Stereotactic Breast Biopsy?

I was wondering if anyone has ever has this procedure done. My mammogram showed some microcalcification clusters and I am scheduled to have this done on Tuesday. I want to know first off, how badly does it hurt, what is the recovery time and most importantly, when can I work out again? Also has anyone had these types of clusters?

I know they are doing the biopsy in conjunction with a digital mammogram and my breast will be in a compressed mode for about an hour. Seems like a long time to me!

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

It is scarier looking and sounding then the actual biopsy. The only painful part is the shot to numb you but it does not last long then you are numb and really do not feel anything. The table is hard think it is made out of lead. And to me the hardest part was not moving until they were done. There was no pain afterwards and just a small hole that they cover with a bandage. I drove myself there and back without any trouble. Good luck.

Carolyn, I don't know anything about it, but I'm sending ((((hugs)))) and good thoughts your way! Good luck!

Thanks Jodi, I hope things have been going well for you. I haven't seen you on the forums in a while,

Kew - I'm assuming your biopsy results came back with good results.

your question

I had it done about 5 years ago, it was no big deal. don't wear a bra you really like because the iodine or whatever they use gets all over it. I worked out the next morning. Good luck
99% of the time calcifications are nothing.

I had the same procedure done in 2008. I spent about an hour laying on my stomach. The needle used to numb the area was painful but not the worst part. I don't believe that I took more than two days off and just started back with lighter weights. Hope all is well - been down that road myself. The worst part was waiting for the results.

Re: biopsy

Hi, this is actually the first time I have ever posted anything to the Cathe forums. I have been a long time lurker. To answer your question, I just had the same type of biopsy this past Wed. 1-27. I actually found the experience somewhat uncomfortable. It took a bit for that particular area of the breast to numb up. I actually felt the sensation of the needle being threaded into my breast, it stung and burned. So the radiologist had to use a little more of the local. (I might be a little more sensitive to pain.) After that it was ok and I didn't feel anything. It is now Saturday and the area is still a little tender. I am going to try to work out today. My results came back and it was really good news. All in all it wasn't that bad. Carolyn, I hope everything goes well for you (i.e.pain-free) and I am sure it will. Thoughts and prayers. Val P

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.