STS 1RM question

jengollf

Cathlete
I posted this on the STS forum, but decided if people aren't currently doing STS, they might not see it. So posting it here, too!

I am sure this question has been posted a bunch of times already, but this will be my first time doing STS, so I'm full of questions. I am currently doing Xtrain and plan to start STS April 1. I have never done 1RM before. I understand how to do it, but I have a few questions. First, with my starting date being a month away and I'm currently doing Xtrain--how long should I wait before I start my 1RM testing to get the most accurate results? I'm asking because there are 95 exercises on the 1RM chart--which will clearly take some time to get through. Should I start now, a whole month out or wait until 1-2 weeks before I start?

This leads me to a few more questions. How have other people spaced out their 1RM testing? (a few each day? or a cranked most of them out over a few day period?) Also, there are stars next to each exercise indicating the importance of doing 1RM testing for it. There are 44 four and five star exercises. Those will be the ones I will definitely do 1RM for--but what about the 3, 2, and 1 star exercises? Any that you recommend I don't bother doing 1RM testing for? Just looking at the exercises on the chart, I will probably do all of the 3 stars, too--but I'm not sure about the 2 and 1 stars.

Any thoughts, advice, recommendations would be appreciated. I am very excited about starting STS!

1 rep test

I would wait until a week or 2 before you start STS to do the rep test. I did it in a week and used that as my workouts for that week. I focused on the 5 and 4 stars only as well... good luck, I really liked doing STS and plan to do it again soon.

I would wait until a week or 2 before you start STS to do the rep test. I did it in a week and used that as my workouts for that week. I focused on the 5 and 4 stars only as well... good luck, I really liked doing STS and plan to do it again soon.

Thanks so much for replying! I can't wait to start--but for some reason I feel this big dread factor about doing the 1RM testing. But I am going to do it!

I'm in the same situation as you. I'll finish XTrain March 30, then I'm giving myself a week to do 1 rep max testing and other workouts, then I'll start STS on April 8. Not sure if 1 week will be enough, but I'll use 1RM testing as my strength workouts that week. Will probably do a little every day, stopping any given body part when I think it's too tired to get a fair result.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.