Stomach Bloating

naynay

Cathlete
This past week I have noticed that my stomach has stated to bloat, and it is driving me crazy. I am not sure if it could be these south beach living bars I have started eating or if it could be all of the abdominal work I have been doing. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make it stop. I am getting really annoyed I don't like looking and feeling fatter. Thanks

I know how you feel. I have been trying very hard to eat cleaner and my stomach has been bloating especially at night. I have found that drinking lots of water helps. I hope it will stop completely as my system gets used to the increase in fiber.

I'm not familiar with the south beach ones, but some bars have some sugar alcohol stuff in them, I cant remember the technical name(s) for it, but it can make you gassy and bloaty. If you just noticed the bloat since you've started eating the bars, maybe they're part of the problem? I like Larabars, because they just have a couple ingredients, like dates, cherries, almonds, etc... Maybe try upping your water intake and easing off the bars and see if that helps??

Good luck to you...

the bars do have sugar alcohol in them (3g) but sugar alcohol has never effected me before. I have upped my fiber a lot so maybe that is part of the problem. So I guess I will lay off the bars and drink a lot more water and hopefully it will stop soon. Thanks

Bars are the one non-clean thing I eat, and certain ones make me bloat, esp Kashi bars. I don't seem to have problems with Zone bars though - high protein, carbs are about 24g. I think I'm going to check out the Lara bars.

The sugar alcohol is called maltitol and it can cause bloating and can also work as a laxative in some cases. Depending on the person, too much maltitol causes stomach discomfort and moves from there.

Sometimes when I feel really bloated I will take a colon cleanse tea, and that gets rid of the bloating.

It could be the fiber. Try skipping the bars for a couple of days and see if it goes away. You can take Gas X if you are having excess air build up in your gut. Sometimes those commercial bars have excess sodium in them and cause you to retain fluid, try adding potassium (salt substitute) to your food in addition to regular iodized salt and that may help with water retention.

I don't tolerate sugar alcohols at all. I do better with just 25 % of the real stuff in baked goods. I make my own fiber brownies with a GF flour and 1/4 c. of pysllium and additional coconut oil. Just eat 1/4 of a brownie, a bite, every day for very regular GI tract. Its much tastier than drinking the stuff and has less additives than commercial bars. Be sure to drink a glass of water with them. I freeze them and take out one brownie, cut it into bite size pieces, and have it as a treat after my workout.

It could definitely be the fiber increase!

I know the Fiber One bars KILL me, (they have like 12g of fiber) and I'm used to eating a lot of fiber. But maybe not all of that at once.

I just read how Pineapple can help with bloating. Also lemon in your water.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.