Step Workouts

Candice2015

Cathlete
Other than Basic Step which I found at Goodwill. What is the best Cathe DVD to learn the step moves. I like step workouts, but really need to work on my coordination without getting frustrated. Sometimes I think I will never get some of these moves right and she makes them look so easy in the different series.

You may want to try Cathe's Low Impact Step + Total Body Sculpting next--URL below--which is also considered Beginner. Here's an excerpt:

"This 40 minute, beginner to intermediate, low impact step routine is fun and easy to follow. This DVD should be your next purchase from us after you have mastered Cathe's Basic Step + Body Fusion DVD."

Best of luck! I think Cathe's stepping workouts are innovative, a lot of fun and incredibly addicting

Go back to her early step routines; I recommend Step Jam. She uses the 8" step in those, but if you're a beginner, use the step top only. Those early workouts are broken down into three clear, separate sections, with each section getting a little more complicated and advanced. You can focus on one section at a time, get to know that, then work on another section.

Go back to her early step routines; I recommend Step Jam. She uses the 8" step in those, but if you're a beginner, use the step top only. Those early workouts are broken down into three clear, separate sections, with each section getting a little more complicated and advanced. You can focus on one section at a time, get to know that, then work on another section.

Never heard of Step Jam. Will have to see about getting. Thanks.

Candice2015,

Today I did BodyMax2 and thought Combos 1,2 and 3 might also be an option for you. Cathe breaks down the moves one by one, has you practice them a number of times, then puts the sequences together. I think it's doable if you're comfortable doing Low Impact Step and Body Sculpting.

If some of the trickier steps such as a reverse V are too confusing, besides rewinding a few times, it can be modified by staying in front of the step and doing either alternate V steps or repeating the V step on one side. and switching to the other to ensure even legs :)

Also, the beginning section where she does a V step on the step then another off the step turning away from it is one I never do, I merely walk a few paces backward do the V and walk forward again. I only do that as I have an issue with dizziness, but it's an option if turning seems complicated. I hope these suggestions don't put you off trying the workout.

After a few tries and patience with yourself you may find the step workout doable. Maybe you could watch the preview and decide? Just a suggestion on another step workout. BTW, IMHO the music is infectious and motivating.

Candice2015,

Today I did BodyMax2 and thought Combos 1,2 and 3 might also be an option for you. Cathe breaks down the moves one by one, has you practice them a number of times, then puts the sequences together. I think it's doable if you're comfortable doing Low Impact Step and Body Sculpting.

If some of the trickier steps such as a reverse V are too confusing, besides rewinding a few times, it can be modified by staying in front of the step and doing either alternate V steps or repeating the V step on one side. and switching to the other to ensure even legs :)

Also, the beginning section where she does a V step on the step then another off the step turning away from it is one I never do, I merely walk a few paces backward do the V and walk forward again. I only do that as I have an issue with dizziness, but it's an option if turning seems complicated. I hope these suggestions don't put you off trying the workout.

After a few tries and patience with yourself you may find the step workout doable. Maybe you could watch the preview and decide? Just a suggestion on another step workout. BTW, IMHO the music is infectious and motivating.

Thank you for the suggestion. I will have to look at getting BodyMax2.

What helped me was I would just learn a combo at a time. There’s a lot of rewinding but well worth it and there’s still times when I still do that even after all these years. Lol

I learnt the combos by just doing my best. Maybe not trying to learn them, but following as well as I could. A few trickier moves required rewinding, for sure, but mostly, I recommend relaxing and letting it flow. When you get tense, the learning process becomes very hard, with step as with pretty much everything. So remember, you aren't being marked on this, you're doing it for yourself, and you're doing your best.

Hi! I don’t know if you have the big step or the little step. But, when you are learning Step my suggestion is to not use risers at all. Just use the basic bench. You are learning and if you have one riser on each side you will more to think about, and right now all you need you need to think about is where your feet is going on the step. Also, don’t worry arms, that will come later.

When you get more experience and confident you will add arms and then the risers.

As to Cathe Step Workouts. I agree the next workout should be Low Impact Step, Cathe is wearing the Red Tank Top. Once you feel you are confident, I suggest got to Cathe LowMax, but don’t do it all. Go to the premix and do Steps Combos only. It is 44 mins and it doesn’t have any jumping over the Step. Once you feel confident about that, you can try the Step blasts, but remember that dvd is 67 minutes.

Body fusion is a another good one, but it has weights, but you could fast forward those sections. It has different moves then Lowmax and Low-impact. Body Fusion is a little more intermediate because of the different moves.

If you are really a beginner, I wouldn’t suggest Step Moves. You will get frustrated because you be going around the step and it won’t make sense to you. It isn’t your fault.

Also, once you get that go Cardio and Weights, just do the the Step part. Now, if you frustrated on that then you have gone to far, but if not continue. Also, IMAX 2 is hard, but the moves are kind of simple if you want to check that out.

I tell you what I did I my Step journey.

Basic Step
Low Impact Step
LowMax (I only did 10 mins my try and it was no risers. My thought was how does anybody complete 67 mins, but eventually I did and on one riser each)
Body Fusion
Cardio and Weights
IMAX 2
Step Moves
Step Blast
Athletic Step
Travel Fit (no Step)
Lower Intensity Step
Intensity

It isn’t prefect, I am on one riser each, but the main thing is do your best. Rome wasn’t built. Be proud your doing something then lying on the couch!

Hope this helped a little,
Jen Den

I really enjoy Step Moves. It's just a fun video!
Hi! I notice that you love Step Moves! If you have Cathe Live Cathe incorporates Step Moves in it. Cathe Live #192 Advance Step Choreography It is cool that when your doing it, I was like, this is from Step Moves. If you have Cathe alive, check it out!

Jen Den

Hi! I don’t know if you have the big step or the little step. But, when you are learning Step my suggestion is to not use risers at all. Just use the basic bench. You are learning and if you have one riser on each side you will more to think about, and right now all you need you need to think about is where your feet is going on the step. Also, don’t worry arms, that will come later.

When you get more experience and confident you will add arms and then the risers.

As to Cathe Step Workouts. I agree the next workout should be Low Impact Step, Cathe is wearing the Red Tank Top. Once you feel you are confident, I suggest got to Cathe LowMax, but don’t do it all. Go to the premix and do Steps Combos only. It is 44 mins and it doesn’t have any jumping over the Step. Once you feel confident about that, you can try the Step blasts, but remember that dvd is 67 minutes.

Body fusion is a another good one, but it has weights, but you could fast forward those sections. It has different moves then Lowmax and Low-impact. Body Fusion is a little more intermediate because of the different moves.

If you are really a beginner, I wouldn’t suggest Step Moves. You will get frustrated because you be going around the step and it won’t make sense to you. It isn’t your fault.

Also, once you get that go Cardio and Weights, just do the the Step part. Now, if you frustrated on that then you have gone to far, but if not continue. Also, IMAX 2 is hard, but the moves are kind of simple if you want to check that out.

I tell you what I did I my Step journey.

Basic Step
Low Impact Step
LowMax (I only did 10 mins my try and it was no risers. My thought was how does anybody complete 67 mins, but eventually I did and on one riser each)
Body Fusion
Cardio and Weights
IMAX 2
Step Moves
Step Blast
Athletic Step
Travel Fit (no Step)
Lower Intensity Step
Intensity

It isn’t prefect, I am on one riser each, but the main thing is do your best. Rome wasn’t built. Be proud your doing something then lying on the couch!

Hope this helped a little,
Jen Den

Helps a lot. Thank you

Cathe taught me how to step! I used to take in-person step class at a women’s-only fitness center and the instructor (who knew me, btw) used to make fun of how uncoordinated I was. During class!

The suggestions above are spot on and I agree with them. Two suggestions I would add:
Repetition
Patience
Like all good things, step skills come with practice. Think of it as learning how to dance or play piano. You have to practice.

The cool thing about learning step — and being proficient at it — is that once all the moves are “second nature”, step is LOADS of fun. It keeps my brain busy and the workout just flies by. That’s why step is still my favorite cardio. Y’all can run all you want to, I’ll be hopping up on my step. ;)

My first Cathe step workout was All Step. Although, I wouldn't necessarily recommend that if you are just starting out. It frustrated the heck out of me at the time, but I kept practicing it and finally got it down pat! Then I kept adding in more Cathe's and found that the more of her workouts you do, the easier they all get. She uses the same (familiar) sequencing in her routines. If I try and do some other instructors' step workouts, I feel like such a clutz. But, when Cathe puts out her new step workouts, I pick it up rather easily. So, once you learn Cathe's step style, you can look forward to trying out her newer step workouts. I'm not saying they won't take a little practice to nail down, but it will be easier to learn.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.