stomach bloating-help!!!

sham

Hi all,
I need help with my bloating problem.
It is all in the mid-section/lower abs.
I am curious to know that if any of you who had
a bloating problem had results when you lost weight.
I always look slightly pregnant because of this bloat.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Sham:(

The thing that has really helped my lower abs is Cathe's plank work! A couple of months ago I too had that pooch! The only thing I've done differently was clean up the eating and incorporate more planks. My tummy is much flatter now. I may not really enjoy the exercises but they have done wonders! Make sure you're drinking plenty of water too to flush out excess! Hope this helps! Susan

Hi Sham - how are ya?

I found that restricting salt intake & also not eating past 6:00 pm really helps to reduce my tummy bloating

Hi Sham,

First off, some women tend to bloat due to hormonal fluctuations. But I would increase my water intake(1 gallon per day) and decrease sodium intake. Try to keep your sodium between 1500-1800 milligrams per day. And lastly, try to eat only "clean carbs" (oatmeal, shredded wheat, brown rice, potatoes (russet, sweet and red) cream of wheat or cream of rice.

I think this should help reduce the bloating. :)

My suggestion also is,

try not to drink with meals, but drink fluids half an hour before, or after meals, as washing down meals with fluids can cause or contribute to improper digestion which also causes more bloating.

hotchick;-)

I was hoping that Angela (akirkland)would pop in here, she has all kinds of information about how certain foods that are combined improperly can cause bloating. I'm not even a quarter as knowledable on this subject, but I know that you don't want to combine proteins with carbohydrates which we often do. I found that if I cut my carbos, like breads and pastas and eat protein foods alone or with lettuce salads, GREATLY decreases the bloating. My workout has nothing to do with this kind of bloating, strictly food!! Angela, you out there?????

Briee

Hi Sham,
I have had the same problem and occasionally still do. I realized that when I get older my system is changing. The same foods I use to eat that gave no problems, all the sudden would. I talked to my pharmasist and he said to take beano with problem foods. This helped enormously. I can't believe the difference. I recommend the liquid kind and also invest in some gas-x. Good luck!

Sham!

I have had a major problem with my stomach getting very bloated and hard (painful) for about 5 years now. I also had an Aunt that had the same thing. Her Dr. prescribed Charcoal Pills (prescription only) and oderless garlic pills with parsley.(Over the counter) I did not get the charcoal pills but I did go out & buy the garlic pills and my stomach has improved about 98%!!!! I hate to recommend a pill to you but I truly think they have helped me bigtime. Also, keep you very regular, if that is a problem with you??? I think that may have been my problem. Not sure if it is the OIL in the pill, but it works! Hubby cannot take the garlic pills, he is allergic to them, so be careful! He is allergic to many herbs. Just an idea. I cannot believe the difference in how my stomach feels. Good Luck, I know how much it hurts!

Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH http://www.smilies-world.de/Smilies/Smilies_klein_1/wavey.gif If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!!

Hi Sham,

As you can see from the responses you've received, abdominal bloating may have many different causes and can be difficult to treat.

I'd like to emphasize the difference between carrying excess weight around the mid-section and true bloating. All the crunches and planks in the world won't help if your problem is truly bloating. If it is bloat as opposed to fat, you'll notice that it fluctuates throughout the day.

The book Briee mentioned is "The False Fat Diet" by Elson Haas. It's about how our reactions to various foods can cause gas and water retention that leads to that "pregnant" look. He also discusses how hormonal fluctuations contribute to the problem.

He lists seven major offenders you may want to eliminate - at least for a while - from your diet. This is not easily done because these things usually eaten constantly; however, you may be surprised at how much better you look and feel. Then you can begin to add things back in, one at a time, to pinpoint which ones are causing problems for you personally.

Hope this helps,

Angela

Angela,
I just put The False Fat Diet on hold at the library. I definitely have this problem. In the morning my stomach is flat and by the end of the day, it has definitely expanded and feels uncomfortable. I can't wait to find out more!
Lisa:)

if you look up the book title on google there is plenty of info. One article lists the 4 items that should be avoided- wheat, sugar, dairy, alcohol-and 3 strategies: a fruit and vegetable fast, count calories (you maybe be over eating) and change your diet around-if you eat high protein lean more towards veggies etc.

It's reassuring to hear others have this problem! I too wake up with a somewhat flat stomach, but by the end of the day I sometimes look pregnant. So I know it's not really fat (I have some but nothing major) since you obviously can't lose a few pounds on your stomach overnight! I remember having this problem forever. I recall being a teen and wearing a bikini top on vacation. I had a flat stomach and after I ate an ice cream cone, I looked down and was like "whoa" cause I had a little pot belly.

I asked a nutritionist about this years ago and she just said it could be my small frame which seemed like a silly answer. No one seems to know what it is, but I'll check out that book. I don't eat healthy so that's a big factor I'm sure.

thanks

Yep, dairy and sugar are two big offenders.

I'm in the same boat - I am thin and small-boned. By the end of the day, I can look like I'm about seven months pregnant. It took a long time for me to figure out that this was due to problems I was having with various foods. And the kicker is that we often crave the very things that are doing the most harm. Definitely check out the book !

I wonder if this is all related to IBS, irritable bowel syndrome, which I have had for many years. I carry all my stress in my gut. Many healthy foods are hard for me to digest such as beans (talk about bloating and gas)citrus. I love protein shakes but after downing one I look about 3 months pregnant.

Hi, I've been watching this post for several days hoping someone else would mention this. Did you know that ovarian cancer can involve a lot of the same symptoms of IBS? Have you ever read the Gilda Radner Story? If this is something new, I strongly suggest that you talk to your gyno about it. I don't say any of this to worry you. Bloating can be caused by of hundreds of things, many of them mentioned here. Here is a website you can visit if you think it is worth your time:

http://www.ovariancancer.com/default.asp

Please understand I don't know you at all, and have been reluctant to even mention this, but felt like the education is probalby good for all us women and the men that love us.

Hi! I notice that when I eat too many carbs, or the wrong carbs (fried foods, pastries, cakes, cookies, any of such) I bloat up and stay that way for days. I finally tried cutting back on my carbs, even the potatoes and rice, and I did a short 5 minutes stomach routine each day for a week and my bloating disapated. Everytime I eat a cookie or carbohydrate enriched type of food, I bloat up again. I found out that I am very sensitive to carbohydrates and I can only bare to eat wheat bread and brown rice a couple times a week, or else. Also, I found that metamucil works wonders if all else fails. so I have a tablespoon with water once a week. It works.

Yes, I am noticing the same thing. I think that with me it is definitely a reaction to foods. It is hard to change old habits. I have been having a bagel for breakfast for the past 10 years since I never feel like eating anything else and I know it is the absolutely wrong thing for me. What do you eat for breakfast that is low in carbs?

I suffered with IBS off and on for many years. I never knew what to do - doctors like to prescribe antispasmodics which can help with the bloating and discomfort, but don't get at the root of the problem. My condition eventually progressed to ulcerative colitis, at which time I finally got serious about changing my diet and lifestyle.

There is a diet called the Specific Carbohydrate Diet that can work wonders for various gut problems, however, it does take a serious commitment. If you're interested, you can check out the Web site:
http://www.scdiet.org
or read the book reviews at Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...f=sr_1_1/103-7673140-5613440?v=glance&s=books

For a lo-carb breakfast, how 'bout a veggie omelet?

Angela

I noticed an immediate difference when replaced regular dairy products with lactose free products. I try to eat lots of fruit, veggies and get at least 6-8 glasses of water a day.

>if you look up the book title on google there is plenty of
>info. One article lists the 4 items that should be avoided-
>wheat, sugar, dairy, alcohol-and 3 strategies: a fruit and
>vegetable fast, count calories (you maybe be over eating) and
>change your diet around-if you eat high protein lean more
>towards veggies etc.
>
>

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.