STS 6 Month Alumni - ****May 2012****

Hello and Good Day! DH left Ibo home with me today and he's sulking. He hasn't spent time away from DH in a couple of months. I know he'll eat when he's hungry, but he refuses to eat if DH isn't here so I hand feed him. :rolleyes: I think I told you guys a while back that DH is making all of Ibs'o jerky for him :rolleyes: I mean it's not like he's spoiled or anything! LOL! Anyway, he will eat the jerky as that's his favorite!

Not so sore this time from After Burn. My DVD freezes in the stretch portion when there's about a minute left and then goes to the menu. So I emailed support and they are sending me a new DVD.

I'm just getting ready to get on the TM to do a run/jog. TBL finale is tonight - Kim are you watching that? This season was better and I want Kim to win! Lots of drama this time too!

Okay, off to the TM!

I didn't follow tbl at all this year, but I've been keeping up with once upon a time, any of you guys watching that?

I am getting very close to having no food in my pantry and freezer... it has been quite a trip trying to come up with ways to use everything up...

But it's kind of fun to see how much turns out well even though I'm taking risks... like for instance, we had lots of laughing cow cheese left from when D's loved it but then he kind of outgrew it, I finally thought I might try using it to make a spaghetti carbonara sauce by sauntering onions and garlic, adding some nitrite free Bacon pieces, then melting up the cheese with milk and nutmeg to. Make the sauce... it was so good they want me to make it again...lol
gotta run...

I did watch TBL finale, have to admit I was hoping that Kim would win, she looked great!

Did upper body premix from High Reps tonight.

This might be a quick one. We just got in from work and I got ready and now while dh is taking a shower I thought I would try and catch up with you guys.

First I have to say, I got all my hair cut off!!!!! And I love it!!!I will try to get some snapshots of it on here sometime.

Cendrine-I love that the experiments are turning out in the kitchen. I think I do better when I do not over think it too. Maybe that is why it is working out so well! I am just so happy for you! We sent off for some travel info on Oregon and I am getting excited. I would love for us to get together if at all possible!

Jo-I think that the homemade jerky might be why Dh is Ibo's favorite;) I love any man who loves animals that much!!!ANd I love that you are busting out all those work outs!

Kim- You are just so impressive! Running and Cathe workouts!!! I am going to yoga 3 days a week at 5:45 am and then on Saturdays but I also do some other stuff here off of yogaglo. I am really just loving it. It is a real challenge for me!

OK yall my nephew turns 7 today so off to a birthday party!

TTYS

I would love to see some hair pics Rachael!

So Cendrine, did you finish off the school year? Or everything on hold till you move?

Did a cardiocoach on the tm, tonight, 4.5 miles. I'm not working tomorrow but have a busy day, in the morning we are getting a fence installed, and someone is coming to have a look at the dryer. Then my mom, dd and and niece are driving up to the cottage to meet the plumber, we are going to stay one night and get the spring cleaning done.

Bring on the hair pics Rachel!!! Let me know if you have specific questions about Oregon. I grew up in the Willamette Valley so may be able to give you some input if you have specific questions.

Cendrine, you are so creative with food! I would probably ending up giving stuff to people because I wouldn't know what to do with it! LOL!

Kim, I'll bet you're looking forward to cottage time! That's a sure sign the good weather is coming (fingers crossed!).

Got my washing machine fixed so have been doing laundry like crazy. And now after 5 loads of wash, the dryer quit working. However, I know it just has to be reset which DH has to do since the idiots that designed this put the reset button inside the dryer so it has to be taken apart! :confused: DOH! Obviously a man came up with that idea! LOL! That's what I said to DH!

Okay today I did Athletic Training for the first time! I loved that too! Then tonight I have my first team meeting with my team for my senior project. There's four of us and this time 3 of us are in my time zone! Last session I was the only one on the west coast and everyone else was on the east coast!

Have to do some cleaning!

Rachel, I want to see pics too!

Kim, I love how you guys are doing spring cleaning together! I am thinking of hiring someone once a year to do my spring cleaning in the new house. Just thinking about doing the job on my own (the kids just are too little to do a satisfactory job for my standards...;)) feels overwhelming.

We are finishing our school year next week. The kids and I are both glad and relieved to have it done and not have to pull things out to finish right away when we get there. We worked ahead so we could go to Disney land for the day yesterday with our homeschool friends. We took them to Build-a-Bear afterwards and they made each other a remember me bear. They had a good time, although they made more of a 'this is the kind of bear I want for myself' thing rather than one focusing on the other.... but I'm pretty sure that is age appropriate...:rolleyes:

Oh, Rachel, I forgot, you mentioned you coming to Oregon. I think I missed that somehow earlier, when is your trip going to be? And of course I'd love to see you, let me know when you are in town! Same with any of you!

Jo, you and me posted at the same time! I had to laugh about your dryer predicament! I agree, only a guy would think of that. Just like only a guy would put little white tiles all over the kitchen, because he would not think about what a pain it would be to keep the grout looking nice...:rolleyes:

Have a fun meeting with your team!

OK yall I added just one pic of the hair. I was having to take them myself and was having a hard time since I dont have a little camera anymore. Our point and shoot camera broke and we have not replaced it. It is hard to buy another camera when you already have 2 high end canon cameras but I do see the "need" for a small one after all the difficulty of my self portraits:rolleyes:

I know it sounds super silly to say I think my haircut has changed my life but I think in this case it might just be true. I have been stuck in a hair rut for I can not tell you how many years and just always pretty much just keeping my hair up in a ponytail or bun.
With this new cut I feel like I have so many options. I did not know my hair was so versatile. Don't laugh but it took 4 trips to the hair salon to get it this short. You can cut more off but you can not add more to so I guess I was careful but now I am carefree! :D:D:D

Jo-I hope you got your dryer reset!!! What a pain in the butt.
I am sure I am going to have some questions for you. We have not got our packet in the mail yet but I am sure it will be in within the next week. DH and I are not travel planners so we might be flying by the seat of our pants!

Kim-My friend went to Canada! He is a fly by the seat of his pants type of guy too and I think he just got up one morning and decided to go. He has a job where he works 7 days off and 7 days on so if he takes a vacation for a week, he gets 3 off! Is that not great! I am not exactly where all he went but I he went to a hockey museum!

Cendrine-I will be looking forward to getting to meet up with you! Maybe by then you will be able to point us to some great vegetarian hole in the wall eateries! I have just heard so many great things about Portland and am so looking forward to this trip!

We might get busy this week but I will try to pop in and out!;)

Rachel

Goodness, it's been a crazy exhausting weekend, up at the cottage with mom, and girls, did tons of spring cleaning. The cottage has been locked up since October so tons to do.Then did the weekly cleaning at home. Today was a 11 mile run (in the rain:() which made me feel nauseous and then I still had to take my mom shopping as she needed to buy birthday gifts for 2 of the grandkids. When she went to pay she had difficulty remembering how to use her credit cards. My gut feeling is that she is having some early signs of dementia which runs in her family. I have been noticing things for a few months, I used to work in community geriatrics so probably pick up on it earlier than my sisters. Ended up on the phone with my sisters this evening discussing it. The whole weekend was just physically and emotionally exhausting.

Love the hair Rachael!!! How interesting for your friend, to go and work in another country! The hockey hall of fame is in Toronto so my guess is that is where he is. How was the birthday party??

Jo How did the meeting with the team go?? Glad you got the washer fixed,:( on the dryer. I got our dryer fixed on Friday, and it was under warranty so didn't cost anything:D:D Actually a dryer sheet had somehow got caught in the fan?? Well let's say the kids are excited about the cottage. The cottage needs a ton of work/TLC! I think for the adults it's going to be a working summer at the lake.

Cendrine, we did have fun together, the 4 girls doing the spring cleaning. The spring cleaning means cleaning out the mouse poison, sanitizing the well, stuff like besides the housecleaning, it's a cabin in very rough wilderness which gets locked up for 6 months so some of it can be icky. The well always takes a while to get going and can really stink initially. We called a plumber this year and last to meet us, as the water system is in a crawl space, and to turn it on for the year someone needs to crawl under the cottage and then due to the frost the water treatment tank needs to be lifted out, the soil dug and replaced. We can't clean without the water, and if the guys aren't coming out, I didn't really want to try. My mom wanted me to go under and learn how to do it so I could do it next year:roll eyes:

Disneyland and BUild a Bear in one day!! What an exciting day! LOL, on the kids making the bears that they like. Good luck on finishing up the last week of school this week!

Sorry if my post became bit of a vent! I think I needed it.

Rachel, I love that hair cut! it looks great on you! Thanks for sharing the picture! When I tweak my own hair, I ususally take it in stages too.... I have done too much before and my hair couldn't grow back fast enough...lol!

It will be fun to meet up with you! Maybe Jo will happen to be visiting her mom and we can all hang out...:cool:

So today we got the GE guy to come and look at our stove. it has not been working right and he had to order a spare part and will fix it next week. then I called the window cleaners and they were able to come hit my house within 10 min. of my call! They were so fast and did a nice job, now don't any bird dare do anything to my clean windows until the house is sold...lol!

I'm taking the kids to a mission about 30min from here for a fieldtrip tomorrow. I decided it would be irresponsible not to take them to it while we have a chance, since Portland does not have missions....:rolleyes: should be fun and helps make this last week of school lighter and fun to remember.

Sorry for the sporadic posts from me lately, but I know you guys understand!

Jo, how are classes going for you?

Kim, how is the running coming along?

Rachel, when did you say your trip was?

Quick note...I am totally MIA but wooeee what a week! Dryer got fixed. It was a clogged pump and while I held the machine back DH emptied water and yup..it was clogged with rug fibers that fell apart when SS was washing his bathroom rugs.

I have had several job opportunities this week and interesting...none of them are ones I have applied at but people I know through networking that have approached me. Two are consulting jobs and the other is a VP position with another startup.

School is going great! I ordered my cap and gown, all my paperwork is turned in and I'm officially graduating (I think!). I guess until I hear from the registrar I won't know. But I don't owe money, books, fees, completed all required other stuff. I should be good to go! Oh and things are going well my team. We are meeting twice a week. This team isn't as strong as my team last session but I think we'll do okay. I keep taking over (don't mean to) because none of them have experience in what we are doing (but I do!). Got to have an A!

Have been trying to get in at least 20 -30 minute workouts. It's slow going as I let myself get so out of shape. So for example, I made it through 30 minutes of Body Max 2 today and had to stop. I also have tried Cardio Supersets - didn't make it through the whole thing but I can tell my endurance is increasing. A long way from doing the entire Cardio Fusion!

Kim, OMG on the 11 miles! You are screaming! LOL! I'm sorry about what's happening with your mom. My friend's mom had severe dementia and it was really a struggle. This is when we all start becoming parents to our parents.

Rachel LOVE the hair! It is so stylish and cute! You look completely different! Cute cute cute!!! :D:D Also, yes, if you come to the NW and I can, I will drive down. Where Cendrine is moving is just a little over 3 hours from me and then it's another 45 minutes to my moms.

Cendrine, you're right about hitting the missions and stuff before you leave. There are some wonderful historical places in Portland and surrounding areas because of the Oregon trail and places where the settlers first came. Much different from the missions but very interesting. Portland has a great zoo too. I haven't been there in years, but you'll find there's lots of interesting history.

In the middle of all this, DH went and bought a popup trailer yesterday so we have to go pick it up in a little bit. Graduation is 6 weeks from tomorrow!!!!

Last edited:
Had another team meeting tonight with school group. We're making progress! Came home with new popup trailer - I named it Pete. (I don't know why!) Will post a picture when we open it up. DH and I need to make a list of things we need for it (like coffee maker! LOL!)

Forgot to tell you guys something. Wednesday, I met with the owner of a company from Pakistan that I have done business with. I have hired his services to do offshore work for me with two different companies. I had hired him again with my last company just before I got layed off. Anyway, he called me a couple of weeks ago to see if I could meet him for coffee since he would be in town (I've known him about 10 years). Anyway, he brought me the most beautiful handmade rug from Pakistan. It is so beautiful and without him knowing anything about my house...it matches my colors perfectly, but I don't know where to put it! It's big enough to put under a dining room table, but I'm afraid Ibo might ruin it! Anyway, it was very kind and special that he brought this to me. It was just an appreciation of the business I've provided him. It was so nice!

Okay, I'm off to bed! Really feeling BM2 tonight even if I can't get very far through it! LOL!

Hope you all have a great weekend! It's supposed to be in the high 70's this weekend so all the NW people will be out in droves! LOL!

What a fun gift, Jo, it sounds big and heavy! The pop-up trailer sounds great too! More camping in your future... :)

Last day of school and dhs last day at work yesterday! We will do almost all the rest of packing in the next few days because we are going camping (planned this a long time ago with friends and just didn't want to cancel) thur-sun, then Dhaka will be out of town right until day before the movers show up... so we will try to hit everything now and live out of a suitcase.....

It was a whirl wind week! Sorry for the MIA. I know we are all sporadic but at least we are consistently sporadic, right? ;):D:D

We have been inundated with a ton of little jobs so we have been here and there and everywhere! I don't mind these little jobs so much anymore. I used to like to know where I was going to be everyday but it is kind of a nice change of pace to have some jobs that you can whip out in a short amount of time!

I love that you all love my hair! It seems to be a hit with everyone. I did not realize what I was missing. I never thought I could wear my hair this short but I just love it.

Cendrine-What a great suggestion!
We have not pinpointed the exact dates yet but it is going to be toward the end of August. I thought I read somewhere that that was the best weather possibilities...but being that the weather is so unpredictable these days, I am sure we are not going to bank on anything.
I just can not believe your move is coming so fast! It just seems like you were just talking about moving and here you are!

Jo-Love that your friend brought you a rug! I would love to see a picture.
YOUR GRADUATING!!!Eeeeek That is just so crazy! What are you going to do with all your spare time? LOL

Kim- DO you have a lot of trips planned to the cottage this year?
I know you have probably posted but when is your marathon? I am just so impressed with you everyday!

OK break times over...I still have to clean the kitchen before I can really relax!

Happy Mother's Day! I think it was a busy week for all of us, sporadic posting this week! Hopefully we all have life calm down a bit so we can enjoy some summer!

Jo So are you looking at taking any of those job opportunities?? It would be nice to take some vacation time before you start to work again? I bet your group is happy with having an experienced person lead the project to a A! Sounds like some great new toys, a camper and the rug! I don't know if you remember but we got a pop up camper 3 years ago. We have really enjoyed it! I actually haven't made any reservations for camping for this summer, I think we will park it at my mom's cottage and try to go up to the cottage a little more often. DH's sister/BIL stored the camper this year for us as they live in the country, we are going to pick it up on Tuesday.

Cendrine I'm glad you are getting some fun events in before the move. I bet the kids are excited! My kids are starting to count the days left before school ends but they go until the end of June.

Rachael I think we will try and spend more time up at the cottage this summer but no specific plans. I do have some vacation time over the summer.The half marathon is Father's day so another 5 weeks I think. Today we are doing a 12 mile run!!

I have been in a fitness funk lately! I just can't seem to get into any type of routine this spring. I either go all out with 12 mile runs, doing all of hardcore extreme in one week, etc or I don't do anything for days on end. Work is really crazy busy, I have an intern with me for 2 months which is causing lots of extra work so working extra hours that takes a lot of my energy. Then the long runs zap my energy and I've been spending lot to time/emotional energy dealing with my mom. The result is that I go 3 or 4 days not getting any workouts in and then I go super heavy for a day or two and then start the whole thing over.
I'm just frustrated with things right now.

The next few weeks are crazy as the kids finish off school and all their extracurricular activities like band concerts, piano exams, dd is doing the 1 mile in track and field, hockey playoffs, swimming lessons high school exams.I have the intern, we are training for the race. Cottage stuff. I'm really trying not to stress about fitness except to get some running in for the next month.

Then I really would like to switch back to morning workouts with the Cathe June rotation. I love doing my Cathe workouts and have the one hour of day of me time. I have to admit that I feel that has been taken from me and I need to get it back. I'm really feeling that I'm entering that sandwich generation (looking after kids and parents), working full time and losing my own time. I really need to find a way to get it back before I get resentful. Sorry I know I'm whining.

Mother's Day plans for anyone?? Yesterday we took DH's mom, and grandma, and my mom out for lunch at this old house in the country, very cute, they really enjoyed but it took the whole afternoon! This evening my sister is having a dinner for her niece's 13th birthday and mother's day.

I feel so accomplished! Just finished AfterBurn. I did so much better with it! I've finally got the hang of the discs, was able to up my weights a tad (just a tad) and made it through the whole thing just improvising on pushups. I finally feel like I'm getting my mojo back! (Course you know I still have a ways to go...but I'm just sayin...) :p

I'll come back and post again as I have to run do an errand...but have more to share!

Boy is it crazy around here! I miss you guys, I miss my workout routine, I can't wait to get resettled.... but at least things are coming together quite nicely, I think.
We are almost all packed now, which feel good!

Jo, I'm so excited for you and the progress you are making with your workouts, I'll be a couple of weeks behind you trying to catch up... lol!

I'm going to take the kids to see the Disney fireworks this Sunday and then the world of color show at California adventure, it will make for a couple of late nights, but hopefully also happy memories! Tonight is boycott farewell pool party, it's 80 degrees, so perfect, Monday is strawberry picking Daisy outing and farewell, we have a jam packed schedule....:rolleyes:

But at least I won't be sorry we didn't do more!

Wow Cendrine! So when do you actually move? I can't wait for you to be closer to me!!! We may be able to see each other a couple of times a year! You can meet me somewhere on I5 when I'm on my way to moms and I'll meet you at Bellevue Square when you're here to see in-laws! LOL!!!

Okay, so didn't get back yesterday. Here's the skinny. Friday after coming home with the popup trailer, I said to DH (mind you I'm the innocent bystander here! LOL!). Have you always wanted a popup and I didn't know it? Or have you considered us getting a trailer? Long story short, after spending the weekend back up at the trailer/camping place, we took back the popup and bought a 25 foot trailer! LOL! Then yesterday, DH calls me and says we have to get a bigger truck! LOL! Are you kidding me? So the trailer is awesome: queen bed, 3 burner stove with small oven, popout for the couch, bench seating for kitchen, shower and toilet. I LOVE IT!!!!!!! Crazy huh? But we decided we'd be keeping this for at least 10-15 years and SS is grown, to a trailer makes more sense for us (not that a popup wouldn't work) but with the kind of weather we have here, we can camp year round, where with popup we're more limited.

Saving this and starting new post so I don't lose it!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.