Strong will, but weak arches...

Dear Cathe,

Could you suggest a good workout shoe for me? I do cross-training: weight training and lots of cardio - mainly step, drills and aerobics, 5x a week - and because of my flat feet, my arches and legs start aching immediately - way before my cardio limit. Your workouts are challenging enough without this added hindrance. I workout at home, so I don't have the benefit of aerobic flooring either. Can you suggest a good sneaker for me? The internet is proving to be of little help.

Thanks for your time and expertise. I think you're the best.

Tina Pellicone

Hope you don't mind me responding, I have VERY flat feet as well and have searched high and low for the perfect shoe. Can't seem to find one. I've settled on the Nike Premier Running Shoe and I buy Spenco inserts to put inside the shoe. I haven't had any pain since I've done this. Ryka shoes are usually good as well, but I always have to buy inserts - no matter what brand of shoe I wear.

I also have very flat feet, and I pronate badly. About thirteen years ago, an orthopedist told me, that in order to run and work out, I needed orthotics. He made a cast of my foot and made the orthotics for me. They have helped me a great deal.

Tina,

Hope you don't mind me chimming in.

I have the flattest feet in the world. I use a shoe linning support from Burkinstock for any shoe I would like to wear. Many years ago my podiatrist recmmended using this brand name. I'm still using them, and my feet are never in pain whatsoever, not ever.

Good Luck,
Janie

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.