre. I think 2 hrs and 20 min or so.
It sounds like you are really enjoying your time off. All except for the heat! I guess it would be the equivalent of us having some sub zero temps! Yall are out going about your business during those kinds of temps and my town would be closed! LOL

Jo-I know you are super busy! We are thinking about ya though!

Kim, I know you are right...I do probably need to take some time off. I thought that the time off I took was enough but I probably need the real vacation with no working out at all. That is hard for me.

Kim, you got all the nice weather. It is barely 70 here and not even that when the swim lessons are, so the kids are shivering when they get out. I know for you that is probably good swim weather, but us californians are a bit whimpy when it comes to the water temps.... LOL
You must have very good soil where your garden is and just the perfect lighting. our plants only get sun in the afternoon because the houses and walls are so close and the yards so little... Oh well.

Rachel, you're such a good soul, taking care of the dogs the way you are! I never even thought of finding them a home as an option... great idea. I hope you find some soon. Do you have petstores in the area that might be interested in a free dog? Here the pet stores inspect your home and all to make sure the pets get a good home, at least for cats and dogs they do.
A workout break sounds kind of like what you need. I hope you can enjoy it, it's hard not to do anything.

My visit at the acupunctue office went well. I do hope it's working. I think it's still too soon for me to tell for sure, I don't want to be one of those people who yells I'm cured only to find out I'm not... :)
The dr told me though walking and light weights would be good, as some of the pilates moves apparently are a bit too much challenge for the lower back area at this time. So I'm thinking of pulling out a cathe weight workout and enjoy it with light weights! Yay! But I do need to get some cardio tomorrow so maybe half half or something like that.

Watermelon picking was fun. Did you guys know there is such a thing as yellow watermelons? taste just like the red ones but are totally yellow:confused: We got lots of samples of the currently ripe produce from the farm which is so much fun! And we bought some veggies at the stand. Good stuff!

Well, gotta go get some rest, it was a nonstop day, and ds' playdate was very destructive... so I had to force them to play quiet games otherwise I might have yelled! :eek:

Hi Everyone! Well yesterday was busy, went to the gym after work and then got totally immersed in homework (I have another test tomorrow). Then today I had PT early then spinning tonight. I'm sitting here eating a salad before I go study. So the PT (had the main PT guy) told me he thinks I strained this muscle called something that starts with an "s" (never heard of it) but it reminds me of spumonti as well as another little helper muscle in there. He said they see lots of women with this kind of injury. Anyway, he gave me more tubing exercises to do and these pendulums with a 2 lb weight which reminds you when Cathe is circling the shoulder (to rest it) in one of her weight workouts. Only I'm doing it with a weight. You know she's sitting on a chair hanging her arm and then swinging it in little circles? I think it's in STS.

Rachel, I'm broken hearted for this doggies! And nothing is worse then people dumping dogs! Our friends have acquired at least 5 dogs that way and have had as many as 3 at a time. They do like you and try to find the owner, post flyers, etc. and then end up keeping them! So how is your hip and eyes today? Are you better? That is very strange!

Cendrine, my CE mag came today but I won't have time to look at it until after this test is over. Glad the acupunture visit went well! Did he give you any medicine to take at home? DH's little chinese lady often gives him little things (I call them potions! LOL!) to take or sometimes he'll come home with a needle still stuck in him that has to stay there for X number of hours. He loves her! I know this will work for you! Yellow watermelon??? No, I've never heard of that!

Kim, now the fun really begins watching your house progress! It'll be like watching a new flower grow! LOL! How great to revisit an old friend like CTX after doing Insanity! I've been enjoying doing some of my old Cathe favorites like Step Fit and Step Works! Hope you're really enjoying your time off!

Okay, got to go get to the homework! TTYL!

Oh one more quick thing....have I told you guys lately how much I love to spin?

I LOVE TO SPIN!!!!!

Specifically RPM, but I LOVE TO SPIN!!!!

Don't you forget it!!! I would LOVE IT if you could all spin with me! I would love it if we could all workout together just one time!!!

I LOVE CATHE!

I would love it if Cathe did a spinning workout!

Jo, I LOVE CATHE TOO! I had so much fun doing CTX Power Circuits yesterday!! So much fun to be back to Cathe workouts. I also jumped on the tm and did a 1.5 mile run and I'm a little faster than I was before Insanity:p

Tooke the kids to see Grownups yesterday, they thought it was hilarious:rolleyes::rolleyes: Because we are on holidays and have too much time on our hands we keep running over to see the house and nothing new. It finally occurred to me that since they pour the concrete basement last week, the concrete needs to sit for 1-2 weeks to dry so that's why nothing is happening. It was so fun to see the daily changes last week but probably won't be anything new this week.

Jo Maybe the supraspinatus or the subscapularis muscle??

Cendrine That is cool swimming weather. Is the pool heated? One of the teachers from dd's daycare was in Disneyland last week and said it was quite cool there, they had to use sweaters at night. Never heard of yellow watermelons, how strange!

Rachael You have a good heart! My SIL (dh's sister) works at the humane society here. About 2 years ago her and her DH bought a rural property with a huge yard and I thought she would end up bringing all the dogs home that weren't getting adopted. But so far she has managed to keep only 3 at a time. Often she brings home the big/older dogs that are harder to adopt out so they don't live that many years. I could never work in that kind of setting but I'm so glad that someone does!

Okay we going to head up to my mom's cottage at the lake on the weekend. Any ideas for meals?? I got the veggies covered!:eek: It's 13 people, with some fussy kids, the oven doesn't work that well. So it's using the stovetop, barbque, or the slow cooker. It's also going to be hot! Any idea?? I'm tired of the usual hamburgers, hot dogs, pulled pork, sandwiches.

I didn't walk today, all I could think of is pulling a cathe workout out and doing it! LOL! I loved it from hearing the music to seeing all the people and going back to low-ends... LOL! I did muscle max with really light weights. Sometimes I felt like it's not even worth it but then I kept telling myself that starting light is really the sensible thing to do. If I am not sore tomorrow, I can always up the weights next weight workout. I have a feeling my legs are going to hurt despite the light weights...

Jo, it sounds like you have a lot of tests! Wow! Will it ease up any or is this some kind of accelerated program? No, acupuncturist hasn't given me any herbs yet, but he was asking me about them yesterday, so maybe he will have some ready for me on Thursday... We'll see. No needles left to keep working, but some pressure point tapes in my ear.

Kim, waiting for the concrete to dry would make me so impatient! Good thing you guys go to the cottage, great distraction! As far as meals go at the cottage, I would make some salad, couscous salad (got a yummy recipe if you like) I also have a yummy black bean mango salsa and then those who want to be healthy can use romaine leaves to put the salsa or salad on and those who want more can use a wrap or tortilla or chips. Salads are so nice on a summer day. I also like to make spinach salad with strawberries and nuts with a strawberry dressing, of course fruit salads are great too. Other than that, grilling whatever the kids like and you can grill what you like, sometimes I get premarinated chicken breasts from costco to save myself the time for marinating.

Rachel, how are you feeling today?

I'm going over to a friend of ds's to do a green smoothie demo while the kids play. Wonder if she'll convert....LOL:rolleyes:

Good Tuesday!

Well I am feeling more my normal self. My eyes are finally back to normal...The only way I can explain it is if you are like me, your eyes hurt when you try to look under your arm for very long...kind of strained. That is what it felt like when I looked left to right or vice versa. All I can think is that I really was straining to see the screen or something..What ever it was it is gone now so I am happy. Hip is good too but all I did this morning was the stability ball abs from ab circuits.

I had a great attitude all day and I felt great so I am thinking with all the stuff that has happened here lately , I have been down in the dumps, so maybe now it will be better!

Cendrine-Way to go on keeping the weight light. I know it seems like it's so easy but it is better than going too heavy like I did. Isn't it fun to do a workout you have not done in a while!
There are no pet stores or any place around here for that matter that will take the pups. We are going to try and find a home but we know we can not keep them. 4 would just be too many for us.
Oh and you can stop by here any time and make me a green smoothie! LOL

Kim-How did you like Grownups? I was wondering about that movie too.
I did at one point when I was a lot younger, work at a vet and it was pretty tough too. I thought I would like it but you do not think about the sad stuff. Your sister in law knew though going in about what happens at the HS so I really commend her for that. It would be too much for me too.

Jo-Do you like to SPIN?:p I know the little circles you are talking about and they feel great when you get to do them so I am sure they are great rehab.
I am sending you good vibes for your test even though you have probably already taken it!

Still no CE mag!!! grrrr!

I GOT another 100!!!!! I just got home about 20 minutes ago and still need to have a piece of fruit or something. I forgot all my snacks when I left work so had nothing to eat at school!

Anyway, I'll catch up with you all tomorrow! Tomorrow is RESORT NIGHT!!!!

Rachel have you had an eye check-up?

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.