Step Mishaps!

sarahmj

Just thought I`d give everyone a laugh with my little accident during todays step workout. I was happily doing Imax 2 when I somehow managed to stand on my own foot resulting in me tripping and landing on my butt on the step. I ended up just sitting their laughing while Cathe and crew continued to step. Just wondering if anyone else has had any funny mishaps while working out?

I misstepped, turned my foot inward, tore ligaments and put me on the couch for a few weeks. I can laugh now though I didn't think it was very funny then.

Sarahmj- that is funny!! While I have also tripped, fallen a gazillion times and severely sprained an ankle once. I'm pretty sure I haven't stepped on my own foot!! You win!

I have to wonder if Cathe and her crew ever have any mis-"steps". Hey! maybe the next DVD that should produced is out-takes of the filming!

Pam

Well, I wouldn't call this funny, but this past May I fell while doing a step workout and broke my wrist.

I wasn't doing anything complicated when it happened, but the step top slipped off the risers while I was on it. I fell backwards and put my wrist out to break my fall. Bad idea. My wrist broke instead.

I have to say, I didn't think anything like this could ever happen to me. I am fit, in shape, coordinated and do a lot of intricate step type workouts.... but trust me...it can happen to anybody. One minute you're flying around easy as pie, and the next minute you're lying on the ground with a broken wrist. :(

Just be careful with step workouts. I have to say, I am done with them. There are just too many other ways to work out and stay fit. No more step for me.

LOL sarahmj! Glad you didn't get hurt!

I have MANY mishaps thanks to my natural clutziness (sp?). I think my personal favorite is I was doing a grapevine (possibly the easiest of all moves besides a basic, right?), tripped over my own two feet, and went right down on the ground mid-grapevine. You just have to laugh at yourself!

That is why I don't do step. I've slipped off the end or side of the step once or twice - no injuries but it just made me very aware of how easy it could be. I would be so pissed off if I injured myself working out in a way that then prevented me from being able to do anything else. I have enough trouble staying consistent as it is! haha.
Hence, I stick to kickboxing and spinning for my cardio. My step is used exclusively as a bench.

My step is used exclusively as a bench.

Wise choice, I have to say!!

Trust me, those of you reading this who don't think step is dangerous... you'd be surprised. I never did before either. My therapist, who I had to go to for 2 1/2 months to get flexion and rotation back in my hand and wrist after the cast came off, told me that she sees a lot of broken wrists from step mishaps.

Sarahmj- that is funny!! While I have also tripped, fallen a gazillion times and severely sprained an ankle once. I'm pretty sure I haven't stepped on my own foot!! You win!

I have to wonder if Cathe and her crew ever have any mis-"steps". Hey! maybe the next DVD that should produced is out-takes of the filming!

Pam

This is a fantastic idea! They really need to post some bloopers on the website. I think we would all get a good chuckle out of those!

This is a fantastic idea! They really need to post some bloopers on the website. I think we would all get a good chuckle out of those!

Sorry, but I'm not chuckling. :(

Maybe I'm being overly dramatic because of my experience, but stepping can really be dangerous. It just isn't funny to me to make light of it.

When I was taking step classes at the gym I tripped on a couple of occasions but thankfully didn't damage anything. I will continue to do step workout but of course am always careful when doing them.

I love step, and I'd be fifty pounds heavier if I hadn't started doing it, which would be pretty dangerous to my health. Most physical activities have a dangerous element to them. My brother is an elite-class runner, and he gets injured all the time, even got a concussion last winter from falling on the ice. You hear all the time about cyclists getting hit and killed by cars. That doesn't mean people stop running and cycling. I intend to keep doing step as long as I'm able, fully aware of the risks involved.

I've done plenty of silly looking things while stepping, but I don't think I've ever actually fallen all the way to the floor. Often, when learning a new routine, I can be heard calling myself a moron :D For safety's sake, I don't use risers until I know a routine fairly well.

I think step is one of the best forms of cardio you can do, there are just so many elements to it. I wish I had discovered it years ago, I just didn't have any idea what it was, before Cathe. And it's crazy fun!

Stepping gave me a new level of fitness & confidence/strength in my knees that I just didn't have before. It took a lot of time & patience but well worth it, despite any perceived risk. I don't think it's dangerous, but if you haven't stepped in a while, it would be good to take your time and get the steps down, like MKEMom said, before adding risers, etc.

:)

I LOVE step. I agree it can be dangerous, but so can running outside, etc. I just do mine without any risers. I still feel like I get a good cardio workout, and it doesn't feel quite as precarious. With Cathe I've become the most fit of any time in my life, so I have no complaints! :)

I am cluzzy(sp?) so I only ever use 1 riser. My feet have slipped off the edge of the step a few times or I have completely missed the step. Have not been hurt...yet...just laugh at myself and continue on! :)

I have to agree with MKEMom. Sports in itself is dangerous and I think stepping is probably not in the category of one of the most dangerous, so I will continue to do step since it one of the best forms of cardio out there. When Cathe or another instructor says to look where you are stepping it makes me conscious to look down. I have slipped off the side or tripped on the step (not bringing my feet up high enough) many a times. When that happens I get mad at myself because I knew I was being lazy and not doing proper form.

I think I have fallen once that I can remember and yes, I did laugh at myself because thankfully I did not get hurt. I love step too much to give it up. I even love the Firm's TransFIRMer series because of the angle they use the step (even though it's low impact compared to Cathe) but between the incline and Stephanie's tall box climb...it works...lol.

Okay...sorry for rattling on. :)

I have to agree with MKEMom. Sports in itself is dangerous and I think stepping is probably not in the category of one of the most dangerous, so I will continue to do step since it one of the best forms of cardio out there.
Okay...sorry for rattling on. :)

Yes, we can all say that every form of exercise carries some risk. So, nobody is saying give up what you love.

I have to laugh at those of you who say, "Oh, I'm always careful when I step, so I won't get hurt!" Do you think those of us who have been hurt weren't being careful? Quite the contrary. It can happen to anybody... no matter how "careful" or fit you are, or how well you know the routine, or whether you're looking down or up or sideways. I was just trying to get across the point that it CAN be dangerous.

One element to step that a lot of forms of exercise don't have, that makes it a bit more likely to cause injury, is the fact that the step is set up on risers. That is what happened to me... the step bench slipped off the risers while I was stepping up onto it. That caused me to fall. It would cause anybody to fall, so just be wary of the fact that it can and will happen. Hopefully you won't be as unlucky in your landing as I was.

And, like I mentioned above, I heard it from the horse's mouth... one of the most common exercise injuries my physical/occupational therapist sees is falling on or over a step.

Last edited:
Thank you for this discussion.

I'm torn. I love step, but agree with JeanneMarie about the risks - particularly at my age (66).

I have been doing step at home, but only using the platform with no risers. I get a sufficiently good workout that way that I won't risk using a riser. But tripping/falling is still a possibility. And with furniture nearby and a stone hearth in front of the fireplace, if I started to fall there are things that I might hit and get injured... not to mention the hardwood floor.

Also, I have tried doing the step workouts with no step at all. Just doing the routine on the bare floor. That doesn't get my heart rate up enough, but it's still fun.

My gym offers only one step class per week and I may start going to that for my "real" step workout. There won't be any furniture or a stone hearth to be concerned about and, hopefully, with about 30 people in the class, if someone starts to fall, the other members of the class will reach out to catch me/them. :)

I've had some trip ups as well. Very funny. Fortunately for me they were miner and reminds me to concentrate a little more. Love your funny story.

Janie

JeanneMarie and I have very similar stories and have discussed it in other threads on this board. I too had a catostrophic injury while exercising. Mine didn't happen on the Step, but rather while I was out running. I, like JeanneMarie, am in great shape and have been an athlete all my life. I too put my arm out to break my fall and broke my shoulder in 4 places. It took 2 surgeries, a metal plate, 6 screws, and a year of therapy to get my arm back to a normal range of motion (90%), not to mention an incredible amount of pain. Nothing funny about that.
I have learned a lot of important lessons from this injury. Probably the most important is not to take my health/fitness for granted.
I haven't given up running, but I choose the surfaces I run on very carefully and I don't run in the dark. As far as the Step is concerned, I have retired. For me, the risk of a fall and injury is too great.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.