Stinky workout clothes

midnight

Cathlete
Hi all,

A lot of my workout stuff is made of coolmax or similar fabric. After a while it seems like no matter how many times I wash the shorts, shirt or whatever, I can't get rid of that sweaty smell. I just wash the stuff with the regular clothes in Tide and throw it in the dryer with a scented dryer sheet. They still smell. Anyone have any ideas?

--Lois

"Don't forget to breathe!"

Try a rinse cycle before actually washing. Perhaps add color safe bleach to the wash also. Visit TJ Maxx and other discount stores for new, cheap and cheerful workout gear!

Clare

Oh my! It must be the fabric. Maybe try OXY CLEAN with detergent.
I remember years ago I worked out at a gym with a bf. He used some sort of wrist strap to grip the weight bars better and they stunk!! x( I couldn't stomach sitting in the car with him when they were there. He said he'd put them in wash and the smell just never got out of them.
Susan C.M.
Nothing should be jiggling, unless it's jiggling off. - Cathe in HSC

I recently saw a discussion about stinky, high-tech fabrics on tv. The manufacturers recommend that you wash them immediately after wearing/sweating in them. Don't leave the soiled items in your hamper. The fabrics, while doing what is intended by wicking moisture, also seem to hold onto odors and body oils. Every once in a while, I wash my high-tech fabrics on gentle-hot, instead of cold. Then hang dry. If they still have a "funk", I get rid of them.

Also use the warm or hot water setting instead of cold. I usually wash my workout clothes on the gentle cycle w/warm water, & I do use liquid fabric softener. I NEVER put my coolmax stuff, or most any other elasticized stuff, in the dryer. It's all line dried & I swear I have workout clothes that are like 10 years old. I have a few pair of shorts that actually cover my navel! LOL!

I would spray them profusely with something that is supposed to neutralize odor (Febreeze), then wash them again, putting some baking soda in the wash water (though that didn't help a pair of pants one of my cats peed on! And I washed it 3 times, sprayed with "cat urine and spray odor and stain remover").

Try Oxyclean and Vinegar. When we brought some of my dad's clothes to my house, they were so smoky the entire house stunk. It took me 4 washes, but I finally got the smell out. I used vinegar and Oxyclean the 3rd and 4th times.

Colleen

Shebeest

I love my Shebeest gear. Sizing is a bit inconsistent, but they offer some flattering, functional clothes.

Debra

I add baking soda to the wash, with Woolite. I wouldn't use regular detergent on technical fabrics. I also air dry. Still, the shirts need to be destroyed after awhile.

Those of you that use warm or hot water, doesn't that shrink your clothes??

Debra

I use warm water and regular detergent from supermaarket for all my workoiut clothes and line dry on a line I rigged up in my basement. I never have "stink" problems, and no shrinkage!

Clare

I wrote in to Cathe a couple years ago about this very thing and she reccomended I use Febreeze fabric deoderizer for the washer ...really works!:)

Kathyrn:

"Nature's Miracle" for cats is the ONLY product that will get the cat smell out of anything... when we got feline #3 (ok, we are cat gluttons but he is SO BEAUTIFUL!!!) :) ... we had some spraying issues until everyone was comfortable with their spot in the hierarchy. NM was the only product I've ever found that actually gets the smell out...

Maybe it will work for human sweat, too. ;-)

Good luck!

Marie

Vinegar: I use vinegar for towels and washcloths during the rinse cycle. I've used vinegar for clothes that were left out in a box in the rain and they smelled moldy. The vinegar got rid of the smell.

Nature's Miracle may also work (as suggested above). If this can get rid of the smell of cat urine or something my dog does, it should help you. You can get this at Petsmart.

Shirley

There is a product for this -- it's called Penguin Sport Wash, and its sold in running stores. I saw an ad for it in one of the fitness magazine, and I think they have a website as well. I haven't tried it, I mostly use tactel which seems to wash better than other fabrics, but this product may be worth a try if other methods don't work.

I thought I read somewhere that you weren't suppose to use fabric softener on wicking workout clothes. Negates the wicking properties or something like that. Anyone else hear this before.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.